Using Copyrighted Art

Business By lemonmoose Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 11:19pm by Rose_N_Crantz

lemonmoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemonmoose Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 8

Hello, I am new. I did a search for the copyright topic and came up with a couple of threads, but when i tried to click on them, it wouldnt work. so i am sorry if this a repeat question. Can someone direct me to links how I can use copyrighted work in my craft? thanks

7 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 8

simple answer:

only with the permission of the original copyright owner in writing (paper or email).

OR

by buying a licensed decorating kit -- like those sold by DecoPac

the ones sold in stores for home use can NOT be used for resale.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 8

Doug is quite correct. Unless you get some form of written permission, the copyright owner literally owns the image and you can't use it.

You can buy the DecoPac kits, but you are required to produce finished work as it is specified in the kit. You have no license to be "creative" with the materials.

AudreysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AudreysCakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 8

I understand using an image or for example making a hat with a team on it then selling it. Does this also inclue Barbie doll dresses? If I buy a barbie and make a dress is that copyright infrigment? Or what If I make a disney car out of fondant and place it on a cake? Just trying to understand. If I make a purse and use the designs that louise vuitton uses but not the LV would that be copyright usage? Thank you

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 8

client buys barbie and you dress her -- no

you buy barbie, dress her and resell her -- yes

you make disney car -- yes.

client buys disney car and puts on cake -- no

purse -- if "the average person" could tell it's an LV design - yes.

using LV logo -- yes

----

comes down to a very basic principle --

are you selling or REselling a copyrighted item.. then yes.

AudreysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AudreysCakes Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 3:31am
post #6 of 8

Makes complete sense. I just want to understand, I am very new to this, just started decorating cakes in April. I do it for fun but I am starting to get allot of attention with the cakes I have given my friends and family for birthdays, and parties. I have people are starting to ask if I would bake them a cake. So I want to make sure I'm not doing any thing I can get into trouble for. Thank you.

lemonmoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemonmoose Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 8

thanks to doug and everyone for such a clear answer. i thought as much.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 8

lemonmoose, props to you for taking the time to find out about this stuff. Most just assume it's alright to put whatever the client asks for on a cake.

Just wanted to mention professional photography. If you have an edible image printer and scanner, you need permission from the photographer before you scan their picture to put on a cake. ie. grad photos, engagement photos, wedding photos, etc. I always glance at the back of the picture for the "PROFESSIONAL. DO NOT COPY" writing or the photographer's name/watermark on the front corner.

It used to be if I saw anything that looked remotely like a professional photo I would get permission. But now since so many photographers give the client a disc with the pics that they can reproduce as needed, I look for those things I mentioned.

And getting that permission is easy. Just ask the client to contact the photographer, and the photographer can fax or mail the permission to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%