Stacking Up Cakes To Freeze In A Deep Freeze?

Decorating By DebbyJG Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm by DebbyJG

DebbyJG Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:30am
post #1 of 4

I just found an old thread about freezing cakes, out of neccessity. I somehow managed to get myself two cake orders for next week, both of the orders are for big cakes for a total of about 450 servings. I've never done so much cake for one weekend before, so I took the plunge this week and started baking a week early and sticking the cakes in my (dedicated to cake stuff) freezer. (The only other thing that's in there right now is about 40 pounds of butter.) I've always been among the "I NEVER freeze my cakes!" crowd, but reading through that old thread (the last message was posted in 200icon_cool.gif, I'm wondering if maybe I just didn't make more work for myself and for no reason..

SO *my* question is, can I stack my frozen cakes on top of one another in the deep freezer and not worry about them crushing each other? So far I just have 9x13 sheet cakes in there. I have them unfrosted, on cake boards, wrapped in plastic and foil and put into big Ziplock bags. I was thinking I needed to rig up something, since the freezer doesn't have shelves, like putting stackable cookie racks in there, between a couple layers of cakes, so that they aren't all resting on each other, but is that needed? So far I just have a couple in there so I'm not too concerned yet, but after tomorrow I'll have about 8 layers of sheet cakes in my freezer. If I make sure the next layer below has already been in the freezer for a couple hours, should I worry about stacking the next layer on top of it?

Just how full CAN I stack a freezer with cakes, anyway? icon_smile.gif

Thanks for any advice. This is my first time freezing ahead of time, so I just want to make sure I do it right. I'd hate to get done with all this advance cooking, only to pull it all out next week and find I've got to recook because I have flat cake pancakes. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
cakegrandma Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:55am
post #2 of 4

The easiest thing to do is to wrap them in plastic wrap, a couple of layers, and if you have extra pans set one back in the pan and then set the other one of the same size on top of it. I always wrap mine in a clean trash bag to give extra insurance of anything happening to the cakes. Also, you could use a couple of cake boards or a cookie sheet, almost anything that is strong enough and flat to support the cakes as you stack them. I used to be of the opinion that cakes shouldn't be frozen, Ever! However, after having the need to do so once, I found that they actually hold together better and are moister with a nicer crumb. Now if I find I need to freeze any for whatever reason then I do it. I do not however leave them in the freezer for months, usually a week at the most.
Good luck and maybe you can find some shelves for your freezer at an used appliance place.

KHalstead Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:14am
post #3 of 4

I always stack my cakes, but not until after they're frozen for at least a day and pretty hard! Put them in a single layer (or if you've got the cooling racks that stack on eachother those work great too), then once they're hard stack em' up and add more cakes in a single layer, once they're hard, stack them, and so on

DebbyJG Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 4

Okay, good, that's what I've been doing. Welll....not quite for a whole day, but each cake layer was in there for at least a few hours before the next one went it. I don't have nearly enough cake pans to put each cake back into a larger cake pan like everytime I read about freezing cakes in books suggest. Who has that many extra cake pans around??

Quote by @%username% on %date%