post #1 of 44

is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

43 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:38am
post #2 of 44

Two small party cakes picked up earlier, and now working on a dummy cake. no wedding orders this week. ugh.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:42am
post #3 of 44

Good evening friday night cakers........not much here this week, but I'm suppose to be retired LOL. I just finished a cake I'm donating to the church ladies for their Sunday lunch.

How is everyone else doing? And like leah_s asked...........who's working on what?

What are you going to do with the dummy cake leah?

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:43am
post #4 of 44

I am working on a cake for my daughter's bridal shower on Sunday - I am a newby but am feeling confident. I have a problem though - I am trying to make candy apple red fondant...and can't get the color - I have gotten burgandy, maroon, mud - but can't get candy apple red...any suggestions for me???

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:44am
post #5 of 44

Hello! This was a slow week for me...1 average sized cupcake order & 2 party cakes. I liked the slow 4th of July weekend...but 2 slow weekends in a row is plain awkward.

CALI_GIRL_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CALI_GIRL_CAKES Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:45am
post #6 of 44

Baking the cakes for my DD wedding. Hot here in Cali, but you gotta do what you gotta do.. icon_biggrin.gif

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #7 of 44

Newbie Kat here! Working on my very first wedding cake......due next Friday 7/16. I'm terrified and thrilled all at once. Finishing up gumpaste Calla Lily's and fine tuning placement of flowers and leaves. I have gained invaluable info and ideas here at CC.......Wish me luck!!! icon_smile.gif

thatslifeca Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:51am
post #8 of 44

Wishing you all the luck you need Katie....your gonna do great!

caleyb are you using fondant or BC

caleyb Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:52am
post #9 of 44

I am using fondant

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:53am
post #10 of 44

Nothing in the oven tonight. Plotting, planning and scheming for my dad's big birthday cake due next Saturday.

KatsSuiteCakes best wishes on your cake!

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:53am
post #11 of 44

Cake for my father in law and daughter's birthday on Sunday.

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:56am
post #12 of 44

Friday Night Cake Club Newbie, love reading what everyone is working on, and tonight I am actually working on something. Just finished a small cake for my son's bday, one for their Anniversary and 10 doz. cuppies for a party tomorrow. I am tired!

leah_s Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:57am
post #13 of 44

My dummy cake is going to a jewelry store for their case. They're usig i to display cake jewelry.

I have a big wedding show next weekend (and two weddings) so I'll be making more dummy cakes this week. I've got one more day to use those 50% off coupons for W fondant at Michaels.

------------------
The red color will take hours to develop, so don't give up on the candy apple red. You're gong to have to mix in some color, wrap it up and walk away for a couple of hour. What brand of color are you using?

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:00am
post #14 of 44

A suprise 40th birthday cake for my SIL and I had a carrot cake yesterday.

caleyb Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:00am
post #15 of 44

I am using the Wilton colors...we don't have any other colors in my town!!! What should I mix and let stand?

JulieMN Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:02am
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

My dummy cake is going to a jewelry store for their case. They're usig i to display cake jewelry.

That sounds interesting and fun!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #17 of 44

Good luck Katie, you're going to do great.

Baking two quarter sheet cakes for a Birthday Party tomorow.

thatslifeca Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:16am
post #18 of 44

That sounds like a fun Leah. I miss those days. I'm starting my sketches for a big wedding cake I have to do in Dec. other then that nothing. icon_wink.gif

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:18am
post #19 of 44

Planning my daughter's 3rd birthday cake tonight. Circus theme -- thinking about a 4 layer carved circus tent and a RKT circus train with fondant animals.

leah_s Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #20 of 44

caley, mix in some no taste red if you have it, wrap and let it rest a couple of hours. Wilton colors take a long time to develop. Frankly it's better to buy red and black fondant. If you've got a Michael's and a 50% off coupon you might be able to grab

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:21am
post #21 of 44

Planning my little sister's 50th birthday cake. I don't have to make it til next weekend but since I'm new i obsess over planning etc. I've designed it and ordered everything so now I'm thinking of making a little 6 inch test cake. I am going to use the Best Darn Choc cake recipe from CC. I guess I could use my Ad hoc box mix as a Plan b just in case.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:22am
post #22 of 44

Oops, forgot that I also have to finish up my 600 cookies for a charity - I donated 1800 cookies for summer camps!!

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:23am
post #23 of 44

No cake tonight but need to make lemon bars for my future daughter-in-laws bridal shower tomorrow.

However, I'm thinking of doing a trial run of the wedding cake this week - just one tier. It's to be fondanted and a blossom and lace pattern piped on the fondant. My friend will set it up on the day of the wedding but will only do it if I make the cake a week ahead of time and freeze it. I'm worried about condensation though.

The real wedding cake will be 4 tiers - top and bottom will be deep dark chocolate with chocolate buttercream filling; the 2nd tier will be carrot cake with cream cheese filling and the 3rd tier will be lemon with lemon filling.

Incidentally, we have the shower tomorrow, my son's birthday on Wed, his fiance's on Thurs, another shower next Saturday (from her side of the family; tomorrow is our side) and the wedding is 3 weeks after that! Whew!

Sorry for rambling on; I'm just having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact I'm old enough to have a son old enough to get married (although they will be young - 20 and 21)...this seems a little too surreal.

Thanks for listening, CC friends! icon_wink.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:25am
post #24 of 44

I'm working on my first wine bottle crate cake for a friends retirement party. I just really hope the fondant panels dry in time. They're a little sticky from painting them darker brownicon_smile.gif the bottle looks pretty cute so far.

leah_s Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:27am
post #25 of 44

Impressive!!

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:31am
post #26 of 44

i'm in the weeds!!!!!! working on a 75th birthday cake that will look like a stack of presents, a two tier castle cake that's barely even started, a two tier baby shower cake (trees and birds), and a two tier wedding cake (with a how they met theme). i need to get back to work but just had to sit for a second icon_smile.gif

JulieMN Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:32am
post #27 of 44

[quote="auntbeesbaking"]
Incidentally, we have the shower tomorrow, my son's birthday on Wed, his fiance's on Thurs, another shower next Saturday (from her side of the family; tomorrow is our side) and the wedding is 3 weeks after that! Whew! [quote]

Our family is having one of those summers too. It feels a bit claustrophobic at times....and when you are busy caking and baking for most of the events....it can feel like too much. Remember to find a moment here and there just for you to take it all in--what an exciting time for you!

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:42am
post #28 of 44

Three wedding cakes for tomorrow. One is a 5 tier with fondant drapes and sugarpaste roses. One is a 4 tier with ribbon and silver broaches on the ribbon, and the last one is a three tier with scroll work and ribbon.

Just finished stacking them. I'll put the final touches on them in the morning.

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:44am
post #29 of 44

I'm working on a Kitty Litter Cake for my sister's birthday tomorrow (shes a "crazy cat lady")...
And getting all of the accents made so I can start putting together my first dummy cake for my portfolio and website.
I love when I'm busy with cake icon_biggrin.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:54am
post #30 of 44

Happy Friday all! I'm trying to figure out how to make my daughters 8th birthday cake. Little mermaid themed. I'm thinking...lol...I know I'm going to regret this....but I'm thinking of a 3d stand up Ariel cake. Trying to figure out the structure. I think just a straight pole, with a curved connection for the tail, and a 4 way connection for the arms/head. If I can get the head, arms and tail done prior to the cake, it may not be so bad. (have family coming that week too) It would be a cool cake, I need to get my hands on an Ariel doll. They are pretty skinny, but I don't need a lot of cake. I don't know maybe it's too ambitious, but she would lose her mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%