First Time Cupcake Maker! Help

Baking By cassielynn8t2 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 5:59pm by powerov5

cassielynn8t2 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:30am
post #1 of 9

Hey Everyone!
So cupcakes are a bit new for me! It just started as trying to make something cute for my nieces birthday and then it turned into people asking me to make cupcakes for them and wanting to PAY me for it! lol I thought that was crazy. Anyway, I'm trying to get into it and get better at it (doing a friends wedding in september). I work only part time so I have the time to be able to something like this from home. I'm not completley confident in my decorating skills and to be honest I use a box set (of course I let people know its not made from scratch). They usually don't care... just want a unique design. Is it ok to use box cake mixes? Should i start learning how to make it all from scratch? and if so how do I go about that? Also, how do you go about getting it out there in your area that you make cupcakes? Help everyone!!! lol
Love
cassie

8 replies
Holly12183 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:45am
post #2 of 9

Hi Cassie...I am just getting into decorating as well. So far all I've ever used is cake mixes, and I've never had one complaint. I usually doctor them up a little bit (addding pudding, sour cream, vanilla bean...etc) which adds a little personal touch, and makes the cake taste better!!

As far as transporting, I got an awesome carrying case that holds 30 cupcakes from Costco..but if you can find a cake supply store that sells sheet cake boxes that works well too.

Happy baking!!
Holly

Cake_Bliss Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:48am
post #3 of 9

I use the WASC (white almond sour cream) recipe and I have had people rave about it. It uses white cake mix and then you add some other ingred. and it puts it over the top. I had a friend of mines sons grad cake and did that recipe and her husband doesn't like white cake and he raved about it and on the 4th they came over and he was like I cannot get enough of iticon_smile.gif I have also done the same recipe using red velvet and that is awesome.

I started the same way word of mouth and stuff, it is a lot of fun. I am always looking at pics on here or looking through tutorials and on you tube. Also flickr has some really cool pics of cupcakes for ideas. Good luck with everything! icon_biggrin.gif

kileyscakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 9

I also use doctored cake mixes as well, very moist, easy everyone loves them!

_beckett_ Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:49am
post #5 of 9

I recently did a wedding cake and had to make everything from scratch for the first time and tried the WASC recipe. It is sooo good. People love it and it tastes like a bakery smells.

kger Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 11:59am
post #6 of 9

Beckett- which WASC recipe did you use?

adamsmom Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 9

cassielynn, I started selling my cupcakes this spring at our local farmer's market to get my name and product out there. I first want to make sure that you know whether your state/county allows for a home based vendor to sell baked goods out of the home. A lot of states do allow this, however, there are still some that do not. You can check into this by calling your local health dept and talking to them. After that is done and you get the all clear then I'd say get some cards, doesn't need to be anything fancy and plaster them everywhere you can for free. I've placed them in local restaurants, pizza places, grochery stores, etc. You can even get onto vistaprint.com and get 250 business cards for free (along with a ton of other things as well). Best advertisement for me has just been by word of mouth. I now am really starting to get more and more orders and things seem to be falling into place for me. I too use doctored box mixes and have yet to get a bad review. Just ALWAYS be honest if someone asks....it can bite you in the behind just like what happened to another lady in my county. She was telling people that she made from scratch, but used box mixes and they found out. People were furious that she lied, not that she used a mix. Big lesson there!! Well, best of luck and let us know what happens!

LindaF144a Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsmom

cassielynn, I started selling my cupcakes this spring at our local farmer's market to get my name and product out there. I first want to make sure that you know whether your state/county allows for a home based vendor to sell baked goods out of the home. A lot of states do allow this, however, there are still some that do not. You can check into this by calling your local health dept and talking to them. After that is done and you get the all clear then I'd say get some cards, doesn't need to be anything fancy and plaster them everywhere you can for free. I've placed them in local restaurants, pizza places, grochery stores, etc. You can even get onto vistaprint.com and get 250 business cards for free (along with a ton of other things as well). Best advertisement for me has just been by word of mouth. I now am really starting to get more and more orders and things seem to be falling into place for me. I too use doctored box mixes and have yet to get a bad review. Just ALWAYS be honest if someone asks....it can bite you in the behind just like what happened to another lady in my county. She was telling people that she made from scratch, but used box mixes and they found out. People were furious that she lied, not that she used a mix. Big lesson there!! Well, best of luck and let us know what happens!

So starting at a farmer's market has worked out well then?
I'm thinking of doing this.

powerov5 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Bliss

I started the same way word of mouth and stuff, it is a lot of fun. I am always looking at pics on here or looking through tutorials and on you tube. Also flickr has some really cool pics of cupcakes for ideas. Good luck with everything! icon_biggrin.gif

I agree with you... I started making cupcakes for friends get together's and received compliments and thats what got me started. I've been frequently using youtube and photo galleries on forums. I am a visual learner but that's just me. Good luck Cassie, and just hav fun with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%