Nc Buisness Owners - Do You Know?

Business By CiNoRi Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 4:59pm by Doug

CiNoRi Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 5

Where is a good place to look for information regarding the laws and procedures for "caking" out of your home? I know only the top level of things but i really want to learn as much as i can in order to do this right!

Thanks!

4 replies
TartletteTreats Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 5

Contact the NC Department of Agriculture. They are very helpful and more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Doug Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 5

you'll also need to go to local county court house and register as a business, including registering your business name.

and city might have zoning and permitting requirements too

and you need to get a tax ID number from NC Dept. of Revenue.

the Ag. Dept. will be the ones to inspect your kitchen.

OH -- MAJOR requirement -- NO, absolutely NONE -- pets of ANY type in the house!!! (husbands are exempt from this requirement)

Mom2ANC Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for starting this thread, CiNoRi

Do you mind if I jump in with some questions of my own about NC? Maybe you have these same questions.

I knew the no pets thing, and I know there is something about not having glass exposed in the light fixtures, and that there needs to be a hand washing sink available. Does the hand washing sink need to be a seperate sink? Can it be the sink in the powder room? Or can it be one side of a double sink that is identified as hand washing?
Are there any other things in the kitchen that needs to be different?
Do I need to keep my caking things seperate from my normal use stuff?
What else?

I also was told by my town that I did not need a tax ID right away, that I could wait a while and see how I like doing the business. Does that sound right?

Doug Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ANC

Thank you for starting this thread, CiNoRi

Do you mind if I jump in with some questions of my own about NC? Maybe you have these same questions.

I knew the no pets thing, and I know there is something about not having glass exposed in the light fixtures, and that there needs to be a hand washing sink available. Does the hand washing sink need to be a seperate sink? Can it be the sink in the powder room? Or can it be one side of a double sink that is identified as hand washing?
Are there any other things in the kitchen that needs to be different?
Do I need to keep my caking things seperate from my normal use stuff?
What else?

I also was told by my town that I did not need a tax ID right away, that I could wait a while and see how I like doing the business. Does that sound right?

yes, cake stuff separate and labeled.

on tax ID -- while city may let you hold off on getting the tax permit, if you sell, you MUST collect and submit sales tax to the state, so must have a state tax ID.

go to: http://www.dornc.com/electronic/registration/index.html for more info on state taxes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%