I Just Dropped A Cake Delivering It. I Need Some Advice.

Decorating By StacyR Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 3:46am by JulieMN

StacyR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyR Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 14

I have cakes in the freezer I can replace it with. How soon can I cover them with fondant? They're already crumbcoated.

I dropped it in front of the client. She's amazing. I'll add more later, but I need to know how quickly I can start over with covering the frozen ones.

Thank you in advance!!

Stacy

13 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 14

How much time do you have?

My initial response was "now."

StacyR Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 14

I have 2 hours. They're thawing and I'm blotting the moisture now. I am pretty sure I can get it all together in an hour and a half. I think I'm going to go ahead and cover them.

Leah, I've always thought you were amazing anyway....THANK YOU!

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 14

kudos to Leah for jumping in, and StacyR for keeping, what sounds to me; like a cool head. Good Luck and sending the best for a positive outcome! icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 14

I'm going to piggyback on this thread:
Do you pros keep cake on hand in the freezer for such emergencies? I've seen Buddy pull cakes out of the freezer in a pinch. It makes sense to keep some "neutral" flavor cakes on hand, if you make lots of cakes.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 14

I don't always have THAT much cake in the freezer, but often I'll have extra batter and will make a round to keep on hand for a quick dessert or for tastings or whatever.

I'm so bad...I pulled one out for my son's birthday cake last week. haha. He wanted marble...and I didn't want to bake two whole batches of cake just to marble a cake for our family...and I happened to have a marble round in the freezer...there ya go!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 14

Naw, that's not bad. That's rotating inventory for quality control. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 14

So sorry this happened to you. Good that you had an extra cake. Normally I would not want to cover a cake with fondant until it was thawed completely but in this case I'd certainly go ahead and cover the cake.

I agree with you about Leah....appreciate and value her input very much.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 14

I make mistakes and sometimes bake the wrong flavor/wrong size. I throw those in the freezer.

StacyR Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:00am
post #10 of 14

Ok ladies...my day is over, my job salvaged and the client is happy. Here is the cake, wrecked one and all!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1737744

I had never frozen before but happened to be reading the forums on it this week, had a cancellation Thursday and threw them in the freezer. The fillings were different on one of them, but the size/flavor was the same. Incredible. I'm still a little in shock over the day. When I delivered the second cake, the client's mom just wrapped her arms around me and let me breathe again. What an amazing family. I tried to refuse payment and they insisted. I'm seeing some free taste testing cakes in their future.

I can't thank you all enough for your encouragement and advice. She texted and said the cake was a huge hit and every piece was eaten and she needed more cards from me. I still can't believe today happened.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:11am
post #11 of 14

Wow, what a nightmare, and what a great save!!

StacyR Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:10am
post #12 of 14

Thanks, Ruth!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:26am
post #13 of 14

Sometimes God lets things happen to us for a reason, you had some great clients, and she will be a great recommendation for you, because you did a great job! awesome save.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:46am
post #14 of 14

Nice job...and under less than ideal circumstances!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%