Most Useful Cake Plateau Size Opinions, Please

Decorating By cheatize Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm by cheatize

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:17am
post #1 of 3

I had hubby cut me 2 squares from leftover wood to use to make cake platueaus. One is 16" and it looks fine. The other is 24" and it looks humongous! I'm considering asking him to cut it smaller the next time he has the saw handy. We've only gotten as far as cutting the square; we haven't purchased trim or anything yet.

Now for my question:

In your opinion, what is the most useful size?

I haven't had an order yet where a plateau was needed so I have no info to refer to. I don't even know if a 16" base cake would look okay on a 24" plateau, but I suspect it wouldn't. My largest square pan is buried in the black hole we call the Catering Closet and since I'm about to go on vacation, I'd rather not drag all the stuff out to check if it would look okay because I know I'm not gonna put it back until after vacation. LOL However, I would like to know your opinions in case I run across some great trim somewhere that I just have to buy. icon_smile.gif

2 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:50am
post #2 of 3

I prefer 2-3 inches of board round my cakes...so for a 16 inch you could go as large as 20 inches but I think 24 would look way too large. Just my 2 cents of course.

Cat

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 3

That's the way I'm leaning. The board looks huge and I can't imagine ever baking a cake that big.
Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%