Pet Peeves On Cc

Lounge By cutthecake Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 7:07pm by KathysCC

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:28pm
post #31 of 351

Pet peeve; not being able to sign into CC!!!

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:50pm
post #32 of 351

As someone that truly enjoys good sarcasm (don't use it often because too many misunderstand and think I am just being mean), I love seeing it used.
However alot of folks don't, as is quite clear from some of the posts on this thread.
I firmly believe there is a need for a sarcastic font. It would save alot of misunderstandings. IMO.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #33 of 351

My biggest pet peeve is there is not a way to organize our favorite photos in different categories. It would be so much easier than going back through my growing cake favorites! There are so many pretty cakes and cookies that I can't bear to delete them. I just love gawking at talent that I don't posess! icon_wink.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:59pm
post #34 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

And the one that sends me into a tizzy: "Quick Question!!!" Yeah, it's quick for you to type but that doesn't mean it will have a quick question!! This one always ticked me off when I worked in an office, too. It's quick to ASK it, but you've no idea how long it will take to ANSWER it.

Well Debi, they DO say it's a quick QUESTION...nothing about the length of the answer! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You should respond, "Come back in 3 hours when I have time to answer you!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

This isn't a pet peeve, but my eyes always cross when I read the posts that say, "I'm making my first wedding cake this weekend: 600 people, 5-tiers, carved and topsy-turvy, buttercream, fondant, figurines, drapes, string work, gum paste flowers...the works! I've never done any of that, so I need tutorials immediately!! I also need tutorials on how to stack a cake. Do I need to use supports? (It's 5 tiers.) Is that enough cake for 600 people? And also, does anyone have a recipe for wedding cake and buttercream?? Throw in a filling recipe while you're at it. It's Friday and the cake is due tomorrow...Is it too soon to start working on it?? Reply ASAP!!!!!!"

icon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm
post #35 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureSister

As someone that truly enjoys good sarcasm (don't use it often because too many misunderstand and think I am just being mean), I love seeing it used.
However alot of folks don't, as is quite clear from some of the posts on this thread.
I firmly believe there is a need for a sarcastic font. It would save alot of misunderstandings. IMO.

I know exactly what you mean, I worked at The Univ. of AL for 16 years and I was always in trouble because nobody understood my dry sarcastic sense of humor! It was always over their heads. I wonder if this is an AL region/southeast thing?

Please reply to my post ASAP because I am sitting here on my laptop right this minute waiting.....

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:17pm
post #36 of 351

I wish people would state what color they use on cakes. I'm so bad with color, it would be nice to go "Oh that's what Americolor leaf mixed with mint green looks like."

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:25pm
post #37 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

Quote:

And the one that sends me into a tizzy: "Quick Question!!!" Yeah, it's quick for you to type but that doesn't mean it will have a quick question!! This one always ticked me off when I worked in an office, too. It's quick to ASK it, but you've no idea how long it will take to ANSWER it.

Well Debi, they DO say it's a quick QUESTION...nothing about the length of the answer! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You should respond, "Come back in 3 hours when I have time to answer you!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

This isn't a pet peeve, but my eyes always cross when I read the posts that say, "I'm making my first wedding cake this weekend: 600 people, 5-tiers, carved and topsy-turvy, buttercream, fondant, figurines, drapes, string work, gum paste flowers...the works! I've never done any of that, so I need tutorials immediately!! I also need tutorials on how to stack a cake. Do I need to use supports? (It's 5 tiers.) Is that enough cake for 600 people? And also, does anyone have a recipe for wedding cake and buttercream?? Throw in a filling recipe while you're at it. It's Friday and the cake is due tomorrow...Is it too soon to start working on it?? Reply ASAP!!!!!!"

This is my biggest peeve too. So frustrating!!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:49pm
post #38 of 351

My biggest pet peeve are the people who complain that no one has commented on their cake photos! Every time I see a thread on this subject I want to reach through my computer screen and throttle the person who posted the message!

And now....I'm off to my rage-aholics meeting. icon_razz.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:58pm
post #39 of 351

Mine is that people post their pics with NO description whatsoever. Especially when it is something new or innovative, and they are happy to answer questions in the comments, but why not just state it in the description? If you KNOW someone is going to ask about something, and you don't mind telling....then TELL us!

Oh, and the posts that ask "Can I make IMBC with a broken spoon and low-fat margarine?"

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:03pm
post #40 of 351

Would Comic Sans be the right font for sarcasm?

My pet peeve is when Indydebi types "return" instead of "enter" twice in the same post. It makes me feel old because I know what she means. LMBO icon_biggrin.gif

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:34pm
post #41 of 351

Persons who don't bother to read or search before asking a question that has been asked at least 20 times in the past year alone.

Persons who don't bother to use any search engine because they "don't have time," but expect others to take the time to answer them.

Persons who can't construct a coherent thought, let alone write it in a readable manner.

Seriously, I think the average IQ of a CC poster has been declining rapidly over the past year or two.

Yep, I've turned into a big, intolerant meanie!

icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:36pm
post #42 of 351

Ohhh....Now these are my 4 pet peeves:

1. When someone says, "I made IndyDebi's buttercream and it was a disaster. I followed the recipe exactly, except I used butter instead of Crisco and left out the Dream Whip. It totally melted off the cake! What went wrong?!?!?!?!"

Same with Sugar Shack's recipe...."It came out with air pockets. I did everything she said, except the part about totally submerging the paddle." icon_rolleyes.gif

2. When someone posts their prize-winning recipe and people start suggesting what they should do differently. So you're left thinking, "Well, should I try this recipe as posted, with the changes, or not at all!!" icon_confused.gif

3. When someone says, "I use (this) recipe all the time, except I change it as follows..." OK, so now it's no longer the same recipe, so you really DON'T use (this) recipe. icon_lol.gif

4. When people try a recipe and don't like how it turns out, so they decide to tweak it. Why not just try a different recipe?? icon_confused.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm
post #43 of 351

Someone started a thread about this particular subject a week or so ago. They said they hated when people ask for a "good" recipe.

No, we only deal with bad ones here!

That's a peeve of mine for two reasons. Obviously people would post "good" recipes here. What's the point of posting bad ones? And secondly, "good" is a matter of taste. Someone could post a "good" red velvet recipe but I might not like that particular recipe because I don't particularly like red velvet cake. Now if they were to ask for "popular" red velvet recipes, that might be a little more effective. At least for me.

And those "rant" threads? I ALWAYS check out the rant threads! So exciting!

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:57pm
post #44 of 351

my biggest pet peeve is when I am just finishing up washing the dishes and someone comes along and puts a dirty dish on the counter!!!!!!!!!!!

oh oh...sorry, my biggest CC pet peeve is:

not being able to save favorite discussions and posts...would love to be able to organize all the good info here...I would love to know how the heck JanH does it!!! icon_lol.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:05pm
post #45 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Someone started a thread about this particular subject a week or so ago. They said they hated when people ask for a "good" recipe.

No, we only deal with bad ones here!

That's a peeve of mine for two reasons. Obviously people would post "good" recipes here. What's the point of posting bad ones? And secondly, "good" is a matter of taste. Someone could post a "good" red velvet recipe but I might not like that particular recipe because I don't particularly like red velvet cake. Now if they were to ask for "popular" red velvet recipes, that might be a little more effective. At least for me.

And those "rant" threads? I ALWAYS check out the rant threads! So exciting!

I love "vent" threads as well...as stale air always recirculates around a good vent.

Here's a bad buttercream recipe:

1 tsp high quality powdered sugar.
2 pounds Crisco.
2 cups salt.
a bunch of meringue powder (gauged by humidity in your area)
forget liquid, tend to the dogs instead.
mix with a broken spoon.

Spread on a frozen cake, leave in the hot sun on your first outdoor wedding.

Enjoy!!

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:06pm
post #46 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

Quote:

LOL!!!! You forgot...How much should I charge & should I have gotten a deposit?

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:08pm
post #47 of 351

I can't stand when people make unrelated or irrelevant comments in a post that makes it too long to read and then you actually miss the items that are helpful. Please, please isn't there an easier way to look at the Most Saved Cake photos? It takes soooo long. I too love the post that say long or rant and am sick of the post that say "How much would you charge?" So my last peeve is that CC make their search feature better and hope that we use it!

VentureSister Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 9:31pm
post #48 of 351

Fyi- if you say "I followed the recipe exactly, except...."
If you followed the recipe exactly, there will be no excepts, buts, or substitions.
cblupe- Sorry to keep you waiting. icon_razz.gif I wondered as well if I am just in the wrong area for my temperment. It defeats the whole purpose of sarcasm or joking if you have to spend the next 15 minutes explaining/apologizing for it.
U of A. I went to Auburn. But don't hold that against me.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:00pm
post #49 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

My pet peeve is when Indydebi types "return" instead of "enter" twice in the same post. It makes me feel old because I know what she means. LMBO icon_biggrin.gif

For anyone else who gets this, watch this funny and VERY short video...

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:35pm
post #50 of 351

One of my pet peeves is when I do a search, I can get hundreds of pages that I don't have time to look through. I refine my search words too much and then I get nothing. And yes, I agree about the people who don't take the time to do a search to get an answer, but that may be why. Perhaps if the forums were "refined" and expanded. I'll bet alot of posts could be deleted as being duplicates, triplicates or quadruplicates! LOl JMHO

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:37pm
post #51 of 351

Those of us of a "certain age" remember it precisely. Who else learned to type on a Remington manual typewriter, not even the "Selectric"?
Type-type-type-RETURN...............

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:39pm
post #52 of 351

Along those same lines of searching on cc. It never seems to bring up what i'm looking for. So I go to google and search, and guess where it takes me, back to cc. Its the quickest way to find things on cc.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:52pm
post #53 of 351

My pet peeve here is when a home baker gets on to ask a question and they feel like they have to validate their license and proof of insurance before they ask the question....not saying THEY annoy me...but it annoys me because a few people will jump on and attack with that "Are you legal...." question so the poor home bakers end up feeling defensive, like their question won't be valid unless they show proof of legality. haha. I guess what I'm trying to beat around the bush to say is that my pet peeve is the self-proclaimed CC police. LOL.

And the fact the galleries are almost impossible to search.

Otherwise...I love CC. thumbs_up.gif

VentureSister Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:57pm
post #54 of 351

-tubbs- That video is hysterical.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:01am
post #55 of 351
Quote:

Dont forget NOT hitting the return key once in awhile to avoid BIG long paragraphs that are just impossible to read!

My peeve is subject lines. Incomplete and vague subject lines. Especially the "dot-dot-dot" lines. You know, those lines that list a partial question and conclude with 3 dots at the end instead of finishing the question?

Some of the actual ones I've seen that just make me shudder are:

- "Cakes" (no kidding. what do you think this site is about?)
- "Icing" (no kidding . what do you thnk this site is about?)

- Any variation of "Do you know ...." / "Does anyone know ..... " / "Has anyone tried...." (I always want to respond to "Does anyone know.....?" with ".....how to finish a sentence?"

- "How long do you think ......?" (I ALWAYS think.)

- "Can I" (finish a sentence?)

- "I was asked to....." (finish a sentence but didn't have the extra quarter for the rest of the words I needed to use)

- "Please help me find ....." (a way to finish a sentence so people will know what I'm looking for)

AMEN SISTER! (And yes, I am shouting.) thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

You took the words right outa my mouth! I pointed this out to one poster and someone went down my throat for this. Vague subject lines do not get you the highest amount of traffic to get some good advice. And try to research a question and get all those vague subject lines. I rather surprised the moderators allow it. I would go insane though having to change all the subject lines.

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:09am
post #56 of 351

Gonna say that I am not fond of the "search"feature on CC... I am positive a few of the questions I have had as a newer member have been previously answered, but I was unable to find them in search before posting the question...so thank you to all those who tolerantly answer questions from us repeatedly... you are appreciated icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:10am
post #57 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncr

Persons who don't bother to read or search before asking a question that has been asked at least 20 times in the past year alone.

icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

I'm with you on that one. Last week in four different days the same question came up about cupcake liners falling off cupcakes. When I offered a solution and some questions to be answered to see if we all could figure out why - crickets. But then over the next three days, three more people asked the same question in new topics instead of searching what had already been posted just the day before.

I'm getting to the point where I am not going to offer help. Not that I'm an expert, but I figured if we all put our heads together we could stop asking the question and figure out why. But nobody seems to be interested in working to find an answer, they just want a quick fix here.

I am a hobby baker and I loathe the ones that say I need a cake and frosting recipe to make a cake. Search the recipe section and start baking. How else are you going to know if you like it?

Can you tell I've been thinking the same things for days now? icon_wink.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:20am
post #58 of 351

I agree with most of these!!!

- Wanting step-by-baby-step instructions on simple things, instead of searching and / or trying things out for yourself

- Whining about no comments on your photos

- How much do I charge??? et al

- The "everybody is so mean" post

- My new peeve: The "I am outta here" kiss-off post. Just go.

I still love CC and will remain here, even if I do go "lurker" at times when things are a little dicey. And even though there are peeves, there are a million GREAT things about this site!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:23am
post #59 of 351

Oh yeah...the step-by-step instructions thing is my other pet peeve.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:24am
post #60 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureSister

Fyi- if you say "I followed the recipe exactly, except...."
If you followed the recipe exactly, there will be no excepts, buts, or substitions.

Lord, I hate that. And not so much here, because you can't see how many stars a person gives a recipe, but other recipe sites where the star rating is attached to the review comment, folks will say,

"I followed the recipe exactly and it was a flop! I used mayonnaise instead of milk because I was out. And only had 1 tsp of baking powder so substituted grated nutmeg (yummers!)for the other tsp. People wouldn't take a second bite!"

And then...they give it a 2 star rating as if it were the recipe's fault that they're an idiot!

People do something similar on Amazon.com.

"I was home all day and the UPS guy left a note saying I wasn't home. I had to drive all the way downtown to pick it up!" Two stars! Why does the UPS guy's incompetence bring down the star rating of this perfectly good product?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%