Too Much Butter Flavor In European Meringue Bcs

Baking By kger Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 12:20am by LindaF144a

kger Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:59am
post #1 of 7

Is there any trick to cutting the butter flavor in IMBC or SMBC? I would like use some all butter bcs sometimes, but when I make them they end up tasting like a stick of butter (and I only use unsalted. I've heard salted butter makes a more buttery flavor). I've tried 3 recipes: one is from the cake bible. I've tried imbc and smbc.

Any one having the same problem? Perhaps it's just my palate, but even so, I can't possibly put something on a cake that I wouldn't personally eat.

6 replies
AbouttheCake Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 11:45am
post #2 of 7

That's kind of the point of IMBC and SMBC...they're "true" buttercreams. They're also meant to be eaten at room temperature. If the icing is cold on a cake it will taste more like a stick of butter.

If you really want to lessen the flavor, cut the butter in half and substitute an equal amount of shortening. This will not only change the flavor but will make it a little bit more 'heat' stable.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by atcake

If you really want to lessen the flavor, cut the butter in half and substitute an equal amount of shortening. This will not only change the flavor but will make it a little bit more 'heat' stable.

and therefore turn something real into yet another piece of Americanised fake junk icon_rolleyes.gificon_cry.gif . What would be the point in that?!

PattyT Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 7

Don't just use plain unflavored SMBC or IMBC. It's a base to add any type of flavoring you like. A bit of lemon juice gives it a bit of acid, and salt always helps. Any flavor extracts are good too, but I take suggestions from the Nick Maglieri Perfect Cake buttercream. Melted dark, milk, white chocolates (milk choc is AMAZING on peanut butter cupcakes), lemon curd, raspberry puree, liquers anything...

Edited to add: I do follow the recommendation in the book that if you are freezing SMBC, freeze it unflavored. Then add any flavorings you like when you've thawed and are re-beating at room temp.

kger Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 7

Oh, good idea to add the flavoring. I wonder how white chocolate would do as a standard flavor for me.

FACSlady Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 7

I'm with you, kger. The butter flavor is overwhelming, and I'm a huge butter fan - put it on everything. Definitely adding the flavoring helps a lot. I think next time I might substitute a bit of high ratio, even if it isn't good for you. Too much butter isn't either. Not that that ever stopped me from eating it!

LindaF144a Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:20am
post #7 of 7

White Chocolate would be awesome because that's what I do all the time. If I am not adding anything like pureed fruit, or chocolate I always add white chocolate, about 3 oz, but you can do it to taste. I never use SMBC alone.

But I agree with the OP, SMBC should not be eaten on its own. It should be a base for other flavors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%