Candy Apple Red Fondant

Decorating By caleyb Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 12:58pm by djs328

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:39am
post #1 of 7

How would I get candy apple red fondant? I have tried all evening, wasted a ton of fondant and I am getting burgandy, maroon, mud - but can't get candy apple red...ugh!!! Please help.

6 replies
kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:03am
post #2 of 7

What are you using?

Easiest is to buy it. If you must self-color, tint it pink first, then add red. Americolor Christmas Red is great. Also try doing it little by little instead of trying to do the whole batch at the same time.

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:12am
post #3 of 7

I only saw RED fondant in the colored and that is too red - I need a cranberry or candy apple red.....so frustrated!!! We only have an AC Moore here and they carry Wilton colors. I will have to order some Americolors but too late for this cake!

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:21am
post #4 of 7

I've only done this with buttercream, not fondant, but I added a tad of cocoa powder first and then added red. Used it for Elmo's fur.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 11:48am
post #5 of 7

It's fustrating to get red with fondant. I usually just buy it. Wilton colors need to bloom, especially the red tones. I usually colour it using the no taste red, and leave it for a couple of hours between adding colour. Also don't for that BC gets darker in color when left and fondant gets lighter.
Hope that helps.

Hez1231 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hez1231 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 7

I had to make red a couple weeks ago and I used pink marshmallows (Kraft sells large pink ones that are strawberry flavored) and then added a whole jar of Wilton no taste red to the melted marshmallows and it worked well.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:58pm
post #7 of 7

You may want to consider covering it in something (paler) and close to what you want, and then paint on some red coloring to achieve the color once the fondant is set...I did that on the apple on my Twilight cake - didn't want to buy a whole thing of red fondant for that little thing, and it worked out really well! icon_smile.gif

HTH! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%