Yesterday Was Just One Of Those Days!

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 9:46pm by Herekittykitty

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 2

I made a cake for a 1st birthday yesterday and I have never had so many small issues with one cake.

First the mother and I went back and forth for days whether she was even getting the cake from me. I charge to much! Well after speaking to 2 other bakers she finally decided to use me, the other 2 couldnt really do what she wanted.

I had major issues with my icing and had to re-ice the cake at 1 am.

In her first email she said the party was on the 10th. In an email a few days later she said the 11th but it was in the middle of a very long email with 10 links to photo ideas. A few days later once we got it all worked out I said of good see you on Saturday (the 10th). I didnt catch she changed the date to the 11th and she didnt catch I said see you Sat. So I delivered the cake on Sat. She seemed of with it but it was still embarrasing.

I was looking thru the emails (to figure out the date mistake) and saw she wanted the smash cake to be chocolate. I never even saw that and made it vanilla. We had discussed the cake having the middle tier lemon and then the rest vanilla and didnt catch she wanted the smash cake chocolate. The smash cake was free but I should of caught that!

And after I dropped the cake off she emailed me and said I spelled a word wrong. I hand rolled fondant letter that said Look Whoos One! Happy Birthday Gianna. I spelled it Birthbay instead of Birthday. I was still in the area and said I would come back and fix it but she said she would just flip the B and not to worry about it.

I liked the way the cake turned out and she seemed pleased with it but OMG this cake was a nightmare Cake is in my albums

I am fairly new to all of this and some these mistakes would have been caught if I would have had a contract so today I will make a contract to avoid these types of mistakes.

1 reply
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 2

That cake is sooo cute. I love your cursive letters and the Owls are adorable!

I'm not in business so not insight into that end but a contract from what I understand is always a good idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%