Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnywigglesworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Former members that have supposedly quit or been banned who are obsessed with sticking around and causing negativity with their fake accounts, passive aggressive postings, and all around immature shenanigans.

(not directed specifically at maryjsgirl)
Several of the "banned" have moved on to BIG things, such as FN challenges, mag covers and other achievements. I know this because some former members are my friends and they are extememly gifted cake artist. It seems shenanigans happen with or without their help, and often mislabled "sarcasm".

I can second this...Whenever any kind of comment is made about former members coming back to cause trouble I roll my eyes, because I know exactly who's being referred to (it's usually the same people making the comments) and the former members really coudn't care less. They're busy doing other things, I hate to break it to you. There will always be disagreements on here, so blaming one group of people is just stupid.

Add assumptions to my list of pet peeves. Although soap box speeches made off of pure assumption are pretty hilarious.

icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif

No assumptions included, I just don't feel like using specific names of specific members who make specific accusations every time some nasty comment comes up. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:53am
post #302 of 351

I'm glad I noticed this thread, because I have a pet peeve that I've been dying to say. I HATE it when there is an interesting thread, and then the OP vanishes, and then there are 50 messages saying, "What's going on?" "Where's the OP?" "I want to know what happened." "Me too" "So do I", so I keep going back thinking "GREAT, new pages, I get to find out what happened next", and it's just pages of nothing. I HATE THAT. It's like facebook where some people have to post every time they have a thought. It's okay not to share every thought in your head!

I also hate when posts that are obviously meant to be in fun are turned into wars. Or when the same thing is said over and over. Sometimes, it's not that nobody understood the first time, it's just that they disagree with you. Some of the threads read like this:

a: Red is best.
b: Blue is best.
a: Clearly, red is best, you obviously have not considered what a superior colour it is.
b: Why can't you just admit that blue is better? It is such a cool colour.
a: But red is better.
b: I did not come here to be abused for my pro-blue beliefs.

I hate it that home bakers are not legal in my province. I think there is too much regulation and home bakers should just be required to mark their goods with a warning like "Unlicensed food production facility. Eat at your own risk." And before anyone gets all upset, if I had a licensed bakery, I very likely would be saying my pet peeve was people who think they should be able to sell cakes from their homes.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:53pm
post #303 of 351

Sometimes if the post was about how to make a cake, I go looking in the person's photos and post a link to the end cake.

Quite often I think they just forget about the post as they are so involved in the activity itself.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 12:25am
post #304 of 351

My biggest pet peeves are the posts with the words rant or vent in the subject line.

7yyrt Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 2:13am
post #305 of 351

My newest pet peeve are people who constantly quote the post in front of theirs when they post.
We can read, you know.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 7:55pm
post #306 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

My newest pet peeve are people who constantly quote the post in front of theirs when they post.
We can read, you know.

I TOTALLY AGREE!! icon_wink.gif

(giggle-giggle)

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:20pm
post #307 of 351

I don't think I've posted it in this topic specifically, but mine is people who start their posts with "Ladies..." or some other female term. Honestly, I stop looking at the thread right then saying, "well, they aren't talking to me."

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:51am
post #308 of 351

I'm not against funny jokes and not taking life too seriously when appropriate. However, I don't see the point jumping in to a "hot" thread with an obviously senseless comment that doesn't apply to the conversation just to be funny or to try to change the tone of the subject matter. icon_rolleyes.gif

7yyrt Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:21am
post #309 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

I don't think I've posted it in this topic specifically, but mine is people who start their posts with "Ladies..." or some other female term. Honestly, I stop looking at the thread right then saying, "well, they aren't talking to me."

I know what you mean; I belong to a mostly male site and they used to always use only male terms.
They're much better now - more women have moved in with obvious names and avatars, so they're a little more aware we're there.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:52am
post #310 of 351
Quote:

you know .... i'm probably guilty of that! icon_redface.gif taking a solemn vow right now to work on avoiding doing that anymore! thumbs_up.gif

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:00am
post #311 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

you know .... i'm probably guilty of that! icon_redface.gif taking a solemn vow right now to work on avoiding doing that anymore! thumbs_up.gif

I'm guilty of it too but my excuse is I spend more time on another cake board thats all ladies. Maybe the occasional man might show up and ask a question, but they never stay long. I am getting better though. I now say thanks everyone, or Hi everyone, instead of Hi ladies, or Thanks ladies, like I've done forever!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:48pm
post #312 of 351

My new pet peeve is people who post a question, then when you ask them for clarification or point something out, they get all self-righteous and tell you to shut up and just answer the question. There seem to be a lot of people coming out of the woodwork who don't want an answer to their question, they just want you to tell them that it's okay to do what they wanted to do in the first place.

Also arrogant people who post with a ton of attitude...

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:50pm
post #313 of 351

costumeczar, God and the IRS. I'm with you totally. I have decided not to help those people. And because I am new in the bakery business, I appreciate every bit of hard business facts that you and others are willing to share.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:27pm
post #314 of 351

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif goodgrief - i hope god isn't in my kitchen -
His ears would burn someimes - especially when i burn myself icon_wink.gif

Bluehue

Ok - so it probably isn't *nice*........ but it made me laugh
but then again its 1.30am and i'm tired icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ps - i think thats the funniest thing you have ever written CCzer
even if the last paragraph was meant to be serious....

i will pay that one. thumbs_up.gif

SugarMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoon Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 6:55am
post #315 of 351

Yay! I got through all 21 pages! I'm a newbie and read it because I wanted to learn proper CC etiquette. This is a different user name than the one that I started with, but not because I'm a troll. I picked this name because my other name was lame. I've already posted a thank-you to so many of you that have helped answer questions this past year. I try not to ask over-asked questions. There are alot of CC superstars that don't know I've been hanging on to every word they've said. Forgive me if this turns into a book, I type 75 word per minute and type like I'm talking.

I'm a hobby baker. I don't sell my cakes. I understand why licensed professional bakers would be offended if I sold my cakes and took business from them. The sad thing is that it's so easy to do because there are so many people out there that just want a cheap cake. It's one of the reasons why I'll probably never pursue a career in cake baking. I have thin skin and hate making people unhappy. I'd probably drive off of a cliff after a week of "I'd never pay more than 30 dollars for a cake." or "Is your cake made of GOLD???"

The search engine IS bad. I have tried being specific. I've tried being vague. I get frustrated and decide to google it, and get a bunch of results from the cake central forum. lol.

I also hate when I do get results, but when I try to get past page 1 or 2 and click on page 2 or 3, I get the dreaded No topics or posts met your search criteria.

There is a black hole sucking informative posts away, I think.
I usually stop reading posts where people start getting catty and start flinging poo at each other. It makes me uncomfortable. As Ive said, Im thin skinned.

I once hopped onto a forum for free legal advice. Its basically a place for lawyers to hang out, chat with each other and answer questions to the ignorant public. It was an awful place. There wasnt much advice, but a lot of judging and putting people down. I asked a question and got attacked from 7 or 8 different people. I went to bed crying and thinking I was an awful person.
Perhaps Im lucky because no one has done anything like that to me here. Im guessing its a combination of good grammar and trying to be as polite as possible.

I admit, though, that I asked a question last night in the wrong forum. Because of this, when my question was transferred The SAME question was only 4 posts below me. *hangs head in shame*

Bluehue Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:04am
post #316 of 351

c'mon...spill the beans - who were you before icon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Everybody here is more than willing to help - and yeah, we all have a day where we can be a bit short fused - usually it has nothing to do with the forum but just something going on in our own backgrounds.

Hang in there. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

SugarMoon Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:56am
post #317 of 351

I was silentsunday, a remnant from my high school days when I was convinced that I was a poet and refused to conform to society's standard of normal... bla bla bla... teen angst, my parents don't understand, and so on and so on.
It's funny how we stick with the email address we acquired over a decade ago. icon_rolleyes.gif
Oh, and I've just discovered I could have just changed the name on the old account if I wanted to. *hangs head in shame...again*

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 10:56am
post #318 of 351

People here are more than willing to post responses, but I think that it's the lazy and the arrogant who get to us. When someone posts something like "what does a rose look like" I just want to post back that they should try google first. And my favorite is the people who don't like the answer that you posted, so they immediately call you snooty. It's so dumb, but it does make you want to stop posting responses because it feels like a waste of time. I've noticed that there seem to be a lot more people like that on here recently, so I haven't been as active on this board in the past few months. It just starts to feel like you're beating your head against a wall of stupid.

Bluehue Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:02pm
post #319 of 351

No need to *hang head in shame* sugarmoon

a remnant from my high school days when I was convinced that I was a poet and refused to conform to society's standard of normal... bla bla bla... teen angst, my parents don't understand, and so on and so on.
It's funny how we stick with the email address we acquired over a decade ago.
-

As we get older we view things differently - and every now and then look back over our own shoulder...Which is a good thing.
As the old saying goes...

Look at the past ....Learn from it.....And move on forward.

Enjoy being here and keep moving forward. thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

SugarMoon Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:33am
post #320 of 351

Thank you, Bluehue. It's people like you that make it a pleasure to be here. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:36pm
post #321 of 351

Your welcome -
See you around the forum thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Bluehue

7yyrt Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:06pm
post #322 of 351

ooh, NOT good.
I would have been crushed to have people slam me for my first work (some of which is still posted). I was so nervous about posting it at all, anyway.

SinfulSweets86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SinfulSweets86 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:14pm
post #323 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

ooh, NOT good.
I would have been crushed to have people slam me for my first work (some of which is still posted). I was so nervous about posting it at all, anyway.

Don't be nervous. There are still some good people on here. Not everyone is mean. icon_wink.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:19pm
post #324 of 351

That's me too - I don't post a lot of pictures for that reason! I am just a hobby baker who loves to do it, but am no Bronwen Weber! (Ok maybe in my dreams icon_lol.gif )

CWR41 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:21pm
post #325 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulSweets86

My personal pet peeve on CC are the people who criticize other people for their work. Let's face it... None of us are Norman Davis. Seriously... If all you can do is talk poorly about other people, you need a different hobby. I also suggest that you take a little lesson from people who are here just to help out other people. Grow up...

I don't know where that has been happening during the last 6 days since you've joined, but it isn't allowed and those members can get banned unless specific requests for opinions were asked about their work.

SinfulSweets86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SinfulSweets86 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:07pm
post #326 of 351

Well, that's good. I really dislike people who are mean. It bothers me to read things that are meant to hurt someone's feelings. I'm not one to do so and I don't hesitate to call someone out on it.

CWR41 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:03am
post #327 of 351

Where did your original "pet peeve" go from today?

SinfulSweets86 wrote:
My personal pet peeve on CC are the people who criticize other people for their work. Let's face it... None of us are Norman Davis. Seriously... If all you can do is talk poorly about other people, you need a different hobby. I also suggest that you take a little lesson from people who are here just to help out other people. Grow up...

(now it looks like everyone responding to it is just posting randomness!)

And where is your second reply from today where you said you'd been reading up on old threads that weren't very nice? Did you change/edit it to this?:

Quote:

Well, that's good. I really dislike people who are mean. It bothers me to read things that are meant to hurt someone's feelings. I'm not one to do so and I don't hesitate to call someone out on it.

Bluehue Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:18am
post #328 of 351

icon_surprised.gif Its just gone icon_confused.gif
Most odd.

Have to say i have never seen or heard of anyone writting poorly about someone's cake creation.
Constructive thoughts when asked for thumbs_up.gif - but not straight out rudeness about someones cakes/cookies whatever.

LOL - Makes me look as tho i am talking to myself now that the post has pfftttt gone.

Bluehue

CWR41 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:32am
post #329 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

icon_surprised.gif Its just gone icon_confused.gif
Most odd.

Whoever said they didn't like it when people use the "quote" button, or something similar, this is a good example to have a copy of the quote for when it's deleted.

It's also useful for letting a poster know that your comment is directed to them about their similar post without everyone else thinking you might be commenting on something that they had said.

I like the "quote" button for a couple more reasons especially for partial quotes when answering to only the most important part of the post (and deleting all the extra "small talk" or whatever), and it's easier to respond to multiple questions rather than trying to remember all of them--that way, you can be certain that you didn't overlook any of the other questions.

CWR41 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:33pm
post #330 of 351
Quote:

lol... wow... CWR41 is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You've been called out for being rude. Seriously... Do you honestly go throughout your life talking to and about people like this? I bet you're not married because if you were you wouldn't act like that. You would be most happy.

Samantha is sad for you icon_sad.gif

Really? We'll see if the moderators delete this post of yours along with the five or so others from yesterday!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%