Old Meets New

Decorating By KatsSuiteCakes Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 9:43pm by KatsSuiteCakes

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 4

My decorating style is probably considered old school by today's standards. I'm making my first wedding cake for my niece, and am soooo.....intimidated right now. The baking, filling, crumb coating and icing I'm OK with. I want my buttercream to be smooth, and I'm using sugarshack's recipe, so my fingers are crossed for a nice finish. I've made gumpaste calla lily's for the top, and a few for the sides. Should I put the calla lily's on before I leave, or when I arrive at the reception site. Any advice for a first time wedding cake is much appreciated!!

3 replies
CakesbyM_LC Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 4

I prefer placing the flowers on after arriving at the reception site. This eliminates any risk of them causing any damage to the cake in transport.

As for advice, just be sure you are confident with your stacking method and be patient. icon_smile.gif and enjoy what you're doing!

Yum2010 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 4

KatsSuiteCakes..........First of all, I took the liberty to veiw your photos and check out your work and I think you do a great job. All of your buttercream work looks great. Second of all, I like "old school" its how we've all started out. I just did a cake last night for a client that called me last minute and she said I could do whatever I wanted because it was a "just because" cake (she's pregnant and had a craving) so I surely did pull an "old school" and pipe some nice shell borders and some buttercream roses (yummy!) and she loved it! Said it brought her back in time................Anyway, to answer your question, I think you should do whatever your comfortable with. I usually prefer to delivery wedding cakes fully decorated and assembled so that I can simply place them on the cake stand and I'm done or I can concentrate on touch ups if needed, but, there have been times when I placed my sugar flowers on at the shop and thought, "hmmm, I don't think this will make it" and I brought them along to place on the cake at the venue. Just remember to make extra flowers to account for breakage and bring a "cake care kit" with you in case you need to do touch ups. In my care kit i keep viva paper towels, a small spatula, a large spatula, fondant smoother, piping bags, food brushes, water bottle, small paper cups, 1 cup of buttercream, 1 cup of royal icing, and any extra flowers or accents just in case of breakage. HTH! and Good Luck!!

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the helpful info, and from my heart to Yum2010, thanks for the vote of confidence. You guys are very sweet to take the time for me!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%