Question On Carving A Frozen Torted Cake.

Decorating By Kaybaby Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 6:18pm by artscallion

Kaybaby Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

I plan on torting and freezing cakes that are going to be carved. I have read throught numerous posts that say to tort, freeze and then carve. Sounds great. My question is, I have also read when you are letting a frozen cake come to room temperature, you should never uncover it or it will lose it's moisture. How does this come into play when you are carving a frozen cake?

Thank you for any clarification, I've never carved a cake before.

2 replies
lilmissbakesalot Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 3

I don't carve frozen cakes... I find it's too hard and the knife will slip on you and you chance injury (or messing up your form). I carved completely chilled cakes. Just pop in the fridge for a couple of hours depending on the size and you are good to go. It doesn't take as much force to carve and it goes much easier.

artscallion Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 3
Originally Posted by Kaybaby

Hi everyone,

...I have also read when you are letting a frozen cake come to room temperature, you should never uncover it or it will lose it's moisture...

Hi Vonda,

The above is not true. It comes from the misconception that when a cake "sweats", it is releasing its own moisture as it thaws. The reality follows...

Science lesson: (I give this lesson once a week here, at least. It seems to be my mission)

Cakes do not sweat. The moisture you see is not coming from the cake...or from the fridge/freezer. It is coming from the humidity in the warm air outside of your fridge, condensing on your cold cake when you take it out.

Water takes different forms depending on its temperature, from steam/humidity at the warm end, liquid in the middle range to solid/ice at the cold end.

When the humidity (warm/gas) in the air in your room hits the cool of your cake, the temperature changes the gas to a liquid which accumulates on the cool cake surface.

So, the cure for cakes sweating when you take them out of the fridge is to prevent the humid air from getting to your cake. If the cake is in a box when you take it out, the humid/warm/gas cannot reach the cool surface of the cake. It will hit the outside of the cool box and condense there, leaving your cake surface perfectly dry. The cake will be safe as it comes to room temp.

I leave all my thawing cakes completely wrapped until they are completely at room temp. Only then do I unwrap them. So I have no direct experience carving a frozen or half frozen cake. It may work well. But I do have direct experience with, and know the science of, condensation forming. So, I don't really have an answer for you. But you can use this information to help you make an informed decision.

Quote by @%username% on %date%