How Do You Pour Ganache?

Decorating By CrumblesConfections Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 4:02am by CrumblesConfections

CrumblesConfections Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 9

I've seen several cakes here with the poured ganache over the buttercream and what baffles me is how the ganche doesn't run all the way down the side of the cake. How is this achieved? Is there a certain temperature the ganache needs to be to do this?

8 replies
Rylan Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 9

Here we go:

CrumblesConfections Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Here we go:

Thanks Rylan. That looks so simple and easy. But I've seen other cakes where the ganache is covering the entire top part of the cake and drizzling down the sides and it stops before it gets to the bottom of the cake. That's what I was wondering about.

MessMaker Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:28am
post #4 of 9

Me too phoxphire1, im glad you asked the question, i will be watching your post for the entire cake answer...

Rylan Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:40am
post #5 of 9

I have done the same thing on a few cakes. Do what the person does on the video and just fill in the top with ganache and spread with a spatula.

This was one of my first attempt a while back: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1351205

MessMaker Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #6 of 9

i have heard of ppl covering a cake with ganache then putting fondant over it.... is it done the same way? or do you let it dry a little first.....?the cake im starting on Tuesday is fondant covered but i wanted to cover it with ganache first so i didnt have to mess with BC...need some helpful tips, never done ganache before...

CrumblesConfections Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:40am
post #7 of 9

Thanks Rylan. I LOVE that cake btw. I'll try this technique to see how it works for me. Thanks again.

leafO Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:32am
post #8 of 9

I love that look with the ganache covering the top and dripping partway down the sides.

The ganache needs to be warmed so it will pour but not so runny that it runs all the way down the sides. I like to heat up part of the ganache and then stir in the room temp thicker ganache a little at a time until it is the right consistancy. You can test it by holding a spoonful up, it should run down the spoon slowly. Pour over the top of the cake and spread outward until it starts to ooze over the edges. It will drip down the sides of the cake under it's own weight. It also helps if the cake is cold, it helps the ganache harden again more quickly.

I <3 Ganache! so yummy, so easy!

CrumblesConfections Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:02am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafO

I love that look with the ganache covering the top and dripping partway down the sides.

The ganache needs to be warmed so it will pour but not so runny that it runs all the way down the sides. I like to heat up part of the ganache and then stir in the room temp thicker ganache a little at a time until it is the right consistancy. You can test it by holding a spoonful up, it should run down the spoon slowly. Pour over the top of the cake and spread outward until it starts to ooze over the edges. It will drip down the sides of the cake under it's own weight. It also helps if the cake is cold, it helps the ganache harden again more quickly.

I <3 Ganache! so yummy, so easy!

Thanks leafO. Very helpful indeed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%