Piping Gel--Good Tasting Alternative

Decorating By beagledog100 Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 6:46pm by TexasSugar

beagledog100 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:40am
post #1 of 7

I am going to be making a swimming pool cake and want to create the look of water with piping gel. The only piping gel that I'm familiar with is Wilton's....and i wasn't very impressed with the taste. Is there another piping gel brand that tastes good or an alternative to piping gel to create a "pool of water"?

6 replies
yummycupcake Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:31am
post #2 of 7

Try using a clear jelly like apple. Heat it up until is soft and add some water. Add colour to it and use it right away. icon_smile.gif

mccorda Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:10am
post #3 of 7

Could you flavor and color some water, add some cornstarch and then heat it up until it thickens?

cutthecake Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:12am
post #4 of 7

I have mixed piping gel with blue buttercream for water. It wasn't clear, but it looked good and tasted better than plain piping gel.

beagledog100 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 7

Has anyone ever tried flavoring piping gel? I think I will give it a try and see what happens. I hope it doesn't get too runny.

icer101 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 7

when i make an ocean scene or pond scene or any water scene, I use my b/c for the effect(blue, blue and white mixed etc. Then i weaken my piping gel with little water and brush it over the water litely. This of course makes the glitter of the water,etc. This way, you,re not eating just piping gel. It has always worked good for me. No complaints. hth

TexasSugar Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 7

You can also use glucose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%