Frozen Cake Iced Help Please

Decorating By craftybarb Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm by catlharper

craftybarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybarb Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 1:17am
post #1 of 6

I crumb coated a frozen cake with buttercream, Will it ever stop sweating and will it crust so I can get the finishing coat on I have it sitting out and a fan blowing on it, I don't no why I didn't let it thaw.

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:33am
post #2 of 6

It will eventually thaw and come to room temperature. Did that once myself icon_razz.gif NEVER again icon_lol.gif

pammylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammylynn Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:46am
post #3 of 6

Wow, now I'm worried....I took a cake out of the freezer tonight and crumb coated and then iced it right away with homemade decorator icing. I had a long day of making/frosting cakes and just wanted to be done. It's in it's box in the refrigerator. Should I be worried? It looked fine when I left the store....

I guess I'd better go in early tomorrow in case I need to make some repairs (or start over???).

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 6:41am
post #4 of 6

I never frost a cake until it is completely thawed otherwise you can have sweating or the frosting will not stick properly.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:09am
post #5 of 6

If you use a crusting buttercream the icing will not crust until the cake is completely thawed either.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 6

I crumbcoat mine right out of the freezer every single time. Thawed cake is harder to crumbcoat. The trick is to crumbcoat it and walk away for about 3 hours...THEN put on the final coat of buttercream or fondant. The bonus for this is it gives your cake time to settle (and filling has splooshed out that is going to sploosh out by this point and can be smoothed out) and the moistness of the cake is sealed inside. BUT...and this is important...I never ever put my cakes back in the fridge again after crumbcoating (I don't use perishable fillings). If you don't rush the 3 hour waiting time it works just perfectly. Oh, and Robin, I just did this about 10 mins ago and the crumbcoat is nicely crusted...so maybe using IndyDebi's recipe changes that?

So, nope, no problem with crumbcoating right out of the freezer BUT you will have BIG problems if you try to final coat without waiting for the crumbcoated cake to come to room temp.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%