Help! Have A Request For A Pokemon Card Cake! Any Ideas?

Decorating By ECUTeacher97 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 7:41pm by djoyce

ECUTeacher97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ECUTeacher97 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 6

I have a friend whose little boy requested a Pokemon card birthday cake. I have never used icing sheets- could someone explain how that works and if it is a good idea or should I do the whole thing in fondant or buttercream?

Ideas appreciated!

5 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 6

It depends on how you use them. If you put them on the cake just peel the backing off of them and place on cake. they say you're supposed to ice cake in white. You can also peel the backs off brush piping gel on rolled fondant/gumpaste, place viva paper towel over it and smooth all over with a fondant smoother. Let set for about 10-15 mins. (this depends on how thick or thin you roll fon/gum). Then cut out with sharp exacto knife. Here's a cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1484047.html

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 6

Maybe you could decorate the cake like the sheet cake in this picture ( I like the colors, stars and the logo) and then place the cards however you want on the cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1669146.html

I didn't finish my thought/make it clear about the edible image. I meant to say roll fon/gum out brush a thin even layer of piping gel, peel off backing of image, carefully place on fon/gum, place viva over it and smooth with fondant smoother. Then continue the rest of my above instructions. HTH.

Post pictures when you're finished please.

djoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djoyce Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 6

I did a pokeball using the wilton ball shaped cake pan and the kids loved it:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1068383

I also did cupcakes for daycare and they were super easy.

Have fun.
Deb

ECUTeacher97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ECUTeacher97 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:03am
post #5 of 6

Those are great ideas... he wants "Giratina" who is kind of strange looking- now I am debating do I do a gumpaste Giratina or flat on a sheet cake?

What do you think... I am making one 1/4 sheet cake for adults (just plain iced) and then a square cake 9in. for the Pokemon. I like the idea of the letters....and maybe his name...with Giratina and a Pokeball(?). I'm kind of walking in a fog with this one.... I'm hesitant b/c I know it will be 2 seconds of "Oh..nice" and then destroyed. So I don't want to spend 12 hours on this one.

Any more thoughts would be great! Those cakes were awesome!

djoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djoyce Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 6

Just a thought, but you could order an edible image off ebay - i have a gal that is super fast if you need her info - and the maybe do a pokeball too? He looks super complex. I googled Giratina and found several cool images. Another option might be a frozen buttercream transfer using one of those images.

Hope it helps..and let me know about the edible image gal on Ebay.

Deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%