Why Do I Always Need More?!

Decorating By hollyml Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 7:41am by mamawrobin

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:14am
post #1 of 7

Buttercream, that is. I can't remember the last time I frosted a cake and had the right amount of BC. Either I'm scraping the last millimeters out of the bowl and trying to thin and stretch what's on the cake because I don't have quiiiiiiiiiiiite enough, or it's so obvious that I won't have enough that I go ahead and make another batch and then end up with way too much!

I think my crumb coats are too thick.

And I'm terrible at judging the right quantity to use for the various colors for decorations, so I usually overestimate and then don't leave enough of the base color. And find random decorating bags containing useless leftover quantities of unwanted colors and/or flavors of frosting in the back of my fridge six months later. icon_lol.gif Every once in a while these leftover bags come in handy, but more often they go to waste, which is annoying.

Sigh. Maybe someday I'll figure it out.

Anyway, so tonight I filled and crumb coated a two-layer 9x13 cake. I have very little BC left for frosting it tomorrow, but probably have enough of what I need for a border and any other embellishments I decide to add around the FBCT that's going on top.

How much fresh BC should I make to finish this cake? Opinions gladly considered.

6 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:20am
post #2 of 7

If you buy a copy of The Cake Bible she has a really helpful chart on how much frosting is needed for the top, sides, and between the layers on every size cake from 6in on up. It has bailed me out numerous times.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:03am
post #3 of 7

I always make a double batch of icing when I make it. I use Indydebi's recipe and it keeps for at least two weeks in an airtight container at room temperature. I've never "measured" how much icing I use to ice my cakes...I always just seem to have enough. icon_lol.gif

I always make a double batch so that my beaters are completely covered by the icing so that air doesn't get whipped into my buttercream while it's "making".

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:17am
post #4 of 7

I too always make double batches of BC. I keep what's left in an airtight container at room temp. I have also made 2 double batches of BC if I know I have a few cakes to do. I bought 6 quart containers from Sam's club, they come in a 3 pack. If I have BC left and no cakes to ice, I store it in the freezer if it will be a while between cakes.

I used to have the same problem, so now I just make more than enough.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:18am
post #5 of 7

I do check the (Wilton) chart, but never seem to get the right amount anyway. Which is why I say there has to be something about how I'm using it that's not what the charts expect!

Mamawrobin, remember I'm not a pro, so it's really impractical to store frosting all the time. I don't use it frequently enough. I generally do make a "double" batch (large enough batch to fill my mixer bowl), but I think for tomorrow that would be overkill, and I probably won't be making another cake for quite a while. Certainly nothing in the next two weeks! icon_smile.gif

But that's an interesting thought about avoiding getting air whipped into it. Eliminates those annoying "holes" when you spread it?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:23am
post #6 of 7

I never consider extra icing a problem. If you do, then freeze the leftover. But I'd MUCH rather spend the extra $4-$5 on making too much, than I would having to spend the $4-$5 AND the gas to run to the store AND the extra time it would take me to go to the store AND the time to make another batch when I didn't budget that time.

Time and convenience is also an expense. I've very protective of how much time I might have to waste and the inconvenience factor.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 7:41am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I never consider extra icing a problem. If you do, then freeze the leftover. But I'd MUCH rather spend the extra $4-$5 on making too much, than I would having to spend the $4-$5 AND the gas to run to the store AND the extra time it would take me to go to the store AND the time to make another batch when I didn't budget that time.

Time and convenience is also an expense. I've very protective of how much time I might have to waste and the inconvenience factor.

So very true. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%