Elcee Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:08pm
post #151 of 351

[quote="mamawrobin"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

<End Rant>

And its not a peeve but it breaks my heart that people who have taken all of the impowered, charge more for your cakes, threads and then they go out there and charge someone $4 a serving for something that is not of their skill level to do.

Then they post their photos saying that their customer wants a full refund and they dont know why. Hardly ever is it mentioned in those famous What to Charge threads that they should factor in their skill level into their price.

Whenever I see these thread I ALWAYS chime in and say that the skill level and quality of work is VERY important and should be factored in when figuring the price. I agree it seems that this is never mentioned and honestly I've seen some cakes that I would have been highly po'd if I'd paid $4.00 a serving for, and I can certainly understand these customers demanding a refund on some these cakes.

I agree with both of you on this one. Not sure if I can say this diplomatically, but I am sometimes very surprised when I see the quality of cakes that are sold.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:16pm
post #152 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

One of my biggest peeves (and this is mostly because this site is extremely helpful) is when someone posts a good description of their problem, like:

I can't get the icing on my cake smooth! It's full of air bubbles, I've tried smoothing it with Viva, as well as with the Melvira method, and I still can't get it smooth! I'm using IndyDebi's recipe, with a minor change (heavy whipping cream instead of milk). It's just a practice cake, so it's fine for now.

What can I do to avoid this problem in the future?

And someone replies with:

Have you tried the Viva or Melvira method?

GAH! Just read!

I just want to also point out that I've only had air bubble problems with that recipe once...and I think it was because I didn't beat the crap out of it. Ever since then, I try to let the mixer go for 5-10 minutes more after it's mixed, depending on my mood.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I remember a thread that started not very long ago and in the first couple of post someone mentioned the "melvira method" and in just about every post made after that it was mentioned........skip over to the 2nd or 3rd page and someone posted "there is another method that none of you have mentioned....you use a foam roller and a viva paper towel" icon_eek.gificon_eek.gifdunce.gif If they had actually read the thread they would have KNOWN that this IS the method that was being discussed. icon_lol.gif
Hey...I am probably just as guilty as the next person of missing something once in awhile...but I do try to read and make sure that I know what's already been said in the thread before I post anything.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:18pm
post #153 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

One of my biggest peeves (and this is mostly because this site is extremely helpful) is when someone posts a good description of their problem, like:

I can't get the icing on my cake smooth! It's full of air bubbles, I've tried smoothing it with Viva, as well as with the Melvira method, and I still can't get it smooth! I'm using IndyDebi's recipe, with a minor change (heavy whipping cream instead of milk). It's just a practice cake, so it's fine for now.

What can I do to avoid this problem in the future?

And someone replies with:

Have you tried the Viva or Melvira method?

GAH! Just read!

I just want to also point out that I've only had air bubble problems with that recipe once...and I think it was because I didn't beat the crap out of it. Ever since then, I try to let the mixer go for 5-10 minutes more after it's mixed, depending on my mood.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I remember a thread that started not very long ago and in the first couple of post someone mentioned the "melvira method" and in just about every post made after that it was mentioned........skip over to the 2nd or 3rd page and someone posted "there is another method that none of you have mentioned....you use a foam roller and a viva paper towel" icon_eek.gificon_eek.gifdunce.gif If they had actually read the thread they would have KNOWN that this IS the method that was being discussed. icon_lol.gif
Hey...I am probably just as guilty as the next person of missing something once in awhile...but I do try to read and make sure that I know what's already been said in the thread before I post anything.

But there's a difference in someone reading the OP and making the comment, without reading the other comments, and someone not really reading the OP and suggesting something the OP already said they did. icon_wink.gif

All in all, I love this place, peeves included. It keeps me on my toes!

homeslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homeslice Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:57pm
post #154 of 351

I agree that the vague subject lines are slightly annoying. It would be nice if cc had a function several other boards I frequent have - hover your mouse over the subject line, and the first few lines of the post are shown.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:18pm
post #155 of 351

I have been coming to Cake Central for about a year, and I notice a few subtle changes about the site. I notice that the cakes are becoming more structural, and definitely done more with fondant than other icings.

I love seeing the extraordinary cakes on here, but I also know I will NEVER do cakes that way. It is not my style, or within my abilities, and not really a goal of mine. I am more interested in decorating lovely and delicious cakes that I will be proud to give and to serve.

I enjoy coming here, seeing the gorgeous cakes, getting great recipes (which I now use almost exclusively, I may add), and seeing the information about how to do certain piping and flowers. I also love to get ideas from others for things I CAN do with my limited abilities.

In other words, I enjoy everything I read here no matter what it is. What I don't enjoy, however, is that occasionally people who are not "in the business" are sometimes not treated with the same respect or given the same responses as others.

While I can't say it has happened to me, and I don't think there are many who are guilty, there are a few who have, from time to time, come across as a little "elitist" when it comes to the "home bakers".

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:32am
post #156 of 351

My new pet peeves are:

1) Not having some great tutorials or short videos on the ever-dying art of buttercream. We have some AMAZING buttercream artists on here, like Thanh Thanh. Is someone of her caliber even able to post something short but helpful? I would eat it up with a spoon!

2)Search engine is difficult to use (as previously said)

3) We need more tutorials, in general! How does one go about offering them? Heck, I have something to teach.. I am sure. We all have something if you have been decorating long enough

4) not being able to post your facebook site and link for galleries. This would be sweet!!!

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:10am
post #157 of 351

A gallery catigory for sheet cakes would be nice.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:10am
post #158 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

My pet peeve is when Indydebi types "return" instead of "enter" twice in the same post. It makes me feel old because I know what she means. LMBO icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry, confused here. My keyboard says 'return' (then in tiny letters 'enter'); it is only a year old.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:21am
post #159 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie11

My other CC pet peeve is not being able to favorite a person whose work I can follow (as on flickr).

Go to someone's profile (there is a link to each person's profile at the bottom of their post in the forums; in the galleries, just click on the name.) In the profile there will be a link for 'buddy'. Click it and that person will be added to your buddy list. You can access your buddy list near the top of the screen, just below the tabs. You don't get updates or anything, but at least you won't forget a person.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:22am
post #160 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

Quote:

My pet peeve is when Indydebi types "return" instead of "enter" twice in the same post. It makes me feel old because I know what she means. LMBO icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry, confused here. My keyboard says 'return' (then in tiny letters 'enter'); it is only a year old.

Really? There are 4 laptops and one dinosaur of a desktop in my house and they all say, "enter." Yeah, I checked. LOL

mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:50am
post #161 of 351
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

Quote:

Really? There are 4 laptops and one dinosaur of a desktop in my house and they all say, "enter." Yeah, I checked. LOL

I'm with you. We have 3 laptops and 2 desktops (one is a "dinsoaur" as you call it) and ALL of them say 'enter' as well. SO...I'm the one that's "confused" LOL I haven't seen the word "return" since I had my electric typewritter.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #162 of 351

Oh, ok, well maybe it's a Mac thing. We only have ever had Macs. I just checked one of our really old Mac keyboards and it also has return. Just return. The new one has enter in tiny letters above the word return. I'm guessing they put that there recently because a lot of pc users are switching over to Macs.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:32am
post #163 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

my biggest complaint is about the posts that have no punctuation no capitalization and undecipherable spelling sometimes im not sure what im reading because i cant figure it out if you get my meaning i know that everyone makes mistakes (grammatical spelling punctuation) but some posts are written in a way that makes reading them impossible

I absolutely agree with you. I was thinking about posting something on this subject but you beat me to the punch. I am really getting tired of trying to read some of these posts. Do people not know how to spell or what? It is so hard to read some of these posts that are riddled with spelling errors.

Jaime3679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaime3679 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:06am
post #164 of 351

My biggest pet peeve is I wish that when you search for say... "Safari Cakes" (just an example) that there was a tab where you could view the most saved ones first. I takes SO long to look at all of them.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:44pm
post #165 of 351

Maybe I shouldn't say this... but it really bothers me when people ask pricing advice for illegal cakes... the ones who write, "I have been making cakes for my family and now people want me to make their cakes. How much should I charge.?" As someone who is starting a legitimate business in a separate kitchen who cannot sell practice cakes, who will pay taxes and insurance, and will be spending a small fortune on equipment and certification, I find it offensive to all of us who believe in doing this the hard way... legal!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:46pm
post #166 of 351

In some places that is legal to do.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:58pm
post #167 of 351

I guess I should have been clearer, it bothers me when the poster admits to an illegal cake.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:52pm
post #168 of 351

I don't have too many peeves, but I did think of another one. If one has done 15 of the same cake in different colors and with a different message written on them, there is really no need to post EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM icon_rolleyes.gif.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:37pm
post #169 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I don't have too many peeves, but I did think of another one. If one has done 15 of the same cake in different colors and with a different message written on them, there is really no need to post EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM icon_rolleyes.gif.

Heeheehee - just saw one of those recently on the most saved pics!

mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:01pm
post #170 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Have to agree. thumbs_up.gif I've made a zillion of the zebra cakes but I've only uploaded one in my photos. They're all different in some way but they're ALL zebra. icon_lol.gif

I also hate to see a cake that has been duplicated. I mean same colors, same flowers...EXACTLY...no changes whatsoever....and what's even worse than that is that the cake will be in the 'most saved' AGAIN....IT'S THE SAME CAKE...just different member icon_rolleyes.gif

7yyrt Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:21pm
post #171 of 351

If those pictures are in the most saved, then it's obvious that many other people must like to have them posted.

Got me curious now... 15 of the same basic cake, all in most saved - must be something there that's interesting.

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:40pm
post #172 of 351

I hate when someone post a cake that's really good- gets lots of faves and comments and then won't respond or share their technique.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:02pm
post #173 of 351

My PP.... is the self appointed cake police whom think they need to lecture everyone at every given chance on the law of this and the rules of that.... I woud like to politely give them a hand down off their pedistals and hand them the spatula.... back to what we all love to do!!!!! Cake!!!! icon_razz.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:45pm
post #174 of 351

One of the biggest peeves for me is the post titled "Customer not happy, wants a refund. What do I do?"

You already know what this post will bring. People saying NO REFUND! People saying give her back the money and be done with the problem. Others telling you how sorry they are this happened and they feel for your problem, but have no real advise.

It's a foregone conclusion that no one ever gets a true answer on these posts. It is usually just another argument starter.

In the end the poster has to come up with their own solution anyway. So just make a decision and be done with it.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #175 of 351

It peeves me to no end when I see people asking for tutorials in gallery photos after the poster has already posted how to do it in the comments. It's amazing to me how often this happens!! People are so lazy they can't even skim the comments before they demand a tutorial...

MyDiwa Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:11am
post #176 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahir

I hate when someone post a cake that's really good- gets lots of faves and comments and then won't respond or share their technique.

Oh, I'm with you on that. I just think it's a little rude to post a picture, get emails telling you ppl have said something to you (compliments, questions etc) and NOT A PEEP from you! I think it especially peeves me when ppl have politely asked questions and all they get is crickets, because for every one person who's asked the question, there are a dozen others who'd like to know too. If you don't want to be bothered with compliments or questions, don't post the pictures!

MyDiwa Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:15am
post #177 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfisher2

My PP.... is the self appointed cake police whom think they need to lecture everyone at every given chance on the law of this and the rules of that.... I woud like to politely give them a hand down off their pedistals and hand them the spatula.... back to what we all love to do!!!!! Cake!!!! icon_razz.gif

While I totally get peeved too when the tone is "scolding" or self-righteous, in all fairness sometimes it is said in good faith. I think for many of us, the fact that there are any legalities related to caking did not even occur to us until someone (likely here) told us. Some information is good to have so you make an informed decision, but when said information is delivered unkindly - I'm with you. Also, if someone's made it clear that they know they are on the wrong side of the law in their post and they're ok with it, I can understand if it bothers you because you went to hell and back to become legal, but they've already made up their mind, just let it go, ignore their post or whatever. It just adds an unpleasant atmosphere.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:17am
post #178 of 351

Oh, and not getting email notifications!! I posted a topic yesterday and thought no one had replied- turns out there were 6 responses, and I just didnt get a notification!!

7yyrt Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:27am
post #179 of 351

Did you click the 'watch this topic for replies' button?
You have to do that if you're the original poster.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #180 of 351

Ok, I honestly STILL haven't gotten through ALL the posts in this thread, but I did see someone say that I was helpful, so I had to jump in and say THANK YOU!!! AND, you are WELCOME! I love coming here to help, anyone who has ever PM'ed me with a question in the hundred years I've been a member here will tell you that I 100% reply quickly, and with as much information as I'm able to come up with! I love helping! Almost as much as I like making people laugh!! (Yah, sometimes AT me...) icon_rolleyes.gif

So, having said that... my biggest peeve, (I *think*) is when someone decides that they must tear me down because I have gained some small bit of notoriety simply by being helpful. It makes me so sad, but there are some people that are actually gunning for me just because other people like me or talk nicely about me. Right now, one person who doesn't know me from Adam actually has a quote in her signature line that is pretty much a direct slam on me without actually using my name. WHAT UP with that? I have never maligned this person that I'M aware of. icon_confused.gif

Anyway, had to get that out. All of you are wonderful, beautiful people whom I adore, and you are the reason I come here. Peeves and all, I wouldn't change you for the world!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%