2 Tier Cake

Decorating By jojo0222 Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 12:34pm by CBMom

jojo0222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0222 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 9:44am
post #1 of 8

Hi i am new to this site and i am attempting to make my son a super mario 2 tier birthday cake but i am a bit confused on how to make 2 perfectly round and level cakes that sit on top of eachother. Please help his bday is in september but i want to try it now so if i fail i can go buy one! icon_rolleyes.gif

7 replies
aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 10:49am
post #2 of 8

which part are you confused about? With the right cake pans and a few tools, it is only a step away icon_smile.gif Lets start with your pans, do you have the proper pans to achieve this? This is the first step IMO... April

jojo0222 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:00am
post #3 of 8

Hi thanks for your reply, i am going off a recipe from another web site and it told me to use 10x2" for the bottom layer and 6x2" for the top. I have to bake 4 cakes in total........2 of each size. I have been told to use quite a dense recipe to but mine always seem to end up soft and crumbly!

jojo0222 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:05am
post #4 of 8

This is a pic of the cake i wanna make!
LL

nikinoonie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikinoonie Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:23am
post #5 of 8

I have done only 2 2-tier cakes, but they have come out well (IMO). I used the wilton 10 x 2 and 6 x 2 pans. I baked them with flower nails and cooling strips so they would bake evenly. You spray the pans to grease them ( I use baker's joy, it has flour already in it), then place the flower nail in the center of the pan and spray it too. This helps to bring some heat to cook the center of the cake, since normally the outside cooks faster. Cool, level, fill, crumbcoat. Then, frost it and chill, and then I also use the Viva paper towel method to smooth it (works likea charm). Then, decorate!

Sorry, forgot a step: crumbcoat each tier on it's own cake board, making sure to cut them to fit just underneath the cake so nothing sticks out on the sides. Then, the bottom tier goes on a cake board that is decorated for the base. The top tier will have it's own cake board so that it can be removed and sliced independently. I then figure out where the top tier will lie on the bottom one and then insert my supports ( small dowels). Finally, place the top tier on and seal the edges where they meet with teh same color frosting...THEN decorate.

Good luck...sorry there's so much info, I'm not sure if you're as new to this as I am, but here's how I do it. I learned a TON from this website, and all the how to tutorials on the forums. Happy caking, and please post pics!

jojo0222 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:55am
post #6 of 8

Hi thanks for your help, i am very new to this As in never done anything like it before........butterfly cakes are my limit . My son is 3 in sept and has spotted this cake and now wants it. To buy this cake will cost me £60 and i would rather spend my money on other things for him. So gonna give it a go! Guess i will have to go shopping! Thanks again for your help! x

jojo0222 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:01pm
post #7 of 8

Hi again this may be me being stupid but what is meant by level and fill?

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 8

After your cakes are baked, you want to level them so that they will sit flat.

And filling them - each of those 2 size cakes, has 2 layers (you're making 4 cakes)
So you have to fill in between each cake layer to get them to stick together.
You can use icing...you may see that abbreviated as BC "buttercream" here lots.

And no feeling 'stupid' icon_smile.gif We were all beginners once icon_smile.gif

If you go to www.youtube.com , and search cake decorating, cake filling, cake leveling, smooth icing, stacking cakes, etc., there are lots of tutorials that you can watch.

Cute cake by the way!!

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%