Best Way To Make Cowprint?

Decorating By cakesRfun12 Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm by cakesRfun12

cakesRfun12 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 6

What is the best way to create the cowhide print on buttercream? Friend wants Jesse cowgirl hat set on top of cowhide print with buttercream. (by this evening or in the early am.) I live in a small town and have limited supplies. I would really appreciate any suggestions or tips.

5 replies
motherofgrace Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 6

on buttercream?

If I was to do it, I would pipe it on the Viva smoth it down icon_smile.gif HTH

DeeDelightful Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 6

I would pipe spots on freehand and fill in with thinner buttercream. Just fill in enough so when it crusts you can smooth it and cover any gaps with the VIVA papertowel. I had to do zebra stripes this way. It's best if you don't try to completely fill the space, but just smooth it enough to fill the spaces. You don't want too much icing.

kger Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 6

I just did a dalmatian cake. Same principal, mine were just smaller dots. I used tip #12 with black and smooshed them around with my finger to get the random shapes I needed. Something that worked well for me was using a can of Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate and dying it black. I initially got it for piping on a FBCT, but needed to use it in a pinch when the fondant dalmatian spots weren't working like I'd hoped.

Anyway, the dark chocolate frosting in a can required very little black dye and was rather gloopy, which made it easier to manipulate into dalmatian spots.

TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 6

When I did my cow cake I painted with airbrush colors, but you can do the same thing with thinned down color gel/paste.

cakesRfun12 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 6

Wow, thank you so much for the info, it really helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%