Where Can I Find A Square Flat Cake Dish For Home Use

Decorating By Phyllis52 Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 1:51pm by kansaslaura

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:13am
post #1 of 10

I'm trying to find a square flat cake platter for my square cakes at home, for ex: crumbcake, etc.

The only square dishes I see are the ones with a "well" in the middle like for a dinnerware set. I don't want anything fancy just something serviceable for home use, not something silver or a pedestal.

I checked all over.................I'm coming up blank.

Thanks.

9 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:20am
post #2 of 10

Try looking for cheese boards or cheese platters. They come in a variety of materials and patterns and are almost always flat all the way around.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:03am
post #3 of 10

that is an interesting idea....wouldn't have thought of it. Thanks!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:02am
post #4 of 10

Go to Goodwill or whatever thrift store you have near you. The ones around here always have square glass platters/turntables for microwaves. I have a couple of round ones and they're very sturdy. Can't beat it for 2 bucks!

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #5 of 10

Someone on here suggested the large ceramic tiles. Cheap, sturdy, dishwasher safe. Sounded like a great idea.

wyldechyld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyldechyld Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:11am
post #6 of 10

I recently ordered a piece of clear acrylic sheeting, 12" square by 1/2" thick for around $15 from Ebay.

I bought mine for use as a portable fondant-rolling surface (for when I want to create AND watch TV!) but with a few cheap stick-on non-slip feet it could make a great cake platter too. 1/2" think would easily support a cake. Ive even seen them with diamante trim stuck all around the edge for a bit of 'bling'

Just an idea icon_smile.gif

wyldechyld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyldechyld Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:12am
post #7 of 10

I recently ordered a piece of clear acrylic sheeting, 12" square by 1/2" thick for around $15 from Ebay.

I bought mine for use as a portable fondant-rolling surface (for when I want to create AND watch TV!) but with a few cheap stick-on non-slip feet it could make a great cake platter too. 1/2" think would easily support a cake. Ive even seen them with diamante trim stuck all around the edge for a bit of 'bling'

Just an idea icon_smile.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #8 of 10

Have you ever checked HomeGoods (TJMaxx)? I had seen a square white ceramic cake plate at Sur La Table and it was reeeeaaaalllyy expensive. Not 2 days later, I got the exact same plate at HomeGoods for $10!!!!!

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 10

Wow, I hadn't thought of the cheeseboard, acrylic or ceramic tiles - great ideas! I did check all the thrift stores (although I never thought of using the microwave turntable for it!) and as many stores around here that I can. I wish I had a Homegoods store - I hear they have a lot of good things in there.

I think I'm on my way back to Goodwill and Lowe's. Thanks so much for all your help everyone.

I knew you guys at Central Central would have ideas for me! thumbs_up.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:51pm
post #10 of 10

In a pinch a piece of foam board, covered, cut to size works great. But I really like the idea of a large ceramic tile!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%