Fondant Emergency! Please Help!~!!!!! It's Due Tomorrow Am

Decorating By katibeth88 Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 3:27am by Alfiesmom

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:57am
post #1 of 12

I've made two different batches of fondant. One Michele Foster's (without white chocolate or anything) and one MMF (with jello). i rolled out the MMF and prepared to cover a 12 inch round (4 ish in. high) cake. All was SOOOO perfect and smooth going on UNTIL it began to tear in two places. after removing the fondant from the cake, i was able to salvage some pieces that didn't have chocolate buttercream stuck on it. Now i'm trying to re-knead it so that i can try to put it on the cake again but i'm getting confused with the sugar and crisco rules. I feel like i've read that one does one thing and the other does another thing and then in another post it'll flipflop. (or maybe its all just running together)

ANYWAY my Michele Foster fondant isn't working either! It's sticking to every possible surface i try to roll it out onto.

I made both batches last night and they were perfect consistancy. since then, the weather has changed.
IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO FIX THEM???

11 replies
mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:04am
post #2 of 12

I have a terrible time with MF fondant sticking to everything too. I don't think I will make that recipe again, I've tried twice. Sorry I can't be of much help.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:05am
post #3 of 12

If your fondant is to soft and strethcy, just knead in some PS. As for sticking, you can lightly smear some crisco on your surface or dust corn starch or powdered sugar.

Sandy

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:06am
post #4 of 12

All I can do is wish you luck. I will only use commercial fondant.

ps/cs will dry your fondant. Crisco will moisturize it a bit.

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:07am
post #5 of 12

Now its all super hard and tearing!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:16am
post #6 of 12

I have only the best of results using MFF. Use cornstarch when rolling it out. This fondant likes cornstarch. icon_wink.gif How much did you knead it before you tried to use it? I knead the He## out of it...it requires alot of kneading "initially". I take a handful at a time and knead then knead it all back together...after that first initial kneading it's a "piece of cake" to use. Grease your hands liberally with crisco before kneading the MFF. I use this fondant exclusively and it sounds like you didn't knead it enough for starters. I don't take mine out of the mixer or stop adding powdered sugar until I can stick my finger into the fondant and leave an indention without any sticking to my finger. Once it does this I stop adding powdered sugar and turn it out onto my worktable that has been greased WELL with Crisco. I probably smear about 1/4 cup down and I also grease my hands and knead for about 5 minutes before wrapping in plastic to rest. I do hope that it works for you because this really is a good fondant. It is the only one that I will use. I make several batches every week.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:20am
post #7 of 12

I use MMF all the time, at this point i would knead some crisco and (very little water, if crumbling). knead quickly till it comes together in a ball, and coat w crisco. Wrap tightly in cello and let rest an hour or two.
Fix your BC, is it crusting?? When you try to re-roll, grease your hands lightly, clean your surface, and use CS to dust. You will have to work quickly, lift and turn fondant and add CS as needed. I roll on my rolling pin, using CS as i roll.
Secure top sides to help prevent pressure tearing. Make sure your fondant isn't too thick.
This happens every so often, even though i swear i do my fondant the same...who knows. But this works for me, i have never had to thrpw out my fondant, only Satin Ice...lol.
Oh yeah, and good luck!

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:23am
post #8 of 12

I've only used the MMF and have really liked it. I agree that you probably didn't knead it all the way. I always test the fondant by pinching it a little, if it cracks that means I need to keep kneading it. Once you pinch and get a smooth look it's ready. Also if I don't work fairly quickly it can dry out (especially when using CS or PS ) and that will cause it to tear or crack easily. I'm no pro but this works for me! HTH

dolcceart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcceart Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:27am
post #9 of 12

Hello, I think by this time you already solved your problem, but I'm going to post anyway because it happened to me just this morning too with MMF!!!... it was a small cake with little decoration that I had to deliver by noon... my surprise when it was on the cake it riped off!!... I knead it with a little sugar, let's say 1/4 cup for half recipe but it was still sticky and bubbly so I knead on about a couple of spoons of cornstarch and used a lot of cornstarch to roll it, every turn, a little more cornstarch at the bottom and the top... it came out just perfect!!... I tryed to roll the MMF with crisco and it tourned out soooo soft!!! DON'T!!
now, I'm trying to figure out what made my MMF so sticky this time because I use this recipe all the time and is great!... I think it's because I didn't use the same brand of Marshmallows, used a cheaper and stickier one!!

lilerintron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilerintron Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:45am
post #10 of 12

When it starts to dry out and get hard or start to look like elephant skin, I like to pop it back into the microwave with a little water then re-knead it. Works every time.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:56am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by katibeth88

Now its all super hard and tearing!

When mine gets like this and looses its elasticity and seems hard, I've added a little glycerin. That stuff is like magic.

Sandy C

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:27am
post #12 of 12

I always have the can of PAM at my work table. If Powdered sugar or corn starch isn't working, I spray it, my hands, and the table and start kneading again. I think maybe next time, try & repair the tear without ripping it all off

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%