Differences Between Fondants?

Decorating By vanki Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 1:41am by JeannieLudwig

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 7

What is the difference(s) between marshmallow fondant and a fondant with a corn syrup/gelatin base? I have always used mmf (and sometimes satin ice) but i am curious as to how the other types of fondants compare in texture, flavor and workability. Anyone?

6 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 7

The gelatin/corn syrup based fondants like Michele Foster's fondant are much more pliable and the workability of the fondant is much better than MMF. I call it "user friendly" fondant. icon_lol.gif

I have never had a "mishap" when using MFF ...in other words I've never covered a cake...had an issue with tearing, ripping or any other problem and had to take the fondant off and redo the cake. However..I have had those issues with Wilton, MMF and Satin Ice.

Michele Foster's recipe is "hands down" the best for workability, pliability and taste. I usually make the white chocolate version and it's even more pliable than the regular fondant.

JeannieLudwig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JeannieLudwig Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:04am
post #3 of 7

I've never heard of this fondant. Where do you get this?

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 7

Jeannie---

That is a homemade fondant.

If you want to try a good workability fondant that holds up well in high-humidity, high-heat areas, try Fondarific fondant. Check out www.fondarific.com. They are a Savannah, GA based-company; however, they can be purchased through most of the major distributors, including the one listed all over the advertisements here.

They have three base flavors: vanilla, buttercream, and chocolate. For those, you can get pre-colored in the major hues.

They also have fruit flavors that we use for cupcakes and decorations: tutti-frutti (like raspberry), cherry, chocolate cherry, orange, lemon, melon, strawberry, mocha, and others.

Check out the website. Laura and Lois are great to work with.

Paul

Darlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darlene Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 12:56am
post #5 of 7

Ditto on Fondarific! They are wonderful people too. birthday.gif

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:03am
post #6 of 7

I too like Fondarific best. It remains workable much longer than any other brand I've tried which is good for me since I'm not exactly the fastest decorator. It tastes good, too (my favorite flavor is buttercream).

JeannieLudwig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JeannieLudwig Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:41am
post #7 of 7

Thanks.. : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%