Rolling Out Fondant

Decorating By d925marie Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 2:48am by cheatize

d925marie Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:26am
post #1 of 10

Just wanted to get a general idea of what you use to roll your fondant out on. I have been using my wilton mat, and it angers me EVERY time i use it. I really want another one, just don't know what is the best way to go.

If you guys could tell me what you use and why, that would be awesome icon_smile.gif

9 replies
catlharper Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:38am
post #2 of 10

I just use the large square Wilton mat and it works just fine for me. For white fondant (or fondant that will be painted) I roll it out on Powdered sugar and for colored fondant I roll it out on crisco. The matt is about 20x20 and seems to do the job perfectly.

leah_s Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:42am
post #3 of 10

I just roll it out on the counter. And I only use veg shortening.

Donnabugg Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:49am
post #4 of 10

Some posters have suggested using vinyl mats available at your local fabric store. hth

mamawrobin Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #5 of 10

I bought a yard of vinyl at wal-mart for $2.22 in the fabric department and when I'm covering a large cake I roll my fondant out on it so that I can just lift the mat and all over onto the cake. I have granite counter tops so I just dust with cornstarch and roll my fondant on them for most cakes and other things like bows and such. I don't care for the Wilton mat either. I have one but at the moment I don't even know where it is. icon_lol.gif

frankdiabetes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:09am
post #6 of 10

I like my blue Ateco mat.

artscallion Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:20am
post #7 of 10

I just roll on my counter. I use a mixture of half PS & half CS that I keep in a flour shaker.

d925marie Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:28am
post #8 of 10

Thanks guys, I'm going back and forth between getting the ateco mat and just buying some vinyl. I definitely need to do something soon, that wilton mat just ins't cutting it.

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:28am
post #9 of 10

I roll all fondant--white, colors, and chocolate--on a piece of vinyl or a silicone mat with a smear of crisco.

HTH
Rae

cheatize Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:48am
post #10 of 10

The vinyl tablecloth fabric is cheap enough to try before investing in Ateco. Half a yard will be enough as a full yard is too much unless you're covering a mondo cake.

If you hate the Wilton because it's sliding around, very lightly dampen the surface underneath. I don't like mine because the edges are curled and it's not big enough for some cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%