Frosting Packets??

Decorating By armywife1 Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 2:50am by JaeRodriguez

armywife1 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 18

So, I am wanting to send some frosting to Afghanistan and was wondering how to package it without risking it getting all over. Do I have to buy a vacuum sealer with the special bags that come in different sizes? TIA

17 replies
armywife1 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 18

Anyone?? ...Before I go and spend money on a vacuum sealer....

TartletteTreats Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:47am
post #3 of 18

That actually sounds like the best way to do it.

Melvira Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:55am
post #4 of 18

I have a big old vacuum sealer, but recently I bought one of those little handheld ones. The handheld one is amazing. It works just as well if not better than the big one, and the bags have zippers on them, so you don't have to cut them to get items out. Which means they are really more reusable that the big one. I put some items in them and just quickly re-vacuum them every time I open them, and they stay fresh for SO long. That should work for your needs in this situation, as well as continued use in the future.

liha21 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:13am
post #5 of 18

what about several zip lock bags, going in opposite directions? Just a thought.

armywife1 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:18am
post #6 of 18

Melvira, I actually had one of those handheld ones in my hands at Walmart today (along with the box of bags). I thought I would ask here on CC first, since this site is full of great thinkers and doer's. thumbs_up.gif Maybe I'll go tomorrow and purchase it for $20.

Liha21, I'm sure that idea would work, but I also wanted something kind of presentable. I think the guys would give me a hard time if it took them more than 10 seconds to get the frosting on the cakes. icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 18

They're really cool! You should get one. I mean, for the price and convenience they are well worth it. I rarely feel like 'dragging out' the big one, but this one is the size of a hand canopener, and just as easy to use. I can't remember the brand, isn't that awful? Handi-something? It's a Reynold's product I think. Handi-Saver?? Maybe? Anyway, they work great. It works fastest if you press some of the air out first, then seal and use the sucker. I did it once with a bag with a lot of air to see what it would do, well of course it worked, it just took a long time! icon_rolleyes.gif Go figure!

armywife1 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #8 of 18

Melvira, one more question icon_lol.gif ... is there a cream cheese frosting recipe that can be vacuumed sealed and shipped safely? Or are all cream cheese frostings destined to be refrigerated? icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks!

DeeDelightful Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:28am
post #9 of 18

Maybe if you vacuum seal and freeze the cream cheese frosting AND ship using the fastest shipping method, it might be okay. Otherwise, you really don't know what conditions it will go through before it reaches it's destination

Melvira Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 18

Unfortunately I agree that a cream cheese icing is going to be a tough one to ship unless it's packed in dry ice or some sort of cold packs, and shipped VERY quickly. The problem with that is the cost. It can easily cost an arm, a leg, and two ears! I wish one of the big shipping companies. or the USPS (come on, it's the government just like the military!!) woudl come up with some sort of free shipping deal for care packages to our soldiers. That seems like a no brainer. I know it wouldn't be easy, but think of how many people don't send things simply because of how much it costs! I mean, I sent a small bag of homemade chex mix to my grandpa in Florida and it cost around $18. And that was IN THIS COUNTRY! icon_eek.gif Not even including the cost of the product, you know? Ok, lecture over! hehe. icon_redface.gif

DeeDelightful Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:19pm
post #11 of 18

Melvira is correct! My mom shipped some frozen food from Arkansas to California and it was $47, but it was something her elderly aunt was craving, so it was a special occassion. She got it the next day, still frozen. I wouldn't take a chance on cream cheese icing.

JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 7:32pm
post #12 of 18

I'm thinking the cream cheese icing is a no go as well! If you do it however, update us! My hubby is going over soon and I'm already trying to get used to knowing what can and can't make it through the shipping!

Have you seen the cupcake in a jar thread? It looks like a great idea as far as shipping little cupcakes! Have you shipped cakes in the past?

Melvira Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #13 of 18

I tried the cupcake in a jar thing... moldy grossness. It did NOT work. I may have not done it entirely correctly or something, but it was not good.

JaeRodriguez Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:24pm
post #14 of 18

OH NO! :[ How long did it take to go moldy Melvira? :/

Melvira Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:59pm
post #15 of 18

Not long at all. It seemed to last a shorter amount of time than a regular cupcake. I mean, a regular cuppy get's stale after a few days, but this actually molded, most likely because of the moisture when it's made in the jar. I was super bummed because I wanted it to work SO badly. If anyone else has had good luck with it, let me know what I might be doing wrong!! This would be a great way to be able to ship them to people! (Of course it will be expensive because of the weight of the glass!)

JaeRodriguez Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:43pm
post #16 of 18

Did you bake them in the glass and do the seal while hot so it pops method?

Melvira Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm
post #17 of 18

Yup. And they sealed perfectly. You press on the top and there was ZERO give. When I opened it up it made the 'opening a fresh can of coffee' sound. I was so excited!! Then... ewwwww... GROSS!!!

JaeRodriguez Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:50am
post #18 of 18

Well I won't even try it! On the cupcake thread 7yyrt said something about it not being food safe to do that guess I wont even try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%