Want To Line My Pans

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm by FullHouse

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 23

I am going to try to line my pans tonight for some cakes. Can I use waxpaper or only parchment paper?

22 replies
LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 23

you can use wax paper just make sure you dont have a bunch of it sticking out of the pan or it will burn.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 23

I use primarily parchment, but wax paper works in a pinch. Like LisaMarie86 said, just make sure none is sticking up around the batter. The smell of burning wax paper is not pleasant.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 23

Curious why any paper would even be sticking up out of the batter. Are you lining the sides of your pans?

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 23

My mother used wax paper for 60 years and so do I. It's cheaper and works just as well. You only line the bottom of the pan so nothing is going to stick out of the batter. I just set the pan on the paper, draw a line around it and then cut the paper about 1/8" inside the line. I spray the pan with non-stick spray, put the paper in and spray it again. Cakes come right out. I peel the paper off as soon as I take the cake out of the pan.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by langranny

My mother used wax paper for 60 years and so do I. It's cheaper and works just as well. You only line the bottom of the pan so nothing is going to stick out of the batter. I just set the pan on the paper, draw a line around it and then cut the paper about 1/8" inside the line. I spray the pan with non-stick spray, put the paper in and spray it again. Cakes come right out. I peel the paper off as soon as I take the cake out of the pan.

Ditto thumbs_up.gif Goodness...I'd go broke buying parchment paper for baking cakes. I only use parchment if I'm baking cookies. Wax paper for lining pans ALWAYS...

mindy1204 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:28am
post #7 of 23

Do you guys line the sides? I tried but it didnt really stay so I just did the bottom. It worked great, but the sides are where I have my problems. When I run the knife around the edge to loosen I sometimes take some of the cake off. Was hoping this would help with that.

Thank you
Mindy

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:31am
post #8 of 23

I just line the bottom. I don't even need to spray or grease. Line the bottom, pour my batter, flower nail if needed depending on the size, and in the oven it goes! Comes out no problem every time. Of course, I probably just jinxed myself as I have cakes to bake later tonight for this weekend. haha. icon_biggrin.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:52am
post #9 of 23

Just the bottom. The pan spray takes care of the sides just fine.....

mindy1204 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #10 of 23

Then I am doing something wrong cause my cakes do not just drop out of the pan without running a knife around them. I use the wilton spray is that the reason?

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #11 of 23

I have been using the wilton pan spray and have not had any problems.

mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:31am
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1204

Then I am doing something wrong cause my cakes do not just drop out of the pan without running a knife around them. I use the wilton spray is that the reason?

What kind of pans do you use? I've never had any problems with my cakes sticking but I do use the pan grease and line the bottom with wax paper. I never even run a knife around before taking out of the pan.

mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:33am
post #13 of 23
Quote:

What kind of pans do you use? I've never had any problems with my cakes sticking but I do use the pan grease and line the bottom with wax paper. I never even run a knife around before taking out of the pan.

Do you or have you washed your baking pans in the dishwasher. A friend of mine ruined hers by doing that. I say ruined because apparently it did something to the finish on them because she told me she cannot make a cake that doesn't stick. Since we use the same kind of pans we figured the only difference is that she washes hers in the dishwasher and I don't.

mindy1204 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #14 of 23

I have wilton round pans... I probably at one point they got put them in the dishwasher I do not usually but sometimes my husband does. Guess there is my excuse to get new pans HEHE

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:57am
post #15 of 23

Tip for using waxed paper:
Do not use it to line a cookie sheet for baking bread (or anything else where a lot of the paper is exposed). The resulting smoke will set of your smoke alarms. This, from the voice of experience.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:08am
post #16 of 23

I put my pans in the dishwasher all the time and have no sticking issues, I also line the bottom w/ wax paper and just spray nonstick spray on the sides, my cakes pull away from the sides during cooking so there is never an issue with sticking.

What kind of recipe are you using? I can't imagine just putting your pans in the dishwasher would cause that (like I said, mine go in there all the time and I have wilton round pans as well)

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:47am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Curious why any paper would even be sticking up out of the batter. Are you lining the sides of your pans?

If I line my pans I just do the bottom but I know others who line the sides. Jennifer Dontz lines the whole pan and therefore doesn't have to wash her pans.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #18 of 23
Quote:

I think it depends on the recipe. With some of my cake, I have to do that--and some will just drop off the pan.

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:26am
post #19 of 23

I put my Wilton pans in the dishwasher once and it did mess up the look of the finish on them... they dont look to good now but it didnt cause my cakes to stick.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:49am
post #20 of 23

I only line the bottom of the pans after spraying well with PAM. When it comes time to remove the cake from the pan I run an offset spatula around the edges just to make sure all the edges come off clean and then tap it out onto a cooling rack, removing the parchment at this point, then inverting over onto another cooling rack to cool before leveling and torting. HTH. Cat

mamawrobin Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:54am
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I put my pans in the dishwasher all the time and have no sticking issues, I also line the bottom w/ wax paper and just spray nonstick spray on the sides, my cakes pull away from the sides during cooking so there is never an issue with sticking.

What kind of recipe are you using? I can't imagine just putting your pans in the dishwasher would cause that (like I said, mine go in there all the time and I have wilton round pans as well)

Ya know it may just be that her cakes stick icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Her pans don't look anything like mine anymore because I've always washed my by hand so she has come to the conclusion that it's because she's washed them in the dishwasher.....so I'm inclined to keep letting her believe that's her problem.

mindy1204 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:29am
post #22 of 23

Thanks ladies.. I will try the ofset spatula instead of the butter knife and spray the pan better and see if that works at all!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm
post #23 of 23

I coat bottom and sides really well with homemade pan grease (equal parts shortening, veg oil & flour), lay parchment on the bottom. Cakes slide right out every time, never had a problem with sticking. My cakes do stick on the bottom if I just grease the pan and don't use parchment. I will be trying waxed paper next time, hope it works as well, soooo much cheaper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%