Covering With Fondant In Advance?

Decorating By BlueBurd Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 5:43am by catlharper

BlueBurd Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:30am
post #1 of 2

I have a cake due Saturday morning. I baked, wrapped and froze yesterday. Tonight I let them thaw slightly, then filled, re-wrapped, and weighted the top to let them settle for 4 hours before going back in the freezer. I still need to carve it (a purse cake), crumb coat and cover in fondant.

I work FT and have a 2-year old at home, so I like to do a little at a time during the week - doing as much as I can in advance.

How far in advance can I cover the cake in fondant and decorate? I'm afraid of the fondant drying out and turning to elephant skin if to far in advance. Can it be refridgerated? Stuck in the freezer?

I want to do it right - will be up all night Friday if I need to....just hoping I dont NEED to! icon_smile.gif TIA!!!!

1 reply
catlharper Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:43am
post #2 of 2

Ok, so first of all you complicated it a bit. Once you baked and cooled your cake you could have torted, wrapped and frozen the cake till you were ready to use them. Then, out of the freezer, fill, crumbcoat and then let sit for at least 3 hours to come to room temp on the counter. Since it's going to be a carved cake all you need to do is carve it after filling but before crumbcoating while still frozen. Then crumbcoat and let come to room temp and settle for 3 hours. Then do your final coat of buttercream or fondant. If the cake is due Saturday morning you can finish it up as early as Thursday morning and still be assured the cake will be fresh. Any more than that and you could get either dry or mushy (if there is fruit filling). HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%