Ready To Give Up

Baking By crism5 Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 9:04pm by mamawrobin

crism5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crism5 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 14

I have only posted here once before and it was pretty much the same topic. I have found cake decorating by accident. I did several cakes and used MMF and it was like a dream. Summer came to Georgia and I have not done ANYTHING differently : 16 ounces mini marshmallows, 4 tbsp water, 2 lbs sifted conf. sugar, and a little crisco to knead it on after mixing it in the Kitchenaid. My last few batches have had the elephant skin look. I can tell as I knead it right after taking it out of the kitchenaid. I can't figure it out. Am I not kneading it long enough? Is it too dry? Do I need to add confec. sugar? I'm so distraught. My MMF has been impressive enough to please the folks at work, they eat it and not peel it off. I need help!! PLEASE!!

13 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 14

You may want to try adding a little glycerin. I have NEVER had any luck with MMF. I have made it several times using different recipes and have NEVER had a good result. icon_lol.gif I found Michele Foster's fondant recipe about a year ago and haven't looked back. From the first batch I was in LOVE icon_lol.gif I didn't even have a stand mixer when I first started making it and it still turned out perfect. It is "hands down" the absolute best for workability, pliability and taste...and it's inexpensive and just about as easy to make as MMF....just a much higher quality fondant. I have to make several batches a week but it is worth the time and effort because of the dependability of the product. It saves time in the long run because it's so "user friendly" that I never have to spend time re covering cakes or trying to "repair" fondant that won't "behave".

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 14

Is it the heat/humidity?

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 14

I am in Ga also and mine seems to be doing fine. I use 2 tbls water 16 oz marshmallows and just eyeball the powdered sugar, usually I have around a cup of ps left from my 2 lb bag.....hope you figure it out...

crism5 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:21am
post #5 of 14

mamawrobin: I have read so many post on that fondant I think I'll try that next. It gets so frustrating I'm willing to try something new, especially if you think it's just as easy and cost effective!

Rachie: I add 4 tbsp of water, I'll try 2 next time, after I try the other recipe. I usually eyeball the ps as well.

KayMc: I was wondering if our heat and humidity had anything to do with it but Rachie said she's getting good results so I can't blame it on Georgia's weather!I made buttercream icing with butter for my decorating class today and it slid off the entire cake on the way home. The instructor said when you use real butter in Ga summer, that's what happens. Thank God it was just a practice cake!
Thanks for the responses!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:25am
post #6 of 14

Your not working in front of an open window are you?? Or have a fan blowing on your work surface?? That will give you the elephant skin quickly.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:42am
post #7 of 14

2 tbs of water for that recipe...might be it but somehow I don't think so since until summer all was going peachy. I'm thinking it's the humidity...do you work with the AC on? Do you have a dehumidifier? Elephant skin usually means it too dry so you could just add more crisco. More PS will dry it out even more. Good luck and hang in there...summer will be over eventually!

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:05am
post #8 of 14

Hi icon_smile.gif Im in GA also and it has been HOT here... I just posted on this forum yesterday with my black icing bleeding on my white bc....I was crying .I also did a grooms cake ( fireman hat) with mmf the recipe from here and its been great icon_smile.gif I use 3 TBS water and six cups sugar and knead for about 10 mins grease and refrig until morning and knead until plyable icon_smile.gif but its been good for me but I give up on the stencils lol!

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 14

mamawrobin: where is the Michael Foster fondant recipe? I've wanted to try the MMF, but still unsure if it would actually work.

mamawrobin Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabarena

mamawrobin: where is the Michael Foster fondant recipe? I've wanted to try the MMF, but still unsure if it would actually work.

Go to recipes and type "Michele Foster's fondant" in the search box. It will pop right up for you. I use the "updated version" . which uses the microwave rather than a double boiler for heating the gelatin and syrup mixture.

This IS THE BEST fondant that I have ever used. It's the only fondant that I've used that I haven't had ANY issues with. It's just so easy to work with. It's very hot here as well and the humidity is like 110% today. I have the same results with this fondant whether it's December or July. Any gelatin/corn syrup based fondant is more "pliable" and better for workability in my opinion. It just produces a higher quality fondant than marshmallows.

If you do make her recipe make sure to strain the gelatin/syrup mixture like the recipe says. I use cheesecloth to do this. The recipe says to add the strained mixture to 2 pounds of powdered sugar and knead in mixer....once the 2 pounds has been incorportated I add a cup at a time as my mixer is kneading the fondant until I have only about 2 cups left in the bowl...oh and SIFT the powdered sugar as well.....I continue to add powdered sugar as it's kneading until I can stick my finger into the fondant and my finger leaves an impression but none of the fondant sticks to my finger. Once it does this it has enough powdered sugar. I grease (using about 1/4 cup Crisco) my work table liberally and grease my (gloved) hands WELL to knead by hand once I take it out of the mixer bowl. It may seem kind of "soft" but it has to rest for at least 6 hours before using and it firms up in the process. When you go to use it knead a couple handfuls at a time until you have kneaded the entire batch. The first initial kneading requires a little extra work...after that you don't have to knead very much when ready to use. I just won't use anything else because it's so dependable and SO yummy. I love the white chocolate version as well. It's even more pliable than the original. I can eat this fondant by the handfuls...it taste sooooo good.

sugarbabys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbabys Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 4:15am
post #11 of 14

I use the recipe that I found from the Twisted Sifter which has never failed me. It calls for a 1/2 cup of crisco shortening, 3 Tbsp of water, 16 oz of mini marshmallows and 2 lbs of powdered sugar. I absolutely love it and it's so fast and easy.

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:54pm
post #12 of 14

Got the recipe and while it looks a bit overwhelming, I am totally going to try it! Thanks!!

crism5 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:26pm
post #13 of 14

Holy cow...I am such an idiot! I made a batch of MMF 2 nights ago as a last ditch effort. Measured out PS, sifted and prepared myself mentally. My sweet sweet hubby comes over and says "That sure looks like alot more PS than you used when you started making this stuff." It hit me like a ton of bricks. Somewhere along the way I screwed up my conversions and added 4, yes FOUR cups too many of PS. When I made adjusments it was perfect. After 3 kids I have no brain cells left!!

mamawrobin Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:04pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabarena

Got the recipe and while it looks a bit overwhelming, I am totally going to try it! Thanks!!

It really isn't as "overwhelming" as it looks thumbs_up.gif It really is quite simple to make. If you do make it and need any help feel free to pm me anytime and I will help you any way that I can. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%