Powdered Sugar Vs. Cornstarch

Decorating By Krissygirl Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 8:32pm by mom2twogrlz

Krissygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krissygirl Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 14

Duff Goldman uses cornstarch to keep fondant from sticking, but other bakers use powdered sugar. What are the pros and cons of both and which should I use?

Thanks!!

13 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:26am
post #2 of 14

I use cornstarch. The fondant that I use works much better when I use cornstarch to roll it out on. If I'm not mistaken the only problem with using cornstarch is when you're also using marzipan under your fondant. Some kind of chemical reaction occurs but I can't remember exactly what it is. icon_lol.gif. So...if you don't use marzipan you should be safe using cornstarch for your fondant. icon_wink.gif

Cornstarch also leaves residue on the fondant but I use a steamer or a pastry brush with a little Crisco to easily remove any traces of it. Of course powdered sugar also leaves residue.

I also use a vinyl mat that I bought in the fabric department at wal-mart for $2.22 a yard. A yard will make several mats. You don't actually have to use anything but a thin coat of shortening when using the vinyl but I use cornstarch with mine...I just can't seem to work with fondant without using cornstarch icon_razz.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:39am
post #3 of 14

not a fan of cornstarch...seems to dry out my fondant. So I use PS for white fondant or fondant I'm going to paint, and crisco for colored fondant...works great

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:41am
post #4 of 14

I use veg shortening for all fondant.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

I also use a vinyl mat that I bought in the fabric department at wal-mart for $2.22 a yard. A yard will make several mats.

I like this idea. I'm only 5'2" and need to get help from my husband fgetting the fondant on 16"+ cakes. I can do it myself but having help means no problems. The vinyl pieces would solve that problem.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:56am
post #6 of 14

I'm with robin - I have had much better luck with cornstarch than PS and I also use a vinyl mat. I bought a yard of vinyl at my fabric store for @ $3 and cut it in half & it still covered my whole countertop. I find my fondant is less sticky with the cornstarch (I use MFF and Fondarific when I can get it) and I think the cornstarch brushes off easier with a pastry brush than PS does. The vinyl REALLY helps too.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #7 of 14

I've been using 50/50 ever since.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:57am
post #8 of 14

I use no mats and powdered sugar to roll out on.

Jen icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:02am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballymena

Quote:
Quote:

I also use a vinyl mat that I bought in the fabric department at wal-mart for $2.22 a yard. A yard will make several mats.

I like this idea. I'm only 5'2" and need to get help from my husband fgetting the fondant on 16"+ cakes. I can do it myself but having help means no problems. The vinyl pieces would solve that problem.

It does help. I'm barely 5'2" anymore icon_lol.gif I swear that I use to be 5'3 1/4"...I'll be 50 this year and I think I'm shrinking.

Sincerely the vinyl pieces do help. thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:26am
post #10 of 14

Can't stand the mess of PS or CS when rolling fondant or when having to "clean up" the finished piece.

I roll on a piece of vinyl or silicone mat with a smear of crisco. No sticking and no mess.

Rae

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:49am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

I'll be 50 this year and I think I'm shrinking.

I have quite a few years on you so I just measured, I'm now 5 1/4", I've lost 1 3/4"... I think it's around my waist.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 14

I use 50/50 half cornstarch and half powdered sugar. Tried the shortening to roll out but all it does is sticks.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballymena

Quote:
Quote:

I'll be 50 this year and I think I'm shrinking.

I have quite a few years on you so I just measured, I'm now 5 1/4", I've lost 1 3/4"... I think it's around my waist.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif too funny!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:32pm
post #14 of 14

I use parchment paper. I just tape it down to my table and I'm good to go. Nothing sticks and I just pick it up and throw it away when I'm done. No more powdered sugar, cornstarch, and shortening. None of them worked as well as plain ol parchment paper. You do have to be careful not to rip it away from the tape though, that gets frustrating.

I do plan on getting a vinyl mat though, then I wouldn't have to get my husband's help with moving it to the cake. The trick is remembering to get it when I am at Walmart. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%