"choosing A Budget Friendly Wedding Cake!"

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 12:51am by costumeczar

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:31am
post #1 of 6

http://www.youtube.com/user/DexKnowsWeddings?v=CyUT7TttYBQ&feature=pyv&ad=3602446436&kw=wedding%20cakes

I saw this link on my youtube page and just had to check it out.

Thoughts????? Comments????

I liked how she mentioned that the whole small cake plus a sheet cake doesn't really save money. Also how she mentioned that it helps for the bride to bring in ribbons, cake jewelry and the like, because she basically said "my time is valuable and it should be spent working on your cake, not running around to different stores thinking 'is this the style of broach she would want?'" Obviously not her words, but I could tell she was thinking it!

5 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 6

This is the most intelligent discussion on cake pricing I've heard. Great find!! No where does she start trashing the baker as an over-priced headache. No where does she suggest making your own...in fact she even says bring in your bling and she'll put it on!

thumbs_up.gif

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 6

Great video . . . makes good sense!!! icon_smile.gif

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 6

Love it. Very upfront and honest.

Vkandis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vkandis Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

I liked how she mentioned that the whole small cake plus a sheet cake doesn't really save money.

Not particularly good advice as she is discussing the policies for her bakery and not the what every bakery does. In fact if you go to Carlo's Bakery's website Buddy states precisely the opposite (only using this example because I am familiar with the site).

Frankly his position makes much more sense, they charge a flat fee for their additional sheet cake. Her justification for the servings costing the same is nonsensical as the factored into the cost of the wedding cake would be the level of decoration, additional supplies in the forms of structural supports, non icing decorations such as flowers etc which would not be used to "decorate" back up sheet cake which no one sees.

Charging the same price per serving enables her to make the most she can off each wedding cake (good for her) but bad advice as not as all bakeries follow the same pricing and suggesting so would be disingenuous.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:51am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vkandis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

I liked how she mentioned that the whole small cake plus a sheet cake doesn't really save money.

Not particularly good advice as she is discussing the policies for her bakery and not the what every bakery does. ...

Charging the same price per serving enables her to make the most she can off each wedding cake (good for her) but bad advice as not as all bakeries follow the same pricing and suggesting so would be disingenuous.

I wouldn't call it disingenuous just because it pertains to what she does...Everyone does things differently, I think that people are smart enough to know that. I charge almost the same for sheet cakes as for wedding cakes, based on the fact that it's extra baking time if someone goes from a three-tier that serves 100 to a three-tier that serve 75 plus a sheet cake. You just added time to my schedule in baking, filling and icing an extra cake. If she gives advice for her bakery more power to her, people are always free to shop around.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%