Which, One Is The Best Cake Mix =]

Decorating By miasuzzette Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 12:27am by southernswthrt

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:02am
post #1 of 38

icon_biggrin.gif I use Kakeladis ORIGINAL White Almond Sour Cream cake recipe.
I would like to know using this recipe. Which Cake mix is the Best. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for looking and responding. Have a good one... icon_biggrin.gif

Cake Mix

1- Duncan Hines
2-Betty Crocker
3-Pillsbury

37 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:31am
post #2 of 38

IMO, Duncan Hines is the Best.

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:47am
post #3 of 38

I'm a Pillsbury girl myself, but have never really done a side by side taste either. I have been wondering though. Maybe soon.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:39am
post #4 of 38

Betty Crocker.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:04am
post #5 of 38

I usually use BC, but i noticed DH was cheaper lol so i will be tasting my first one tomorrow!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:12am
post #6 of 38

Duncan Hines for me icon_biggrin.gif I just prefer the way it performs and it also produces about 1 1/2 cups more batter than PB or BC. I don't care for PB at all. I will use BC occasionally though if it's on sale.

I also use the "original" WASC by kakeladi..."hands down" the best WASC IMO thumbs_up.gif

Liz23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz23 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:30am
post #7 of 38

I also prefer Duncan Hines. They're always moist - especially if you add extra ingredients like pudding mix.

diabolicdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diabolicdesire Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 38

I love DH. I use the pound cake recipe on the box and the cakes are so good, moist and durable. Last weekend I wanted to make a flag cake and when I went to the store BC was on sale. I said well it shld be fine to use the same recipe, just replace DH with BC. NOPE ! Def not as good of a cake. It wasn't horrible mind you but def not the same quality. Needless to say I ran out to buy DH for a cake I'm making this weekend.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 1:06pm
post #9 of 38

Duncan Hines for me thumbs_up.gif

deedee4420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deedee4420 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 38

I always have the best results with Duncan Hines

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 38

Duncan Hines gets my vote too!

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 38

I'm a Duncan Hines girl all the way! Have used BC on occasion when its on sale, but DH gives me the best results!

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I also use the "original" WASC by kakeladi..."hands down" the best WASC IMO thumbs_up.gif

DITTO!
However..I've never had any success on that recipe with DH,I am always forced to use BC icon_sad.gif but yea kakeladi's WASC is the best!!!
THANKS KAKELADI!!!
- h

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:11pm
post #14 of 38

I have been a Betty fan since day 1 - more than 30 yrs now.
Yes, I have tried the other two but always go back to my love - Bettyicon_smile.gif

When I had my last bakery I used commercial 50# bags of mix that I was told was the same as Pillsbury.
At 1st I had nothing but trouble icon_sad.gif One day I attended a show put on by one of the companies I got supplies from. They had many decorated items on display. I got to talking to my supplier telling him the problems I was having - why I wasn't reordering. He then went to get the bakers who had made the cakes and we hashed out what was wrong. I was mixing it wrong. It was important to do the mixing in the proper steps when making such huge batches. After that I didn't have any more problems.

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:40pm
post #15 of 38

DH for me, I always add extra stuff to it and it holds up so well.

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:27pm
post #16 of 38

DH for me too. Have tried some of the others before, but still prefer DH.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:44pm
post #17 of 38

BC for me, then DH, and last I don't use P Brand because I didn't like it.
icon_smile.gif Jodi

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:58pm
post #18 of 38

BC is my first choice....will use DH if it is on sale. I've not had good results using PB for any WASC recipe....

queenfa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenfa Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm
post #19 of 38

For those who adds extra stuff to DH, could you share what you add to make it hold up.My dh is always too crumbly.

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:21pm
post #20 of 38

I've tried all 3 brands and found Pillsbury to be the most tender, tasty and forgiving brand. I also love their Softasilk cake flour. It's Pillsbury all the way for me.

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:27pm
post #21 of 38

Poll- icon_biggrin.gif

DH- 11 Votes

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:28pm
post #22 of 38

Duncan Hines, the "pound cake" recipe, totally.

Don't care for BC and have not tried PB.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:51pm
post #23 of 38

Betty Crocker. It's the cake the bakery I worked for used and it was the primary cake for all their party and wedding cakes. Especially the French Vanilla, Lemon and Strawberry flavors. We doctored it with Creme Bouquet and it tastes just like scratch. (our other flavors like chocolate, italian cream and carrot were scratch cakes.) I love it when BC goes on sale for 98 cents! I stock up!

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:10pm
post #24 of 38

duncan hines for me. I use the super enhanced cake mix recipe on here so I'm adding a lot but it's always great!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:22pm
post #25 of 38

I'm a Duncan Hines user also! I love DH! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #26 of 38

I'm just curious as to why so many people do not like PB. Is it the taste or the texture or both?

I love it and it always does great with the WASC recipe for me. Then again maybe it is because I am a novice baker and don't know any better, lol.

Everyone else loves my cakes too.

Also it's like .88 at wal-mart compared to like 1.98. I am always baking for free so this is my go to.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:59pm
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by heddahope

I'm just curious as to why so many people do not like PB. Is it the taste or the texture or both?

I love it and it always does great with the WASC recipe for me. Then again maybe it is because I am a novice baker and don't know any better, lol.

Everyone else loves my cakes too.

Also it's like .88 at wal-mart compared to like 1.98. I am always baking for free so this is my go to.

What cake mix is $1.98? icon_eek.gif I pay $1.07 for DH, BC is .98 and PB is .88 per box. I have never paid more that $1.07 for a box mix. Just curious.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:22pm
post #28 of 38

mamawrobin... I am in miami and here I do not always find it in special, sometimes I also have paid that much! But I never thought of going to walmart for it icon_redface.gif I have always prefer "P" therefore I only have P at this moment,but of course as heddahoppe says we are "novices" we do not know any better. will be getting DH on my next trip to Walt Mart icon_smile.gif I do look up to you guys and thank you all for being so generous to share your knowledge with us, it sure saves us a lot time and $$$ thumbs_up.gif
CIAO

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:43pm
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahsmom

I'm a Duncan Hines girl all the way! Have used BC on occasion when its on sale, but DH gives me the best results!

Agreed!!! Duncan Hines all the way!! icon_smile.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:57pm
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Duncan Hines, the "pound cake" recipe, totally.

Don't care for BC and have not tried PB.

I have never came across the duncan hines "pound cake" . Do you use it straight out of the box or doctor it up?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%