Sides Of Cake Crumbling?

Decorating By LePetitCakes Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 2:54am by matthewkyrankelly

LePetitCakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:46am
post #1 of 11

How do I keep the bottom sides of my cake from crumbling after removing them from the pan?

I always wait at least 10 minutes after taking the cakes out of the oven before removing them. I grease the pans and line the bottom with parchment paper, so the cake is not sticking.

Should I let them cool in the pans longer? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it's becoming a huge pain to piece them back together.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

10 replies
Ballymena Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #2 of 11

Have you run a knife around the sides of the pan before taking it out?

LePetitCakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:03am
post #3 of 11

Yup, I always run a knife around the sides of the pan as well.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:18am
post #4 of 11

If the cake is done and not dry, then there needs to be an adjustment to your recipe. What is it? what kind of pan are you baking in?

christephenie Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:19am
post #5 of 11

I am sure everyone has their own method this is what I do and it never fails me: I use cake release (Wiltons or recipe on CC), only lightly grease the bottom, after cooling for 10 min i go around the sides of pan with thin knife (keep knife clean as you go around) works for me everytime.

MessMaker Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:32am
post #6 of 11

is your cake sticking to the pan? from reading your question it seems that your cake is crumbling apart after you remove it right? it that is the cake you then its probably not any thing you did, its probably your recipe....what recipe are you using?

Fancicakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #7 of 11

Sorry for the length -I hope this helps. I use Wilton cake release. I tip my pans gently from side to side during the 10 minute cooling period (slightly longer if the cake is really large) to help the cake pull away from the sides. I only run a knife around the edge if the cake is not pulling away on its own. When I do use a knife, I find a section where the cake is pulled away then carefully slide the thinnest butter knife I have between the cake and the side of the pan and gently press against the cake to help it pull away, slide over 1/2 an inch and repeat all the way around the cake. Then I tip it back and forth as I described earlier so that the cake (barely) slides back and forth in the pan. Then I lay a cookie cooling rack over the cake, invert, and tap the bottom of the pan with a large wooden spoon. I say a prayer and gently pull the pan off the cake lifting just the left, then just the right, to make sure the cake is releasing before evenly pulling the pan from the cake. place another rack on top and re-invert so that the cake cools completely with the top up. This system works well for me. I have occasionally had a piece stick to a pan when I haven't cooled long enough.

bmoser24 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:55am
post #8 of 11

I have had this happen too. I use a equal part mixture of crisco, oil, flour (baker's grease) as my pan grease. I do side well ALL the way to top end. I slighty do the bottom, because I cut a piece of wax paper, using the pan as a template, and put in before the batter.
I notice that by doing this and abking at 325, My side are already released from the sides. I never have a problem removing, and bottom is perfect...remember not too much bakers grease on bottom or it will be greasy.
Never use butter or margerine...this WILL stick. I know your talking about the sides, but i believe this Grease mixture, also seals my sides. ~Easy and cheap!

LePetitCakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:09am
post #9 of 11

Thanks for your help everyone!

My cakes are cooked through with a great texture, not at all dry. I'm using a vanilla cake recipe and Magic Line pans.

3 3/4 cups cake flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon plus 2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 sticks (10 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups plus 1/3 cup buttermilk
5 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

I have some Wilton Cake release, and will give that a shot next time and see if that helps.

cathyscakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:13am
post #10 of 11

I thought I had this problem licked to. I started using the cake release and never had any problems. Then the last cake I did, it happened again. Still used the cake release, but I had used duncan hines butter recipe cake mix and doctored it with sour cream and pudding, and this was the problem. I later learned that the butter mixes don't work well with doctored recipes. It made the sides too fragile, I guess, still not sure. So I think some recipes make a sturdier cake, and some make it more fragile. At least its what I have found. You can still make it work. The last cake I did, the cake looked horrible. Some crumbled, some pulled away from the sides and didn't line up when put together, so I had to trim the sides. I mixed up cake spackle and completely covered the cakes to make them smooth, before icing. It worked great, and you couldn't tell the cake had problems. Cake spackle is cake crumbs, filling, and buttercream, mixed into a paste.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:54am
post #11 of 11

Is this a go to recipe that all of a sudden has a problem? Meaning, you like the taste but it always does this or this is new?

Quote by @%username% on %date%