Pet Peeves On Cc

Lounge By cutthecake Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 7:07pm by KathysCC

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:11am
post #181 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

So, having said that... my biggest peeve, (I *think*) is when someone decides that they must tear me down because I have gained some small bit of notoriety simply by being helpful. It makes me so sad, but there are some people that are actually gunning for me just because other people like me or talk nicely about me. Right now, one person who doesn't know me from Adam actually has a quote in her signature line that is pretty much a direct slam on me without actually using my name. WHAT UP with that? I have never maligned this person that I'M aware of. icon_confused.gif

Oh no they didn't icon_eek.gif Now that p..... me off. Well, I appreciate every bit of advice that you've offered and your wit and charm as well... I'm off to look at siggy lines.... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:04am
post #182 of 351

My pet peeve is when someone asks how to do something or mentions that they're having trouble doing something, and then when they get advice about how to do it, they say, "Well, I already know how to do that and I don't need any instructions about how to do it." Then why did you ask, honey?

Or people who take any opinion or method that differs from their own as a personal criticism. For example, if you say you never refrigerate your fondant cakes because it ruins the fondant, and I say that I always refrigerate and they come out fine, that doesn't mean that I hate you or think you're stupid, it just means that you and I do things differently and our methods work for us.

I don't even post here as much as I used to because I'm not as comfortable here as I used to be. I had a disagreement with someone and the next thing I knew, they were showing up in every thread I posted disagreeing with me. I got disturbed enough by it that I took my location, link to my website and to my daughter's blog, etc...off of here and quit posting all the time.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:13am
post #183 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDiwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfisher2

My PP.... is the self appointed cake police whom think they need to lecture everyone at every given chance on the law of this and the rules of that.... I woud like to politely give them a hand down off their pedistals and hand them the spatula.... back to what we all love to do!!!!! Cake!!!! icon_razz.gif

While I totally get peeved too when the tone is "scolding" or self-righteous, in all fairness sometimes it is said in good faith. I think for many of us, the fact that there are any legalities related to caking did not even occur to us until someone (likely here) told us. Some information is good to have so you make an informed decision, but when said information is delivered unkindly - I'm with you. Also, if someone's made it clear that they know they are on the wrong side of the law in their post and they're ok with it, I can understand if it bothers you because you went to hell and back to become legal, but they've already made up their mind, just let it go, ignore their post or whatever. It just adds an unpleasant atmosphere.

That is exactly it. I have a legal liscenced business and I guess I just find it irritating that some people use the effort it takes to set up a business as a reason to poo poo others. I dont really care of someone is baking from their home and selling it. I dont know why every one else gets so worked up about it.... And really, all of us started as hobbiest at home at one time or another and 99.99% have taken money from someone for their service.... I dont want to lecture when its something I know I have done myself..... Just my opinion....

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:35am
post #184 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Maybe I shouldn't say this... but it really bothers me when people ask pricing advice for illegal cakes... the ones who write, "I have been making cakes for my family and now people want me to make their cakes. How much should I charge.?" As someone who is starting a legitimate business in a separate kitchen who cannot sell practice cakes, who will pay taxes and insurance, and will be spending a small fortune on equipment and certification, I find it offensive to all of us who believe in doing this the hard way... legal!

Yes, I'd have to say that this is the one thing that actually is a peeve of mine. I am a home/hobby baker for friends/family. I do not consider myself or call myself a professional but strive for professional quality. I have the highest respect for those who ARE professionals. And these types of posts make me want to give the poster a slap with a spatula.

On the flip side of this coin the thing I love the most is that there are pros on this site that have been so helpful to me. I have yet to feel lower class. Melvira, Edna, Indidebi, and others have been wonderful, not just to me but to others in posts that I've followed.

Sandy

mariana7842731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariana7842731 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:40am
post #185 of 351

how about the worship of false idols? that's a big one.

gscout73 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:42am
post #186 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariana7842731

I don't follow... Can you be a little more specific? icon_confused.gif

Sandy

mariana7842731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariana7842731 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:43am
post #187 of 351

icon_wink.gif

gscout73 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:47am
post #188 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

This is harsh I know, but people who have cake disasters that could have been prevented by the simple knowledge of how to properly stack a cake using either the dowel method or SPS. I read all of these Cake Disasters and I think to myself, wow that could have been prevented if you actually knew how to properly stack a cake.

Of course they are unfortunate accidents, but the really silly ones that say my cake fell and I have no idea what happened, well did you use proper supports? Uh what are supports? icon_rolleyes.gif

OMG! When I see those I just can't help but laugh and think the same thing.. especially when the OP responds "what support?" or "board between stacked tiers?" Not neccessarliy a peeve of mine as much as entertainment for me.

Sandy

gscout73 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:51am
post #189 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingpw

My CC pet peeve is reading "I'm not licensed, just a home baker." I feel all home bakers should be licensed and INSURED with a separate kitchen than is used for their family! If your county/State does not allow it (like mine) then lease an approved kitchen. And...it's not ok to not be licensed if you are "donating cakes" - people won't remember or care the cake was free if they get sick.

I happen to live in a state--OH-- with a Cottage Provider status for home bakers that allows for baking from a home kitchen as long as the items provided aren't perishable or require refrigeration.

Rae

I wish we had that here in FLA. But with all the probs we have here related to business fraud, there'd be no way we'll ever get one.

Sandy

gscout73 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:24am
post #190 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

And the one that sends me into a tizzy: "Quick Question!!!" Yeah, it's quick for you to type but that doesn't mean it will have a quick question!! This one always ticked me off when I worked in an office, too. It's quick to ASK it, but you've no idea how long it will take to ANSWER it.

AMEN SISTER! (And yes, I am shouting.) thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

You took the words right outa my mouth! I pointed this out to one poster and someone went down my throat for this. Vague subject lines do not get you the highest amount of traffic to get some good advice. And try to research a question and get all those vague subject lines. I rather surprised the moderators allow it. I would go insane though having to change all the subject lines.

I've seen this also. The post may get a lot of views but little or no response. Then the OP gets mad and makes thier own comment to their own post, "There must be someone out there who can help. How am I getting views and no responses?"

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:36am
post #191 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

My pet peeve is when Indydebi types "return" instead of "enter" twice in the same post. It makes me feel old because I know what she means. LMBO icon_biggrin.gif

For anyone else who gets this, watch this funny and VERY short video...

I'm probably the last person on the planet who paid a business college to take shorthand. The first time I saw an IBM Selectric with an element, I went, WOW! What'll they think of next!

(and I'm only 56)

mamawrobin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:40am
post #192 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I don't even post here as much as I used to because I'm not as comfortable here as I used to be. I had a disagreement with someone and the next thing I knew, they were showing up in every thread I posted disagreeing with me. I got disturbed enough by it that I took my location, link to my website and to my daughter's blog, etc...off of here and quit posting all the time.

Well that stinks icon_lol.gif I've gotten lots of advice from you that helped me many times. Don't let someone run you off. I've also learned that I can't refrigerate a fondant covered cake but you can.....LOL.....like you said just because something works for one doesn't mean it will for the other. I just don't understand why people feel the need to do this. Sorry this happened to you....but don't go anywhere..we need you thumbs_up.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:05am
post #193 of 351

Just finished reading the entire 13 pages. Whew. My pet peeves have already been listed: CC's search--(thanks IndyDebi for specific tips on the word AND between keywords!), and the way you have to start over with most saved photos if you look at one bigger than a thumbnail.

However, my biggest peeve is that I can't meet all of you wonderful people in person! You folks are wonderful! I don't know all of your names yet, but frequent posters seem to be wonderfully patient, kind, lovely, funny, and talented: IndyDebi, Melvira, mamawrobin, rosencrantz, texasrose, there are SO many, I'm sorry if I'm leaving you out, just know you are loved and appreciated!!!!

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:19am
post #194 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

Quote:

Sandy

what she means is that "certain" people are idolized on here and she thinks it amounts to worship and she doesn't think that they are deserving because, after all, she is calling it "false worship" even though the "certain" people have gone out of their way to help hundreds of people on CC

isn't that what you meant Mariana? icon_wink.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:13pm
post #195 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrycanary62

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

Quote:

Sandy

what she means is that "certain" people are idolized on here and she thinks it amounts to worship and she doesn't think that they are deserving because, after all, she is calling it "false worship" even though the "certain" people have gone out of their way to help hundreds of people on CC

isn't that what you meant Mariana? icon_wink.gif

REALLY? Wow!! I don't know if we "idolized" - I do know that without "certain" people, I for one wouldn't be able to do half the things today that I can now! And I respect and appreciate them for it!!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:21pm
post #196 of 351

people who post a question in the middle of the night (USA time) and then all cranky that they don't get an answer

-right now!!!-

uh, hello -- not everyone is a cake making vampire/werewolf/other assorted creature of the night!

SLEEP I NEED SLEEP!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:27pm
post #197 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Exactly! I thnk the first week or two I was here, someone (actually a small group of frieinds that stood together on all things) attacked me so badly that I left... came back after a few days because I decided it was worth a second chance. Imagine if I hadn't... what I'd be missing out on! And I dare to say, there are a few people that would've missed out on what I have helped them with. And since last late spring/early summer, I haven't posted much at all for the same reason. I've just recently started 'showing my face' again, and then someone has to slam me in their sig line. Classless! I'll never know what about me gets SO under a few people's skin, I guess because I'm outgoing and intelligent? Or is just that I'm so dang good looking?! Hahaha! NOT!!! icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:29pm
post #198 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

people who post a question in the middle of the night (USA time) and then all cranky that they don't get an answer

-right now!!!-

uh, hello -- not everyone is a cake making vampire/werewolf/other assorted creature of the night!

SLEEP I NEED SLEEP!

WHAT!?! There is NOT a band of friendly WereCakers that wait around simply to pounce on my questions/problems in the middle of the night? I was SO misled!! icon_lol.gif

Doug Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:38pm
post #199 of 351

soon at a movie theatre near you:

the cake competition you'll all been licking your chops to see!

Team Edward vs. Team Jacob!!!

Twilight Cake Wars
When the moon comes out, the frosting flies!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:57pm
post #200 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Got me curious now... 15 of the same basic cake, all in most saved - must be something there that's interesting.

Well, I do have to say that 15 is my favorite "exaggeration" number icon_lol.gif and I'm not going to call anyone out specifically but this is especially noticable with new members as they post (just an example) sheetcakes with flowers in the corners that say Happy Birthday and pink roses, Congratulations with yellow roses, We'll Miss You with peach roses, etc. You get the drift... icon_smile.gif

Elcee Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:00pm
post #201 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Have to agree. thumbs_up.gif I've made a zillion of the zebra cakes but I've only uploaded one in my photos. They're all different in some way but they're ALL zebra. icon_lol.gif

Yep, I've made a zillion fondant covered cakes with 3 flowers centered on top...only 1 in my pics. icon_lol.gif

Elcee Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:05pm
post #202 of 351
Quote:

My PP.... is the self appointed cake police whom think they need to lecture everyone at every given chance on the law of this and the rules of that.... I woud like to politely give them a hand down off their pedistals and hand them the spatula.... back to what we all love to do!!!!! Cake!!!! icon_razz.gif

I'm not sure to whom your post is directed, but the title of this thread is PET PEEVES...I haven't seen any lecturing, or "self appointed cake police", no rule setting, no one on pedestals...

Melvira Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:25pm
post #203 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:

I'm not sure to whom your post is directed, but the title of this thread is PET PEEVES...I haven't seen any lecturing, or "self appointed cake police", no rule setting, no one on pedestals...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Bfisher2 wasn't speaking specifically about this thread. It's a 'tone' in general here. I'm legal, and understand the frustration, but the problem is, treating people like second class citizens isn't going to make them run out and 'get legal'. We all do things are that are a little under the radar now and then, so I don't like to point fingers very often. I don't mean like stealing cars, unless you're into that. icon_lol.gif But I mean the little things we do that we may or may not realize are not perfectly legal. And everyone's idea of 'moral' is different.

Doug Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:29pm
post #204 of 351
Quote:

Quote:

just take a look at all the threads on copyright or being a legal baker.

pet peeve:

people who stick fingers in their ears, go LA LA LA LA -- I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! when being told the truth about the law, about copyright, about being legal...

because after all -- why do I have to the follow the laws, I'm special and if I want to do something, even if illegal, I don't care, I'm going to do it and how dare you be the "cake police" or "lecture me"

Elcee Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:15pm
post #205 of 351

Soooo, I think I read PP as PREVIOUS POSTER and Bfisher meant it as PET PEEVE...

Bfisher, if that's the case, then my apology..all icon_cool.gif?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:26pm
post #206 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:

Quote:

just take a look at all the threads on copyright or being a legal baker.

pet peeve:

people who stick fingers in their ears, go LA LA LA LA -- I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! when being told the truth about the law, about copyright, about being legal...

because after all -- why do I have to the follow the laws, I'm special and if I want to do something, even if illegal, I don't care, I'm going to do it and how dare you be the "cake police" or "lecture me"

That's what gets me, the "don't tell me the truth, tell me what I want to hear" attitude, and that if you DO tell someone something based in reality they accuse you of being the cake police and a big old MEEEEAAAANNNY!

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:17pm
post #207 of 351

My biggest pet peeve is the fact that most of the helpful, knowledgeable and truthful people have either been run off, banned or villanized.
It doesn't leave us with much, and it's sad.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:43pm
post #208 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeville82

My biggest pet peeve is the fact that most of the helpful, knowledgeable and truthful people have either been run off, banned or villanized.

While there are some that are no longer apart of the board, there are still many very helpful, very truthful people still here posting. IndyDebi is the first that comes to mind followed by Doug and many other people.

To say that what is left here posting on the board "doesn't leave us with much" is kind of offensive to the rest of us. Especually when there are still many great posters here that are truly helpful and try to answer as many questions as they can.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:27pm
post #209 of 351
Quote:

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif Whoa!! I'm sorry you feel that way - I don't know who was helpful to you that isn't here anymore or "has been run off" but as far as I am concerned, there is a treasure trove of knowledgeable, helpful and truthful people here!! And thank you to all of them!!!![/b]

mamawrobin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:36pm
post #210 of 351
Quote:

Quote:

oh you have lots. suggestions about hawking straws from fast food places, the fact that brides instantly become haggy lying zillas if they have any complaints about their supposedly perfectly done cake, and that customers are stupid and wouldn't know the difference between scratch and box mixes. a veritable gold mine of information! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Unfortunately we also have people like you that never once offer any type of help only snide remarks....like the following that you posted on May 21, 2010: "Oh yah, idny always knows the right thing to say, i love her!!! she's my favorite person in this place. i hope i can make cakes like hers someday. i just need to stop practising so much."
I don't know why you felt the need to slander Indydebi's cakes like you did..... and you also misspelled "practicing"....in your post.

The "McDonald's straws" are mentioned so that people will know what the milkshake straw should look like...some are not as sturdy as others and I want them to know what I'm talking about. "suggestions of hawking straws from fast food joints" I know is a direct slam at me...which is NOT what I'm doing. But some of us don't have bubble tea straws or milkshake straws available to us without ordering. If someone is in a bind and needs them right away..yes, I've suggested using McDonald straws...at least it's helpful to the op for their situation....and maybe it isn't "professional" but it is "helpful" Never once have I suggested just going to McDonald's as a "source" for straws...I always say that "I order milkshake straws...they look just like McDonald's straws....maybe the op doesn't have time to order....that's where the suggestion comes in. Also these cakes are usually being made by hobby bakers that are asking these questions...why would it hurt to use a McDonald's straw if that's all they have access to?

Not one of the threads that you have posted in have you offered any advice or help. Lack of professionalism? Your post are classic examples of that.

Pet Peeves? Trolls that post only tacky remarks, never helpful, always starting trouble...or trying to. thumbs_up.gif

Doug, TexasSugar, Melvira, Indydebi, Leah_S,BlakesCakes,KansasLaura,Costumeczar,Periot,Snarkybaker,Edna, Sugarshack, Texas_Rose, Bluhue, to name a few and I have probably have forgotten a few...If so I'm sorry. But all of you have been more than helpful to me and 100's of others. If I'm not being helpful in these forums maybe I should move on as well. Apparently Mariana7842731 can offer more "professional" advice and if she will "stop practising so much" maybe even make cakes as good as Indydebi's "someday" icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%