Dream Whip

Decorating By Kima920 Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 2:16pm by thatslifeca

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 27

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get Dream Whip from cheaper than Walmart? Does anyone know if you can buy it by the case or in bulk for cheaper?? Because at my Walmart its $2.44 per box.. I love using the stuff in my BC like Indebyi's recipe says but when you have to multiple boxes for many cakes it can get pricey.
Thanks
Kima

26 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 27

Try amazon.com. I've seen large qty's on there.

It breaks down to only about a dollar an envelope (I buy the 4 envelope box for less than $4). Only about 1/3 to 1/2 of an envelope goes in each batch of icing, so in rounded-up numbers, it's only an extra 50 cents per batch.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 27

Is that for a 2/pack or 4/pack?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 27

I know there is commerical "dream whip" in big sacks that can be ordered from a supplier. I think I used to see a Dream Whip knock-off at Aldi's--never bought any so I'm not sure how it compares.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 27

Kroger has a store brand "whipped topping" usually right next to the Dream Whip that is about half the price. I've used it with great results.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 27

I also use Kroger brand, and agree with poohsmama. I have found no difference between this and the name brand, and it's a great value. It always seems to be on the very bottom shelf though, and is easy to miss.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 27

Is anyone using Dream Whip for an actual filling recipe, or just as an ingredient in the Indydebi BC?

indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 27

I also add an envelope for every cake mix that I use.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 27

What does that do to your cakes Indydebi? If you add it would you have to eliminate pudding for those of us who add them to mixes?

indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

What does that do to your cakes Indydebi? If you add it would you have to eliminate pudding for those of us who add them to mixes?

Adding dream whip to a cake is actually suggested on the dream whip box. It contributes to helping a cake rise higher.

I dont' know what adding a pack of pudding does to a cake so I've no idea if this is a sub or an add-on. (Tried the 'add an extra egg and pudding" once and my official taste testers told me, "Don't you EVER do that again!")

However, if you search "Dream whip cake", you'll get a number of recipes that show pudding AND dream whip added to a cake mix, so it must be ok.

My cake 'recipe' is Betty Crocker cake mix, made as directed; plus one extra egg; plus one envelope of dream whip.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Really...gotta try that. I really don't care for adding pudding in my cakes. I don't really care for the texture of a "pudding in the mix" cake.

I buy Dream Whip at Brookshires for $3.87 for a box of 4 envelopes. That is a better deal than $2.97 for 2 envelope boxes at wal-mart. That is the least expensive place that I've found to buy DW. Think I'm going to see about ordering in bulk though. I use so much of the stuff. I wish could get a one pound bag of it....that would be awesome. As "light" as it is that would be quite a lot of Dream Whip wouldn't it? LOL

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:

I am gonna try that. I have seen it on the box and thought about it, but never actually did it. Next cake it's going in.

Kima920 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:19pm
post #13 of 27

Thanks guys! For some reason I wasn't getting any emails when people were posting to it. I never thought about adding it to the cake mix I might have to try that. Thanks Debi I think I might have to try Amazon.com because my Walmart only sells the 2 pack box and the Giants is even more expensive.

Kima920 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:22pm
post #14 of 27

Robin I was thinking the same thing.. if I could get a pound of it and having it here at home whenever I need it.

Debi on a side note what you recommend to making a cake more stable for stacking? I am using the WASC with Pillsbury mix and I think that might be the problem but I don't know how the other mixes hold up to stacking and carving. Any tips?

indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:12am
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kima920

Robin I was thinking the same thing.. if I could get a pound of it and having it here at home whenever I need it.

Debi on a side note what you recommend to making a cake more stable for stacking? I am using the WASC with Pillsbury mix and I think that might be the problem but I don't know how the other mixes hold up to stacking and carving. Any tips?

For decades, I used betty crocker straight from the box. Only in the last 4-6 years have I added the extra egg and eventually dream whip. Cakes stack fine. It's not the cake .... it's the support system. You can stack jello with the right support system.

Kima920 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:15am
post #16 of 27

Well I had a horrible issue on Friday with a cake. I used bubble tea straws on the bottom tier it was 12 round and then I used straws for the 10 round and I had a wooden dowel running down the middle from the top tier of 6 round. It was topsy turvy and lets say that I drive up very steep hills into mountains and by the time I got to my destination to drop the cake off the bottom tier was basically gone! All smashed in. I was horrified to say the least.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:51am
post #17 of 27

There must be something in the air. I had one collapse on Saturday night. But I only had to go about 1/2 mile! UUGGGG!!!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:55am
post #18 of 27

I have yet to make a topsy-turvy cake because of the structure issues. I'm just not that confident in my abilities to "pull it off". I have watched numerous tutorials on making them and until I feel confident enough I WILL NOT try it....LOL...

Some may tell you that it's because you used straws...of course I will be here to disagree. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif With a topsy turvy it isn't whether or not you use dowels or straws. The cake has to sit level only APPEAR to be leaning..I haven't figured out just how to do that yet so I'm not as brave as you to try.

So sorry this happened to you. I hate taking a stacked cake on a "bumpy" road or gravel road, Topsy turvy or not.

Also have to say that Indydebi beat me to the "stacking jello" reference. Love that one. Why is it that people think that you have to have a "sturdy" cake for stacking? maybe they're confusing it with it being needed for "carving"? icon_confused.gif

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:08am
post #19 of 27

Have you tried a restaurant supply store? My local one has big bags of Dream Whip.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:16am
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I have yet to make a topsy-turvy cake because of the structure issues. I'm just not that confident in my abilities to "pull it off". I have watched numerous tutorials on making them and until I feel confident enough I WILL NOT try it....LOL...

Some may tell you that it's because you used straws...of course I will be here to disagree. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif With a topsy turvy it isn't whether or not you use dowels or straws. The cake has to sit level only APPEAR to be leaning..I haven't figured out just how to do that yet so I'm not as brave as you to try.

So sorry this happened to you. I hate taking a stacked cake on a "bumpy" road or gravel road, Topsy turvy or not.

Also have to say that Indydebi beat me to the "stacking jello" reference. Love that one. Why is it that people think that you have to have a "sturdy" cake for stacking? maybe they're confusing it with it being needed for "carving"? icon_confused.gif

I think you are right! First the cake needs to sit level and second, you can stack angel food cake if you have the correct support system! I have used the SPS with topsy turvy and made it up my driveway. It is 1/4 mile of gravel and pot holes from rain!!

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:33am
post #21 of 27

I have a restaurant supply store in my area that you can go in and purchase items in bulk. Last time I was in I asked if they carried Dream Whip - the manager looked at me like I was nuts and said, "No one uses Dream Whip for icing anymore." Ha, if he only knew...

Kima920 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:57am
post #22 of 27

Okay. So maybe I might need to change my stacking method and just start using the SPS system because I have SugarEd Production's Topsy Turvy video and followed like she said and still failed. I was completely mortified at least I was able to save the top two tiers. My might have to check the online restaurant stores for bulk Dream Whip. It will be great if I can find it and why do they think people don't use it any more.. maybe not exclusively but it works great in buttercream! Debi is a genius for the recipe. I absolutely love it!

indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:02am
post #23 of 27
Quote:

....and why do they think people don't use it any more.. maybe not exclusively but it works great in buttercream!

Brought to you by the same people who sneer and chide me for being a BC decorator because '....don't you know fondant is the new "in" ..?" and how "old fashioned" I am because I'm living in the stone ages, etc?"

BTW, these same people then turn around and whine because "BC is too ha-r-r-r-r-r-rr-d to decorate wtih!" So am I 'old fashioned? Or are they "no-talent"? heh heh heh heh! icon_twisted.gif

On a side story, hubby was in bank mgmt and went to a locally owned (not a chain) clothing store to buy some new shirts. He asked "the kid" working, "Where are your long sleeve dress shirts .... all I can find are short sleeve?" Kid says with a sneer in his voice, "It's summer ... NO ONE wears long sleeve in the summer!" Hubby pulls up his jacket sleeve, shoves his long sleeve covered arm in kid's face and said, "Those of us in PROFESSIONAL jobs do!" So the "no one does that" atttitude seems to be everywhere ...... and generally comes from those who don't actually DO it!!

Kima920 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:48am
post #24 of 27

Hahaha Debi! That reminds me of my hubby who has to wear professional clothing as well and only wear the long sleeves shirts. I think decorating in buttercream is a real talent, one that I am working on. I want to get my piping to a point where I am really confident with it. I see cakes where there is gorgeous piping and I think that is real talent there. So my hat goes off to you guys who can do it! More efficient is not always better for the artistic side of caking, I had to tell my hubby this yesterday.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:22pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:

Quote:

....and why do they think people don't use it any more.. maybe not exclusively but it works great in buttercream!

Brought to you by the same people who sneer and chide me for being a BC decorator because '....don't you know fondant is the new "in" ..?" and how "old fashioned" I am because I'm living in the stone ages, etc?"

BTW, these same people then turn around and whine because "BC is too ha-r-r-r-r-r-rr-d to decorate wtih!" So am I 'old fashioned? Or are they "no-talent"? heh heh heh heh! icon_twisted.gif

On a side story, hubby was in bank mgmt and went to a locally owned (not a chain) clothing store to buy some new shirts. He asked "the kid" working, "Where are your long sleeve dress shirts .... all I can find are short sleeve?" Kid says with a sneer in his voice, "It's summer ... NO ONE wears long sleeve in the summer!" Hubby pulls up his jacket sleeve, shoves his long sleeve covered arm in kid's face and said, "Those of us in PROFESSIONAL jobs do!" So the "no one does that" atttitude seems to be everywhere ...... and generally comes from those who don't actually DO it!!

LOL Debi, my hubby went thru something like that once. Had a few choice words for the kid. I felt sorry for the kid, till we found out he was the manager of the store icon_eek.gif . I'm going to have to try the dream whip in the cake, I haven't tried that either. Debi, do you have to add the egg or can you just add the dream whip?

indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:24pm
post #26 of 27

No, the extra egg has nothing to do with dream whip. I added an extra egg for a few years before I started adding the dream whip. They are not dependent on each other.

I started adding the dream whip because the cakes didn't rise as high in my comm'l convection oven as they did in the home oven, so I figured the extra rise dream whip gave would compensate for this. Worked great!

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:16pm
post #27 of 27

Thanks debi, I'm going to give that a try. I need to do a cake for friday. The kids all will be home for the weekend, and they will need cake. Apperantly they only come home now to do laundry and eat. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%