My Crumbcoated Cake Is Bulging...now What

Decorating By devorie Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 7:38am by devorie

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 8

I never had this before (but then again, I've never used this recipe before). Should I just frost and fondant as before or should I try to correct it (push the layers back) or should I say screw it to the fondant and just bc it?

7 replies
cjm109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjm109 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 8

There are tons of posts for "buldging" on this site.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 8

if you have let it set for some time, with the crumb coat, and you see the bulge, then cut the bulge( trim it down) then crumb coat a little more. let it set up a little longer , ice and lay on the fondant. hth

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 8

I would remove the excess around the center of the cake where the layers meet and crumbcoat again before I iced and covered with fondant. Did you not make a dam to hold your filling?

devorie Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the replies. Issue is, the issue is time. It's for my birthday (dammit, I want a cake and if no one will bake me one, I'll bake my own) and we're having company over in 2 hours. Robin, I made a really thick damn (it was more clay than bc when I piped it) but I did use pudding (another thing that I've never done before). I ended up pushing it back up, and sticking it into the freezer. Now, I am in SoCal and heat is a factor today but I will see what happens. Thanks, again.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 8

Well..Happy Birthday!! icon_biggrin.gif since you did dam the filling maybe it is the pudding icon_confused.gif I don't know icon_lol.gif I have never used pudding for a filling because I don't like to refrigerate my cakes. I don't use perishable fillings so that I don't have to. Hope that it all works out for you and that you have a great birthday! I'm sorry that no one would make you a cake.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 1:25am
post #7 of 8

Sorry this has happened. Happy Birthday to you. I made my own. I would rather make my own. Hubby insisted last year I should not make my own and instead got me one at Kroger bakery. It was awful. Even grandkids didn't eat very much of it. So I made my own this year and it was yummy. Good luck on getting your cake to turn out right.

devorie Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 7:38am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the wishes icon_smile.gif. The pushing back worked icon_biggrin.gif!! The people that had the cake were offering to pay me so that they can take it home - I love when that happens icon_lol.gif . So what I did in the end was just used my hands to nudge the layers back into place, stuck it in the freezer for about an hour and then into the fridge until an hour before we served dessert.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%