Wires In Cakes

Decorating By MessMaker Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 3:07am by Rose_N_Crantz

MessMaker Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 7

I see alot of wonderful cakes that have wires with decor on them that stick out the top of cakes, is there a certain type of wire that yall use? How do I stick them in the cakes? Wouldnt the wires rust?

6 replies
yummy Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 7

It's floral wire (I use the straight wires with the white cloth covering) the lower the gauge number the sturdier the wire. Place a straw or coffee stirrer in the cake and fill with royal icing or candy melts tinted the same color as your icing; stick wires in and it will harden. The wires stay in place. Never stick wires directly in cake.

MessMaker Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

It's floral wire (I use the straight wires with the white cloth covering) the lower the gauge number the sturdier the wire. Place a straw or coffee stirrer in the cake and fill with royal icing or candy melts tinted the same color as your icing; stick wires in and it will harden. The wires stay in place. Never stick wires directly in cake.

Yummy: the coffee straws are very small, how do you fill them with the royal icing? I have some of the straight wires with the green cloth covering for practicing, how do you attach the fondant decor to them? or should i use gumpaste?

yummy Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 7

Use gumpaste or 50/50 gumpaste/fondant ( all gumpaste doesn't give enough stretch when rolling; using fon/gum gives you more time to work with it). I cut out my shapes a little thick just enough where there's enough space to center the wire and push in without it coming through the front or back. You could heat the tip of the wire with a lighter and insert it, it will melt the inside and as the piece hardens it will stick. This also prevents the pieces from spinning on wires after they dry.

You could fill the stirrers with a icing bag and the smallest round tip I think it's #00. I use stirrers if I'm using 3 - 5 wires and a straw with a narrow whole and use a #2-3- or 4 tip to fill.

mrsc808 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for asking this. I'm putting some wires into a cake next week and was wondering how to keep the wire from spinning. (Although it will be a butterfly so if he spins, it will just seem like he's flying. LOL)

yummy Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 7

Mrsc808, that will definitely work.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:07am
post #7 of 7

Just wanted to share that I picked up some of the cake wires Duff is selling at Michaels, simply because I've practically read through every post on this in that old wire thread. On the packaging for the Duff wires, it says "just stick right in your cake!"

So I don't know if that means he gets them made from a food safe metal or what. The only thing is those wires are preformed into little arcs. Probably can be bent back, but I'm not sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%