Grandma's 80Th Birthday

Decorating By leafO Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 12:06am by suz3

leafO Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:25am
post #1 of 3

For my Grandmothers 80th birthday our family held a three day family reunion at a cabin on a lake. I was in charge of making cakes for the party. We have a BIG family so I was making 3 sheet cakes and a round two tiered cake (10&6in). I wanted It to be so beautiful for her.

They changed the schedule and moved the party up so that I only had four hours to make frosting and decorate all that cake! icon_surprised.gif

So I was making batches of buttercream frosting as fast as I could when the mixer I had brought with me broke! icon_cry.gif Not enough time to run to the store for a new one since we were in a remote location.

I got one sheet cake and the 10 in. round cake frosted but didn't have enough frosting to do the others so I covered one of the other sheet cakes in ganache that I had made as filling. The third sheet cake didn't get frosted at all.(luckily we didn't end up needing it) So grandma's cake was only 1 tier instead of two and I barely had enough frosting to do a tiny piped border along the bottom. Not enough time or frosting to do the pretty decorating I had planned.

It ended up looking nice but very simple. Grandma loved it anyways and everyone raved about how yummy it was but I was so sad it wasn't a pretty as I had planned. icon_sad.gif Oh well, not a total disaster at least it tasted good.

2 replies
KayMc Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 3

Wow! Sounds like you rallied and did a great job in spite of some setbacks out of your control! Good job!

suz3 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:06am
post #3 of 3

great recovery!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%