Question Of Box Cake Mix

Decorating By TheBlonde Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 9:46pm by TexasSugar

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 18

I'm a little confused. I need 57 cups of batter for my cakes that are due on Sunday. They actually want box cake mix so I did a little research to see how many cups a box cake mix makes and the answer was 4-6. That's a little vague. Should I assume 5 is safe then? Anyone know the answer???

17 replies
yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 18

i would always round up, but since you need so many you could make a batch and see what you get. I think the yield depends on brand .

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 18

It definitely depends on which brand you're using. Pillsbury yields only slightly more than 4, so I would not bank on 5 cups per mix, if that is the brand you're using. Hopefully Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker users will chime in and let you know what you can expect out of those.

Would it be possible for you to use one of the cake mix extender recipes on CC (starting w/ a base of box mix), so that you don't have to purchase so many boxes? I haven't tried them myself, but posters give positive feedback about them all the time.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 18

I'm a Duncan Hines user, and although I don't know the precise yield, I would bank on 5 cups average. I also highly recommend you use a Cake Mix Extender recipe....the one I use is 1 xtra egg, 8oz Sour Cream, 1 Cup Sugar and 1 Cup Flour, PER box mix....and that's in combination WITH the ingredients already on the package. In short, prepare the mix as directed and ADD the ingredients I listed. My experience has delivered a tighter crumb, denser cake that is more like scratch, not to mention it makes your batter go much further! Wish I had accurate measurements for you though icon_sad.gif Give it a try/taste and see what you think!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 18

I absolutely never measure by cups and never go by 'number-of-cups' charts. I measure by number of Betty Crocker mixes ....

Two 8" rounds takes 1 cake mix.
Two 10" rounds takes 2 cake mixes.
Two 12" rounds takes 3 cake mixes.
Etc.

What size are the cakes you're making and I can help you out with the number of cake mixes I would use.

But if you want to know number of cups ...... ? Dude, you're on your own!! icon_lol.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I absolutely never measure by cups and never go by 'number-of-cups' charts. I measure by number of Betty Crocker mixes ....

Two 8" rounds takes 1 cake mix.
Two 10" rounds takes 2 cake mixes.
Two 12" rounds takes 3 cake mixes.
Etc.

What size are the cakes you're making and I can help you out with the number of cake mixes I would use.

But if you want to know number of cups ...... ? Dude, you're on your own!! icon_lol.gif

Just curious, Debi--How many mixes do you use in a 9x13 or 12x18 sheet? Before I started doctoring mixes I'd use 1 1/2 for a 9x13 and 3 for a 12x18 to get the height I wanted. Since I doctor them 1 works for the smaller sheet, and 2 for the larger.

...if you're only using 1 in the small sheet, what kind of height are you getting from that??

indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 18

I never bake 9x13's anymore .... don't even own the pan ....., but if I did, I'd use 1.5 BC mixes. "Back in the day", one mix just didn't cut it.

2 for the 11x15 and 3 for the 12x18.

kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 18

Nods in agreement... The other night we had dinner at a neighbor's house. Wifey had been in my kitchen and seen my basket of baking strips and gave me the most confused look I'd seen in a long time. I explained the science behind them and she was amazed--asked me if I had invented them and why wasn't I marketing them!! I-COULD-BE-RICH!!!

I just laughed and told her they were around long before I even thought about baking--

Fast forward to dinner. She started asking me more cake questions. Could not understand why my cakes were so tall. I never volunteer my doctoring secret--nope, not gonna..

I asked her what pan, and what kind of mix she used. She showed me the pan and told me 1 mix--I suggested she use 1 1/2 and her jaw dropped...

YOU CAN DO THAT!???!!!!! THAT WOULD WORK???!???!!!!!???

I thought it was only logical but kept that comment to myself.

indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

She showed me the pan and told me 1 mix--I suggested she use 1 1/2 and her jaw dropped...

Oh no! Another victim of "The Posta Rules" Syndrome!

You're POSTA use one mix in the pan. Doesn't fill the pan? Gosh darn gee I can't add more cake mix because you're POSTA use one!

Knew a woman who marveled that my cookies were soft and hers were crunchy. I said, "You're baking them too long. Take them out sooner." She said she was baking them "the time the recipe said to!" I said, "And you're getting crunchy cookies! Take them out sooner!"

But NO-O-O-O-O!!! The directions said you're POSTA bake them that long and by god that's how long they get baked, no matter HOW crappy they turn out!

makes my a$$ tired when people can't think for themselves.

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 18

I always make sure I have plenty of batter and use any left over to make cupcakes. After they cool, I put them in a zip-loc bag and into the freezer they go. The grandkids love to ice and decorate cupcakes (and eat them of course) when they come to visit and I always have them ready to go.

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:01pm
post #11 of 18

Indydebi - You crack me up! icon_biggrin.gif

kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:08pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:

Quote:

She showed me the pan and told me 1 mix--I suggested she use 1 1/2 and her jaw dropped...

Oh no! Another victim of "The Posta Rules" Syndrome!

You're POSTA use one mix in the pan. Doesn't fill the pan? Gosh darn gee I can't add more cake mix because you're POSTA use one!

Knew a woman who marveled that my cookies were soft and hers were crunchy. I said, "You're baking them too long. Take them out sooner." She said she was baking them "the time the recipe said to!" I said, "And you're getting crunchy cookies! Take them out sooner!"

But NO-O-O-O-O!!! The directions said you're POSTA bake them that long and by god that's how long they get baked, no matter HOW crappy they turn out!

Just go POSTA on her!! Grab the recipe card and your Sharpie and rock her world!

... Going POSTA, changing one idiotic idea at a time!

One final note on a major POSTA--I have a SIL who follows recipes to the absolute letter. EVEN TACO SEASONING MIX. She was complaining her tacos didn't taste the same as mine. I asked her how she made them. Well like the packet says, DOH!! She *supresses laughter* even sets her timer for the number of minutes it says to simmer after adding the exact amount of water and literally sprints to the kitchen to remove the pot when the timer buzzes.

I didn't bother to tell her how I made mine, because it certainly isn't how it's POSTA be done!!

indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:

.... even sets her timer for the number of minutes it says to simmer after adding the exact amount of water and literally sprints to the kitchen to remove the pot when the timer buzzes.

Quote:

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:01pm
post #14 of 18

DH & POSTA RULES
Now I know I should be grateful that he does cook and will have dinner ready several times during the week when I get home from work depending on what shift he is working. But the problem being is this - he will find a recipe and make it and he follows the recipe EXACTLY! If it states add 1/2 cup of water he will add that much. It doesn't matter if the mixture is runny or so thick it's like glue. If it states add 1 pound of ground beef that's what he adds and it doesn't matter if you can't even find the meat when the recipe is done.

Then when we sit down to eat and he asks how it tastes and I say - geez it's a little dry or maybe you added too much liquid he gets all pissed off at me. WELL, I followed the recipe. Then I suggest that the next time he use his judgment or do this or that he gets snarky.

Then comes the next time and he makes the same recipe and yep you guessed it - same thing. And I say once again maybe you should have baked it longer or used less liquid or whatever and I get to hear - I FOLLOWED THE RECIPE!!

Yes, I do appreciate the effort and I am grateful that I did not have to cook when I got home but it would be nice to have something taste a little better or be cooked long enough.

indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #15 of 18

You know, on this "I followed the recipe" thing, since hubby and I have been in positions where we were the ones who hired people, we have taught our children "If I wanted to hire people who just did what they were told, then I could hire trained monkeys and pay them less than minimum wage. But I'm sure that's NOT the kind of job you want when get out into the world. And that's not the kind of employee I want. I want people who know how to THINK and evaluate and make decisions. I don't want a bunch of mimicing monkeys on my staff."

The defense of "I was only following orders" kinda went out at Nuremberg, didn't it? icon_rolleyes.gif

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:11pm
post #16 of 18

Question for you all...On the cake shows on tv, they always make very thin cakes, and then just layer as needed. No cutting, except leveling. What pans do they use for these thin cakes??

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:57pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:

You know, on this "I followed the recipe" thing, since hubby and I have been in positions where we were the ones who hired people, we have taught our children "If I wanted to hire people who just did what they were told, then I could hire trained monkeys and pay them less than minimum wage. But I'm sure that's NOT the kind of job you want when get out into the world. And that's not the kind of employee I want. I want people who know how to THINK and evaluate and make decisions. I don't want a bunch of mimicing monkeys on my staff."

The defense of "I was only following orders" kinda went out at Nuremberg, didn't it? icon_rolleyes.gif

Indydebi, You are too funny and I love this post!!!! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 9:46pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlonde

They actually want box cake mix so I did a little research to see how many cups a box cake mix makes and the answer was 4-6. That's a little vague.

Vague? Yes, but it really depends on the brand and the flavor. The different flavors among a brand make different amounts of batter. So there isn't one set answer to your question.

Do you know what flavors and brands you are going to use?

DH brand makes 5-6 cups batter. Golden butter makes the most at 6 cups. White is closer to 5 and the others tend to fall somewhere in the middle.

BC and Philsbury make 4-5 cups. Again white seems to be on the lower end and chocolate higher end.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%