How Much Should I Charge??

Decorating By ElectLady Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 1:19pm by KHalstead

ElectLady Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:10am
post #1 of 4

I am currently making a 22 in cheesecake with cherry topping, however I dont know how much to charge. Also, I am making peach cobbler for 150 people, and need to know that amount also.... Any assistance is greatly needed?? Thanks in advance.

3 replies
karateka Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:56am
post #2 of 4

You need to figure out your costs....ALL costs: electricity, gas, time, etc and set what you feel is fair. Also check your market and see what others are charging for the same service.

ElectLady Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you!! Is there like a generic number to multiply by?

KHalstead Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 4

no generic number because what you pay for butter and flour isn't going to be what I pay for your expenses won't be the same.

After you figure out exactly what it will cost you to produce ONE of these (cheesecake or cobbler) estimate how long you think you will spend, shopping, baking, decorating (or packaging), and cleaning up afterwards. Then decide what you want your rate per hr. to be and tag that on to the expense cost and you'll have a pretty good idea of cost.

For instance, one batch of cake batter to make let's say a 1/4 sheet cake costs me around $5.00, my icing costs $.33/cup so let's say I use 5 cups to ice and decorate the cake Now my total is $6.65, I pay about $1.25 for a cake board and box (now my total is $7.90 now let's say I spend 2 hrs. baking, decorating, etc. for that cake (10.00/hr. x 2 =$20.00)

My total for the cake would be $27.90 (in my area you can get this cake easily for $12.99....I charge $20.00 so in the end I make about $6.05/hr. on this cake)

keep in mind I didn't figure in time spent shopping, gas for my car, electric, gas, water, etc. that were all used while making this cake (I do keep track of those expenses as well, but I do it overall per month and subtract from my money made that month)

Quote by @%username% on %date%