Thoughts, Ideas? 1St Wedding Cake

Decorating By KatsSuiteCakes Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 5:25pm by KatsSuiteCakes

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 10

I'm working on my very first wedding cake. 3 tier. The bottom tier is 2 -12" rounds, the middle tier is 8", and the top tier is 6". I'm considering using 3-4 rounds for the middle tier, and 3 rounds for the top tier. Is this too ambitious an undertaking for the middle tier to be this tall, and if I decide to go with this idea, how do I support 4- 8" rounds? I'm not concerned with the serving count, just the look and stability. Thanks in advance for any help......Kat icon_smile.gif

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 10

I get the tier idea, I think, but how tall is each layer?

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 10

Each round baked in 2" tall wilton pans. So the tallest middle tier would be 8" tall approximately before dam, filling, and icing.

leah_s Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 10

Well, then you're basically stacking two 8" tiers on top of each other and you do it the same way you stack any other sizes. Support is needed every 4" vertical, so you'll have cardboard, cake with support, cardboard, cake with support for the upper tier.

I'd definitely use SPS for support. This is not one you want to take chances with.

Ambitious for your first wedding cake. Good luck.

When you deliver to the venue, be sure to take a copy of your insurance and license. So many venues are requiring those these days.

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 10

Put a cake board under the 8' rounds and use good dowel rods, id say atleast 1/2" dowels rods...

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 10

Very helpful info Leah.........exactly what I was looking for. My new mantra is "support for every 4" vertical"......Thanks! icon_smile.gif

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks as well 'messmaker'.......hopefully this helped you on your 3 tier question. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatsSuiteCakes

Thanks as well 'messmaker'.......hopefully this helped you on your 3 tier question. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

That it did, but whats SPS? LOL still learning all the Abbreviations. I knew the support every 4 inches vertical but didnt think to mention it... DUH!!! sometimes i feel like Homer Simpson...LOL THANKS LEAH!!!!

leah_s Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:24pm
post #9 of 10

SPS - read my siggy

|
|
|
V

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:25pm
post #10 of 10

Taking into account that Leah agrees this is "ambitious", I may just stick to a 4" tier in the middle. I want this cake to make a statement, but not while looking up from the floor.....lol. Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%