Indydeb's Buttercream Disaster

Baking By mindy1204 Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 3:01am by mamawrobin

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:44pm
post #61 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmokerton

I had a problem with it being grainy too, but I took the great advice I got here and made 3 PERFECT batches yesterday!
Dreamwhip is what makes it gainy, so after you've beaten the crisco for several minutes(it should be the consistancy of sour cream), add the dream whip, beat that for a minute or two, and then add warm milk. I guess it helps disolve the dream whip. Then you can add your vanilla and ps. It is so freakin' good icon_biggrin.gif

ETA: I don't think mamarobin or debi warm their milk, so the key may be just adding the dream whip at the right time, which, I guess is before you add any ps(the first time I added it last) I warmed the milk because I wasn't taking any chances and it came out great.

Yes..I warm the milk..it's one of the tips that I always throw out there along with beating the heck out of the Crisco. thumbs_up.gif
I always add the Dream Whip first but I never thought about it making a difference. I usually just throw it in first so that I don't forget to add it.....LOL

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:09pm
post #62 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Yes..I warm the milk..it's one of the tips that I always throw out there along with beating the heck out of the Crisco. thumbs_up.gif
I always add the Dream Whip first but I never thought about it making a difference. I usually just throw it in first so that I don't forget to add it.....LOL

I'm sorry, I thought that was the ONE tip I didn't get from you icon_biggrin.gif Damn you're good icon_lol.gif

mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:32pm
post #63 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmokerton

Quote:

I'm sorry, I thought that was the ONE tip I didn't get from you icon_biggrin.gif Damn you're good icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif I don't know how "good" I am. I'm sure I'm not the first person to suggest warming the milk before adding to buttercream. I am one that does..just not the first. thumbs_up.gif I'd bet I'm not the first to suggest beating the daylights out of the Crisco either. My grandmother use to do that 45 years ago. So...I'm pretty sure someone has probably mentioned that long before I did. thumbs_up.gif

GraceDidIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GraceDidIt Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:30pm
post #64 of 68
Quote:

Warming the milk, sifting the PS and beating the heck out if it (JUST LIKE mamawrobin and indydebi said) did the trick for me. Thank you, ladies! thumbs_up.gif

I've just started adding the Dream Whip into the warmed liquid and in my case, helped with the smoothness of the BC even better.

I started using Crisco (the non Trans Fat kind) at first, using Indydebi's recipe. I've also tried the hi-ratio shortening recently (my, they're a bit pricey icon_eek.gif) and found that the hi-ratio is not as greasy (my preference) compared to Crisco. I've since made VERY slight modifications to Indydebi's recipe (a little bit more salt to cut back on the sweetness) and LUV it still icon_biggrin.gif

@ mamawrobin and indydebi: with me using either milk, heavy cream, half & half, etc. or a flavored coffee creamer (ie. French Vanilla) what's the maximum # of days will it "keep" at room temperature based on your experience? I made some BC (used flavored coffee creamer) on July 15 and won't be able to use it until 7/24 (my sister cancelled an order). Will it still be any good? Thanks so much for your input and sooooo glad my Wilton instructor lead me to CC.

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 11:55pm
post #65 of 68

After reading all the rave reviews about the recipe, I finally gave it a try a few weeks ago and LOVE IT!!! That's all I've been making now. Although I am a newbie when it comes to this recipe, I wanted to share my thoughts regarding problems people may have encountered.

"Grainy"
1.) The first time I made the recipe I threw a little kosher salt into the mix (even though the recipe didn't call for it, but I couldn't help it - I always add a little salt). The salt did not dissolve like it usually does and left it a slight bit grainy. Second time, left salt out completely - no problems.
2.) I think the icing has a nicer consistency after it rests for a day (or overnight).

"Air Bubbles"
When I first mixed up the icing and scraped it into the bowl, I thought "Man, I have the air bubbles that people have complained about!" To my surprise, it only looked air bubbly in the bowl. Once I started applying it to the cake, it smoothed out beautifully!

mamawrobin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:23am
post #66 of 68

[quote="GraceDidIt"]

Quote:

@ mamawrobin and indydebi: with me using either milk, heavy cream, half & half, etc. or a flavored coffee creamer (ie. French Vanilla) what's the maximum # of days will it "keep" at room temperature based on your experience? I made some BC (used flavored coffee creamer) on July 15 and won't be able to use it until 7/24 (my sister cancelled an order). Will it still be any good? Thanks so much for your input and sooooo glad my Wilton instructor lead me to CC.

I've kept it for up to two weeks at room temperature and I most always use half and half. I don't know how to explain it but the sugar works to preserve the milk (half and half, cream, etc.) Your buttercream will be fine from the 15-24...just stir really good before using to kind of bring it 'back to life' icon_lol.gif

Cindy...I agree with you on both thumbs_up.gif

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:48am
post #67 of 68

Can anyone explain why this icing tasted a little bitter/metallic to me? THe husband didn't notice, though..is it just me? I've never used Dream Whip before, so I don't know if it has any taste/after taste.

mamawrobin Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:01am
post #68 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosCakes

Can anyone explain why this icing tasted a little bitter/metallic to me? THe husband didn't notice, though..is it just me? I've never used Dream Whip before, so I don't know if it has any taste/after taste.

Shouldn't be the Dream Whip. It's a whipped topping used like cool whip by many and it taste GOOD thumbs_up.gif It certainly doesn't have an 'aftertaste' Now meringue powder does...to me anyway...

This is a new one icon_confused.gif Never heard of bitter/metallic taste...could just be you. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%