Freezing Cupcakes....help

Baking By Artsygurl Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 3:11pm by linedancer

Artsygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Artsygurl Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 11

A friend asked me to make and decorate around 100 cupcakes for her wedding at the end of the month. Since I only do this out my home, I have a regular sized oven and only two baking pans.

My question is....if I bake one or two batches of cupcakes at a time how can I best freeze them to ensure their freshness and quality?? I really would appreciate any sure-fire how-to advice and tips! Thanks so much!!

10 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 11

Here is how I do it, works great for me.

I use foil lasagna pans I get at the Dollar Tree (2 pans for $1). Each one holds a dozen cupcakes.

I put ccs in the pan and place a piece of plastic wrap right on top and down around them. Then I put a piece of foil on top of the pan and seal it around the pan's crimped edges. I write on the top what is in the pan and the date.

You can stack them 4 or 5 high because there is space between the top of the ccs and the top of the pan. The foil keeps them from smashing down on to the next one.

To defrost, leave them in the covered pans, on the counter for a few hours.

HTH

Artsygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Artsygurl Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 11

Wow great idea! Thanks so much linedancer!

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 11

Linedancer, do you use regular paper liners or the foil liners? I've found that after freezing or even refridgerating cup cakes the papers separate from the cake. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

linedancer Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 11

Artsygurl You are welcome

Iggy I use regular white liners I get from a cake shop. They come tightly wrapped, so they do not get out of shape. They also just fit into my cupcake pans.

I use a #20 scoop to fill the wells. For me that works just great, no sloppy messes and just the right amount of batter thumbs_up.gif I preheat my oven to 400, then turn it to 350 just as I am putting the cupcakes in. Bake for about 15 min.

I let them sit on a wooden chopping board for 5 min in the pan, then I take them out and put on a cooling rack until completely cool. Then I do the freezing thing.

Have never had the liners separate from the cupcake.

HTH

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 11

Well now I am puzzled because everything I've read on here about freezing cupcakes said to unwrap to thaw because the tops get stick and you'll pull them off when you pull of the plastic wrap. Have you ever had that problem Linedancer?

linedancer Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:28am
post #7 of 11

I always keep them wrapped until they are thawed, then I uncover them for awhile to let the tops dry a little before I ice them. I don't have a problem with the tops pulling off with the plastic wrap.

Maybe it is because, contrary to popular advise here, I don't wrap the plastic tightly. Just lay it over and tuck around the ccs, to put a little barrier to the dry freezer air. The real cover is the foil, which is not right on top of the ccs.

JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:04am
post #8 of 11

That's very interesting! I'm making cupcakes and freezing this week and now I don't know which to do! icon_razz.gif

linedancer Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:34am
post #9 of 11

Try it both ways and see if there is any difference..that would be nice to know icon_smile.gif

JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 11

I will try both! I'll update, I'm doing them Saturday!

linedancer Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%