Cake Batter Per Size Of Pan? Point Me In The Right Directio

Decorating By jewelamber8 Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 8:33pm by schwammrs

jewelamber8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelamber8 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:36am
post #1 of 18

I just bought this with my Michaels 50% off coupon:
Celebrate It 14/10/6x3-inch Set Round Cake Pan.

I tried to make a cake in the 10 inch pan using one cake mix (betty crocker) and the cake crowned really badly and turned out being really thin. I pretty sure that I used the correct amount of ingredients. Is there a guide for how much batter you should use for each size cake pan. I keep seeing all of these beautiful tired cakes, but I don't understand how they get the cakes to be so thick and pretty.

I appreciate any help you can provide. I'm sorry if there are previous post on this. I searched, but couldn't find any.

17 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:45am
post #2 of 18

Definitely! Google the Wilton Serving size chart. It will tell you how many cups of batter for each size pan. One box cake is only enough for about 2 8 inch round pans. That's about 1 cake tier. You can also find extender recipes on this website. They will tell you ingredients to add to a box cake to get more batter. Try the White Almond Sour Cream recipe (WASC).

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:54am
post #3 of 18

This should help:

http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator.cgi

Also, you're not counting on one layer being your entire cake are you? I only ask that because of your question about the thickness of cakes. Even if you use one layer, you can still torte and fill it to make it taller. Add another torted layer and you've got a pretty tall 4-layer cake going on.
For any pan 10" and over you need to use either a metal flower nail or some other core in the center to help with doming and to cook the cake evenly. One cc'er here uses a cleaned soup can as a core...I haven't tried it but it sounds interesting. I always fill my pans 3/4 full so I make sure to have a rise above the pan. I like being able to level it when it's still in the pan. I don't use 3" pans...just 2". HTH somewhat!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:09am
post #4 of 18

Stay tuned in here on CC and I promise you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about cakes. Have fun!

jessiq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessiq Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 18

my 8 and 10 round pans are 3 inch pans. I use one box for the 8 and 2 for the 10. I still don't think they are as tall and pretty as everyone else. I usually only cut the cake in half and put icing between. Sometimes I'll do 2 cuts (3 layers). Is this why my cakes are not as tall? Should I use 2 inch pans, or just always do 4 layers?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 18

A 10" round pan (2" deep) takes one Betty Crocker cake mix. If it domed high and was thin at the edges, I'd suggest you use the baking strips and reduce your oven temp. Your oven was too hot for that cake. The metal in the pan bakes the cakes edges faster than the cake in the middle can bake (think back to 3rd grade science where we learned how metal is a conductor of heat).

Here's the science of why that happens and how baking strips will fix it: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6626888.html#6626888

I never measure batter by cups. Here's what I use and I use Betty Crocker exclusively:

1 cake mix makes: two 6" rounds with batter leftover or two 8" rounds.
2 cake mixes make: two 10" rounds or two 8" squares
3 cake mixes make: two 12" rounds or two 10" squares
4 cake mixes make: two 14" rounds or two 12" squares

jewelamber8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelamber8 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 18

Thank you all so much! This helps a lot! Carmijok - I'm not planning on one layer being the entire cake...just the one part of the tier.

I'm new at doing all of this cake decorating, but I love it! It is such a creative release!

schwammrs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schwammrs Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:10am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I never measure batter by cups. Here's what I use and I use Betty Crocker exclusively:

Great info! Do you have a similar list for square pans? I think I'm baking two 8", two 12" and two 16" (all pans 2" deep). (And I plan on using Betty Crocker mixes.)

indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwammrs

Quote:

Great info! Do you have a similar list for square pans? I think I'm baking two 8", two 12" and two 16" (all pans 2" deep). (And I plan on using Betty Crocker mixes.)

The 8/10/12 squares are listed above. Two 14" square uses 6 mixes. Two 16" squares (gosh, you're taxing my memory here!) at least 7, maybe 8. The number of mixes (or standard cake recipe, assuming one recipe makes two 8" rounds .... most of them do) go up proportionately.

schwammrs Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:46am
post #10 of 18

Hmm, late last night I totally missed that your list included "squares" too instead of just "rounds"! Oops! icon_lol.gif Thanks, indydebi! This helps a lot!

HarrietBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarrietBakes Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

For any pan 10" and over you need to use either a metal flower nail or some other core in the center to help with doming and to cook the cake evenly. One cc'er here uses a cleaned soup can as a core...I haven't tried it but it sounds interesting. HTH somewhat!

Hi there... could you direct me to a How To article re. 'coring' a cake? I have never even heard of this but it makes sense: to cook to inside of the cake evenly, right? But with a soup tin wouldn't there be a hole in the middle of the cake? I don't really understand (I am very new to this too!)

Thanks very much.

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:14pm
post #12 of 18

I bake form scratch, however, I weigh my pans, fill then weigh pan with batter. I fill my pans to 2/3 or 3/4 full when I weight. I make note of the weight of each size with batter since not all batter will weigh the same with the same volume (3/4 or 2/3 full).

I am so tired of leveling cake so I really need to start using the strips...too much left over cakes.

indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:20pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:

Two 16" squares (gosh, you're taxing my memory here!) at least 7, maybe 8.

I was asking my daughter if she remembered how many mixes I used (she was big help! I got the rolling eyes as an answer! icon_lol.gif ), but hubby said that sounded like a LOT just for one tier.

A reminder that a 16" square cake will serve 128 people. I use 6 or 7 mixes for a simple 3 tier cake to serve 100, so 8 mixes for the 16" square DOES sound about right. thumbs_up.gif

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #14 of 18

VaNella I am thinking if you google you'll be able to find something, it's very common! HTH!

JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 18

VaNella I am thinking if you google you'll be able to find something, it's very common! HTH!

HarrietBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarrietBakes Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 8:59pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez

Sorry! Thanks!

JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:15pm
post #17 of 18

VaNella, I would have given you a link but I know that if you google it you'll get tons on the subject and it would probably be faster then we would link you to one! :]

schwammrs Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 8:33pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:

Quote:

Two 16" squares (gosh, you're taxing my memory here!) at least 7, maybe 8.

I was asking my daughter if she remembered how many mixes I used (she was big help! I got the rolling eyes as an answer! icon_lol.gif ), but hubby said that sounded like a LOT just for one tier.

A reminder that a 16" square cake will serve 128 people. I use 6 or 7 mixes for a simple 3 tier cake to serve 100, so 8 mixes for the 16" square DOES sound about right. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks again, indydebi! So helpful! (And I can just imagine your daughter's reaction... icon_lol.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%