Question About Making Gumpaste Roses With Cutters

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 5:06pm by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 9

I can't believe I even have to ask this but, here goes. I have a set of rose cutters (you know the tear drop shape type). Easy enough but I'm not sure whether I attach the petals with the pointed end down at the base or the rounded end down at the base. Help! Thanks.

8 replies
Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 9

I've never used them but you would attach the pointed end to the base of the rose so the ruffled end of the petal is at the top.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 9

Pointed end down. First, use a ball tool to thin the wide end and curl it slightly. Overlap the petals as you work around your base. Even with the pointed ends, the base can become really thick. If so, you can whittle it down with a paring knife and squeeze it a little to fan out the petals. Hope that helps.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 9

pointed end down. If you do a search on Youtube for Edna's videos, she has a video for making roses using this kind of cutter.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 9

Pointed end down....

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 9

The pointed end down. I never use the petal cutters. I always just use round cutters for my roses. Their are a lot of wonderful tutorials for roses here.

http://www.artandappetite.com/tutorials/

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 9

i also use the round cutters but ditto what every one else said,

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 9

Edan (Tonedna1) has a great video on youtube showing how to thin the edges and shape gumpaste rose leaves.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks guys! That is the way I was doing it but then I saw a picture of a really pretty gumpaste rose and the edges of the petals looked almost pointed and I got to second guessing myself and wondering if I was attaching them improperly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%