Mmf Success

Decorating By BeanCountingBaker Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 9:53pm by BeanCountingBaker

BeanCountingBaker Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:29am
post #1 of 8

I love MMF! I was a skeptic, but I've worked with it a bunch of times and I really enjoy it and I think my results have been great. People seem to either love it or hate it, but I find it an affordable and workable product. I know there's lots of other bakers out there who don't have access to commerically made fondant but have heard mixed reviews for MMF and I just have to say . . . try it you may like it. I made a fantastick little elephant last week and some smurfs a couple months ago and it worked great.

So if you're thinking about trying MMF go for it!

7 replies
tesso Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:36am
post #2 of 8

yeah !! i too am a MMF lover. it too a few tries and finally one day it just clicked. and i have been making it ever since.

Jamielc Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #3 of 8

Same here. The other stuff is just too expensive. And Wilton fondant, forget it. I don't use it other than to make figures and such. Any fondant covered cake is MMF.

mtaylor10099 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:40am
post #4 of 8

Would anyone be willing to share and post there MMF recipe to this topic? I can't wait to try it out.

hollyml Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:04am
post #5 of 8

This:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16013/easy-marshmallow-fondant-2

Is pretty much how I do it, though I haven't noticed any difference between mini and regular marshmallows (I've used both) and I've never bothered to sift the powdered sugar.

Same thing but with American measurements, and describing the mixer dough-hook method:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15170/marshmallow-fondant-3

There are assorted variations on the Recipes page, with flavorings or other things added.

jjpow Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:19am
post #6 of 8

The recipe I use is simple.
1 16 oz bag mini marshmallows
1 2 lb bag powdered sugar

I put the mm in a microwaveable bowl with a couple tablespoons of water and melt at 30 sec intervals until its smooth when i mix it with a spatula. i then just mix in the powdered sugar with the spatula until it is too thick, then grease my hands with crisco and work in the rest. Some people say to use a little corn syrup in the mmf fondant but i never have and mine always works wonderful.

Jamielc Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpow

The recipe I use is simple.
1 16 oz bag mini marshmallows
1 2 lb bag powdered sugar

I put the mm in a microwaveable bowl with a couple tablespoons of water and melt at 30 sec intervals until its smooth when i mix it with a spatula. i then just mix in the powdered sugar with the spatula until it is too thick, then grease my hands with crisco and work in the rest. Some people say to use a little corn syrup in the mmf fondant but i never have and mine always works wonderful.

My recipe is the same, only I add 2 tablespoons of water and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla to the marshmallows before melting them. My stand mixer has a dough hook, so I let that do the work for me. I pour the hot melted marshmallows right into the bowl of (sometimes sifted, sometimes not) powdered sugar; I find it makes a smoother, softer fondant. Some say to let the marshmallows cool before adding to the sugar, but I usually don't. I generally don't have any issues. I let my mixer run a good 5 minutes, then I pull the fondant out onto a sheet of (greased) wax paper and need a few times to make sure it's smooth. Then I wrap it up and put it aside to rest, usually overnight, before I use it. I've got a lovely recipe's worth sitting on the counter waiting for my attention later this afternoon!

BeanCountingBaker Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 8

MMF Recipe

1 lb miniture marshmallows
2lb powdered sugar
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp up to 1/2 Tbsp vanilla (or combination of flavorings)
Crisco

Coat microwaveable bowl with crisco. Stir water into marshmallows and melt in 30 second intervals. Continue melting and stiring until marshmallows are melted. Generously coat counter top and hands with crisco and pour 1/2 - 3/4 of powdered sugar onto counter. Pour melted marshmallows onto powdered sugar and knead. Add more powdered sugar or drops of water until fondant reaches desired consistancy. Apply coating of crisco to completed fondant, wrap in plastic and seal in a zipper bag.

Things to remember

* Criso is your friend
* Less is more with the powdered sugar
* For a deep color or a large amount of color, add the color to the melted marshmallows.
* Roll fondant on parchment paper sheets for easy handling, it usually doesn't stick and you can lift and move large pieces to cover cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%