Cake Height & Sps

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 12:43am by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 7

I have a baby shower cake due next weekend for my cousin. It's 12, 8, & 6 inch tiers. I have purchased SPS plates and 4" columns.

My question is what is the best way to level and fill my cakes so they are even with the 4" columns? I never really paid attention to height before, because I was using bubble tea straws and cut them to the correct length.

I am only doing a two layer cake with one layer of filling. I always use the Wilton coupler to do a dam around the bottom layer and then fill. I guess I need to figure out the thickness of the filling and level the cakes accordingly to equal 4 inches?

How do you guys do it? Thanks!

6 replies
cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 7

Have you tried searching for leah_s' words of wisdom about SPS? She is the go-to guy for SPS, and she can answer any questiosn you may have.

AnnieCahill Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 7

A while back I did read the SPS thread with the instructions. I think I will check that out again and see if there's anything out there about leveling.

I'm sure having an Agbay would make life easier. Wish in one hand...

leah_s Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 7

::runs into thread::

For a 4" tall tier, each cake will need to be about 1 7/8", plus 1/4" of filling.

Yes, it's sooo much easier with the Agbay because you can set your blade to 1 7/8"

However without . . .
1. measure the depth of your cake pan. if its a Wilton pan it's likely about 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 inches deep. I've found they're rarely actually 2" deep.
2. use the edge of the pan and laying a serrated knife flat against the edge, level you cake.
3. If the pan is deeper, then take the cake out of the pan, put in a cardboard (or two, however many you need. Do the math.) and replace your cake, then refer to step 1.

If your cake is a bit over 4" you're still OK. If your cake comes out under, then you're going to have to use a large border.

Frankly if the pan is 2" I'd probably just level to the pan anyway. By the time you complete the settling process, especially if you use my weighting tip, you'll be back at something just under 2" anyway.

cas17 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 7

i haven't been able to find that magic combination either. i will level, torte and fill my cakes to the right height leaving just enough room for the icing. let them settle overnight before icing them and i always always have a gap. i wonder if it could be some compressed cake under the pillars raising it just enough plus the settling of the cake itself making the gap, hmmm... so far i have yet been able to use the sps where i do not have to cut the pillars *sigh* i must say it's still easier just to have the 4 pillars and the plate, shove it into the tier and place your next tier. i feel less cake is destroyed than having twice as many bubble tea straws and i know that everything is perfectly level icon_smile.gif

cas17 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

::runs into thread::

For a 4" tall tier, each cake will need to be about 1 7/8", plus 1/4" of filling.

Yes, it's sooo much easier with the Agbay because you can set your blade to 1 7/8"

However without . . .
1. measure the depth of your cake pan. if its a Wilton pan it's likely about 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 inches deep. I've found they're rarely actually 2" deep.
2. use the edge of the pan and laying a serrated knife flat against the edge, level you cake.
3. If the pan is deeper, then take the cake out of the pan, put in a cardboard (or two, however many you need. Do the math.) and replace your cake, then refer to step 1.

If your cake is a bit over 4" you're still OK. If your cake comes out under, then you're going to have to use a large border.

Frankly if the pan is 2" I'd probably just level to the pan anyway. By the time you complete the settling process, especially if you use my weighting tip, you'll be back at something just under 2" anyway.

icon_surprised.gif holy cow!!! you are right leah!! icon_eek.gif i have seen this mentioned before but i have fat daddio's for my rounds and magic line for my squares. just measured & my FD are NOT 2" they are just under 2". i'd have to bake my cakes so that they spill over the top take them out put in a cake circle and level it to the top of the pan. man that stinks!! i love my FD pans! so disappointed icon_cry.gif shame on them! i placed the two pans together on the table and the top lip of the ML pan goes over the top edge of my FD pan. so not cool thumbsdown.gif [

AnnieCahill Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:43am
post #7 of 7

I will be using a combo of Wilton and Magic Line pans. I only have one of each size in the Magic Line (round) but I do have a set of 8" Wiltons.

Thanks for the tip about leveling to the pan. I'm just worried about my cake layers being to high and being squished by the plate.

I have to travel over an hour with this sucker and there's NO WAY I am using bubble tea straws!

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%