Gold Painted On Fondant, Royal, Etc...

Decorating By apetricek Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 2:59pm by anney

apetricek Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:51am
post #1 of 2

Ok so I got the newest addition of the CC magazine...LOVE the cakes in there. I want to know what to use to achieve the look of the gold painting on some of the cakes? There is an Alice one, and a couple other ones. I use luster dust with vodka, but mine is NEVER that shiney, and bright....any ideas, or where to get what you all use..thanks, I plan on emailing the few from the mag. and see what they suggest...thanks,

1 reply
anney Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 2

I paint on lustre dust mixed with half dipping alcohol and half confectioners glaze (both of which I buy in small bottles from local cake decorating shops). The glaze seems to make the lustre dust spread more evenly than just using alcohol and you can build up several coats to get a depth of colour without brushing off what you have already put on, it also stops it rubbing off when you handle the pieces. The only drawerback is that you can't clean the brush in water, I use a litte of the dipping alcohol on a paper towel to get the bristles clean- don't let them dry out before attempting to clean them, I lost a really good brush that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%