Calling All Experienced Cake Decorators!! Need Bc Help!!

Decorating By DianaC31 Updated 12 Jul 2010 , 2:12am by DianaC31

DianaC31 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 10

I am really NOT a baker, which is why my friends laughed at me when I said I was taking a cake decorating class! icon_biggrin.gif

At class I learned to make the Wilton class buttercream - which, as I now know, is pretty inedible. So I found a variation here and began adding butter to my BC. I recently discovered a high humidity recipe with Dream Whip on the Wilton website. Great for piping in this weather, but not so much for covering a cake.

I am reaching out to all of the wonderful CCer's who share their tips of the trade here on CC. I need a recipe for BC that goes on a cake nicely and spreads smoothly.

Maybe it is not the recipe - maybe it is me and I just do not know how to cover the cake properly. I usually cover cake as smoothly as I can, refridgerate for a while, and then take a hot (not wet) spatula to finish smoothing. Still not happy with the results. Have read a lot about the paper towel method. Never tried it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

9 replies
PiccoloChellie Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 10

If you can get your hands on some hi-ratio shortening, I swear by this recipe:

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 10

I second the last link Piccolo included. It's IndyDebi's recipe which is almost exactly like the Dream Whip one you mentioned. She used/s it on all her stuff, so I don't understand why you're having difficulty with covering a cake in it.

I think the key to getting smooth, spreadable frosting is how long you cream the butter/shortening for. I cream mine for at least 10 minutes on high speed before adding the sugar. Then once the sugar is incorporated, I let it go again for another 10 minutes on high speed.

It also helps (if you can't get your hands on hi ratio) to use shortening that's NOT trans fat free. I just got a new bucket of crisco the other day and noticed too late that it said trans fat free on it. I thought what the heck, it's for a cake that's not going to be eaten anyways (for a contest). I tried a bit of the frosting and there was a noticeable graininess to it more than how shortening based frostings usually have.

kakeladi Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 10

Look for SugarShack (Sharon Zambino)'s recipe. It it tried and true. Wonderful - exactly as you asked for icon_smile.gif

caleyb Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #5 of 10

I have used both Sugarshack's and Indydebi's recipes for the first time within the last couple of weeks. I LOVED LOVED LOVED Sugarshack's - so smooth and creamy after 5 minutes of beating. Indydebi's has a great taste but it was "grittier" - and I did let the Crisco cream for 10 min and then after 10 minutes with all ingredients and it was gritty I let it go 5 more and it wasn't any different...what did I do wrong? I do like the flavor though.

[/quote]

ninatat Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:21am
post #6 of 10

sugar shack for me to.

PiccoloChellie Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:44am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleyb

I have used both Sugarshack's and Indydebi's recipes for the first time within the last couple of weeks. I LOVED LOVED LOVED Sugarshack's - so smooth and creamy after 5 minutes of beating. Indydebi's has a great taste but it was "grittier" - and I did let the Crisco cream for 10 min and then after 10 minutes with all ingredients and it was gritty I let it go 5 more and it wasn't any different...what did I do wrong? I do like the flavor though.

I had the same problem once with indydebi's.....I'm almost positive it was the powdered sugar I used! Made the mistake of grabbing the store brand, and I suspect that was beet sugar. Now I make sure to always get Domino brand CANE sugar and I don't have any grit issues with either recipe. icon_smile.gif

catlharper Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:51am
post #8 of 10

I just made a new batch this morning and I think the secret is actually in how long you beat the shortening. I beat mine for 20 mins then added the other ingrediants and a cup of milk (double batch) and beat that for 20 minutes and it's perfectly, beautifully smooth. No problems with spreading it onto the cake and, it being 104 here today, the cake didn't melt one little bit!

Cat

mamawrobin Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:44am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I just made a new batch this morning and I think the secret is actually in how long you beat the shortening. I beat mine for 20 mins then added the other ingrediants and a cup of milk (double batch) and beat that for 20 minutes and it's perfectly, beautifully smooth. No problems with spreading it onto the cake and, it being 104 here today, the cake didn't melt one little bit!

Cat

Cat..I have to agree with you. I'm sure that everyone knows that I beat my Crisco for at least 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients, I beat the entire time that I'm adding ingredients and after all of the powdered sugar has been incorporated I continue to beat for at least 20 minutes. So I beat mine for a total of at least 40 minutes or so. Mine is NEVER grainy/gritty. It's smooth, fluffy, light and so easy to smooth after icing my cake. Sometimes it goes on so smooth I just skip the crumbcoat.

It was about the same temperature here today as well and our humidity was "off the charts". I broke a sweat just opening the door for my son's friend to come in thumbs_up.gif Anyway, I made a double batch today for my nephew's birthday cake and didn't have any issues with it.

DianaC31 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:12am
post #10 of 10

THANK YOU everyone!!! This is why I love CC.
I had NO idea I was supposed to beat it that long! I was only creaming shortening briefly and also briefly beating once everything was incorporated. Cannot wait to try these new recipes and wonderful suggestions.
Again - can't thank you all enough! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%